Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put some pilot road 2 on about 4 weeks ago before a trip around Spain and France approx 2000 miles and have been impressed by the grip,feedback and confidence the tyres give you but noticed a line appearing around the tyres as if they have been glued together,the front one is right down the middle and the back one about 1" to one side. Has anybody else come across this or is it a one off. I enclose some pics but it doesn't show up to well on the rear tyre.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Studly I don't think that is anything to be concerned about, some tyres also have lines appear across the tyre after a while.

It is normal in my opinion, but if you are worried you should check with your supplier.

cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Studly I have to agree with DaveM. I have had a number Pilot Road 2's on my old 2002 Sprint and put on a new set on my current 2008 Sprint after the orignal Bridgestones wore out, love them and they all had the same line on the tyre. On the 2002 sprint I use to average about 20,000km's for the back and 25,000km's for the front.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I've read in "another forum" that this is common with the PR2s. Not to worry, apparently it's just part and parcel of the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Put some pilot road 2 on about 4 weeks ago before a trip around Spain and France approx 2000 miles and have been impressed by the grip,feedback and confidence the tyres give you but noticed a line appearing around the tyres as if they have been glued together,the front one is right down the middle and the back one about 1" to one side. Has anybody else come across this or is it a one off. I enclose some pics but it doesn't show up to well on the rear tyre.
I've just done 10,400 kms from Perth to Sydney and back. I put new PR2s on before I left and there is still heaps of tread left. I have the line down the middle too but obviously nothing to be concerned about. These are great tyres!:)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've just done 10,400 kms from Perth to Sydney and back. I put new PR2s on before I left and there is still heaps of tread left. I have the line down the middle too but obviously nothing to be concerned about. These are great tyres!:)
How are they wearing in the centre, starting to flatten out? I'm in the market for new tyres and spend a lot of my time on straight roads, although I like to hit the twisties when I can so am considering these as the likely option.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How are they wearing in the centre, starting to flatten out? I'm in the market for new tyres and spend a lot of my time on straight roads, although I like to hit the twisties when I can so am considering these as the likely option.
They are squared off a bit although we did quite a lot of twisties on the trip. Overall I would say that they are superior than the Bridgestone BT 21's I had on previously for wear, handling and general road feel. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update

My tyre dealer contacted the michelin rep who informed him the lines are antistatic strips incorporated into the tyres and all the pr2s will have them and in the same place. The tyres in the pic have done about 2000 miles of which a 1000 miles of motorway and are not showing any signs of squaring off .I think they are far better than the stock bridgestones.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The thin line around the circumference / center of the tire is to control static electricity build up. PR2's and Powers are the only tire I know of that has it.
It was there on the Pilot Powers I had too. Brought my tires in to the dealer thinking it was a defect when I first noticed it on the Powers.

·
Registered
204 Posts
PR2 vs PP2CT

PR2's and Powers are the only tire I know of that has it. It was there on the Pilot Powers I had too. Brought my tires in to the dealer thinking it was a defect when I first noticed it on the Powers.
Were the PP the PP2CT? If so, since you have had both the PR2 and PP2CT, how do the compare for grip wet & dry, handling, mileage, etc.?

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Were the PP the PP2CT? If so, since you have had both the PR2 and PP2CT, how do the compare for grip wet & dry, handling, mileage, etc.?

Both the Pilot Raod 2CT and the Pilot Power 2CT hacve excellent wet weather grip, the road being slightly better.

I have used about 7 sets of Powers mine have all had horizontal lines on them not a line around the circumference I have only seen that on the Pilot Road 2CT.

However none of those lines are anything to worry about.

I have never heard of the static electricity reason Cburt where did you get that information from?:confused:

AFAIK it is just part of the manufacturing process.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I got that information from my Trumph/BMW dealer. They had a bulletin of some kind on it, so riders must have been concerned and or bringing there bikes in to be checked like I did.

It seems to be on all the Pilot Road2's and Pilot Powers because both of mine did. If anyone is concearned, I wouldn't worry about it.

The Roads at normal riding feel the same as the Powers to me. Don't push my bike on public roads w/ the foot pegs dragging, but have gotten the Roads to squirm around a little under certain corning condtions.
They will slide a bit when cold or wet but so did the Powers.
This morning a strange thing on the way to work. It had been raining, roads were wet and I was on a slight grade at 35 mph under slight throttle and every time I went over a tar strip the traction would break. Might have been from all the oil and road crap making it very very slick. I was in a straight line, so all that happened was my engine would zip up 2 or 3 hundered RPM.
Didn't freak me out, in fact it was kind of entertaining for 2 or 3 miles.
I have 3 thousand miles on these tires and they look like new to me. I was getting around 6 or 7 thou out of the Powers, so they do wear better.
I love them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have 3 thousand miles on these tires and they look like new to me. I was getting around 6 or 7 thou out of the Powers, so they do wear better.
I love them.
Wow. The most I have gotten out of a rear on my Sprint is about 3500 miles. I've run BT014s, Qualifiers, Pilot Powers and Pilot Powers 2CTs, all full-on sport tires. I would love to get more mileage but and I like the dry grip level they provide and I don't ride in the rain unless I get caught in it.

Mileage vs. Grip. I keeping hoping that someone will release a sport tire getting good mileage or a sport touring tire with excellent grip.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I've got 5,000 miles on the Sprint's PR2CT's and about 1500 on the Aprilia's PR2CT's.
The Sprint's rear tire is ready to be replaced ( see pic below) but it has worn
evenly and shows almost no flattening out.

Both bikes handle very well with the Michelin's, with high speeds and cornering being stable and controlled.
I plan to put another set of Michelin's on the Sprint , though I'm considering a Road 2CT rear
and Power 2CT front... Tom

·
Registered
77 Posts
Same Here...

Finally read this thread and went out to look at the bike, i've got the lines on mine also.

JS

PS- LOVE my PR2's! Stick like glue, wear like old underwear.

·
Registered
929 Posts
PS- LOVE my PR2's! Stick like glue, wear like old underwear.
+1 that brother

I couldn't believe how easily the bike leaned when I switched from the Pirelli Diablo Stratas that had I ran 2-3 times.
I scrubbed those chicken strips clean off in no time.

big sale on those tires at motorcyclesuperstore right now. $300 for the pair.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
My PR2's are brand new, about 60 miles and have the line.
I have a tin foil helmet liner to keep the static and voices down to a dull roar.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What pressure is everyone running here with these tires? I went with the OEM (Triumph recommendations on sticker) 36/42 on my last pair of PR2's and they developed a flat spot rather quickly (under 5k miles).

I just installed a new set of PR2's yesterday after putting a total of 11500 miles on that last pair......but adjusted the pressures to 33/38, would lowering this much be ok? Advantages/disadvantages?

I could not find a Michelin recommended pressure so I e-mailed Michelin support for an answer twice but alas have never heard back.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts