Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the 1/4 size petcock and adaptor yesterday on my Thruxton and am pleased with the quality and ease of installation. I ordered the parts directly from Pingel ($130 with shipping) and requested the rubber gasket for the adaptor which they supplied free of charge.

When installing the adaptor using the rubber gasket, do not completely torque it down before installing the petcock. Loosely mount it to the tank then screw in the petcock with three wraps on yellow teflon tape. After screwing the petcock in to your desired position, then tighten down the adaptor. When I torqued down the adaptor without the petcock installed yet, the rubber gasket expanded and partially blocked the hole for the petcock. Other than that it was easy. No leaks and no having to file down the tank hole like you need to for the 3/8 sized petcock. Alot better than the stock Mikuni that leaked at the face/knob!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just fitted a pingel over last couple of days, It seems you can only get the 3/8th verson in UK , so I got the Hex one ,I do not understand why Pingel list the 3/8th one for Bonneville ,as Tsx123 says 1/4 is fine and you don't have to file the tank
so I spend much time filling tank and washing out bits etc , then you come to the adapter, if you follow instructions its not good,used blue sealant and gasket waited ten Mins then tried to torque down to 8 to 10 ft/lbs no way even left to cure overnight then tighten washer still began to spread so left it at that , from there on easy to install
But why don't they just machine a grove in adapter and fit rubber seal like on the Mikuni , lets be honest pingels are not cheap, and I don't think its to much to ask
however once fitted do look the part very smart easy to use, just let down by fitting of adapter

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Just fitted a pingel over last couple of days, It seems you can only get the 3/8th verson in UK , so I got the Hex one ,I do not understand why Pingel list the 3/8th one for Bonneville ,as Tsx123 says 1/4 is fine and you don't have to file the tank
so I spend much time filling tank and washing out bits etc , then you come to the adapter, if you follow instructions its not good,used blue sealant and gasket waited ten Mins then tried to torque down to 8 to 10 ft/lbs no way even left to cure overnight then tighten washer still began to spread so left it at that , from there on easy to install
But why don't they just machine a grove in adapter and fit rubber seal like on the Mikuni , lets be honest pingels are not cheap, and I don't think its to much to ask
however once fitted do look the part very smart easy to use, just let down by fitting of adapter
I am just about to do this same job.

Plasma.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi plasma
just a few tips, I fitted small strong magnets near to where I was fileing the tank helps catch most of the bits, use the blue gunk very very thin allow more than 10 mins to dry 15mins or more , you will never get it to torque to 8 - 10lbs ,I would just nip it up leave overnight then tighten up to point where gasket just begins to spread then stop, that will do , after that its easy
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hi plasma
just a few tips, I fitted small strong magnets near to where I was fileing the tank helps catch most of the bits, use the blue gunk very very thin allow more than 10 mins to dry 15mins or more , you will never get it to torque to 8 - 10lbs ,I would just nip it up leave overnight then tighten up to point where gasket just begins to spread then stop, that will do , after that its easy
Hope this helps
Thank you, that will be a great help.

Plasma.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here is a pic of mine fitted

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hi plasma
Hope this helps
Thanks to the above help, I fitted my Pingel tap this morning, I did like g0bgb said and it went well, the only problem was I couldn't get any yellow PTFE tap,so have used white for now, hope this will be ok?

Plasma.

·
Registered
363 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts