Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

It looks like one pilot jet on my Dayton 900 is blocked. Do I have to remove the carbs or is there any trick way to clear it without.

Andy.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
If it's blocked probably not..you could try a double strength RedX in the fuel or spray a bit of carb cleaner through whilst running the engine..chances are you'll be pulling them but worth a go ;-)

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Do I have to remove the carbs?
If it is truly blocked, yes. In my experience.

I have never had anything I have tried yet really unblock a pilot jet. And I have tried a lot of potions (carb cleaner, gumout, seafoam, avgas, tequila [jk about that last one, but I'd rather drink the others]). And if your carbs are full of varnish enough to clog a pilot, they should probably be cleaned-up or you'll have future complaints about how its running.

Removing the rack is not a particularly difficult task but it does take many steps to get them out without breaking anything.

I would surmise that if you have one blocked you should clean them all anyway. Again, not particularly difficult once the rack is out.

What Mot says can't hurt, but don't get your hopes up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
it does take many steps to get them out without breaking anything.
Yes, last time I broke the throttle cable and one of the petrol inlet t-pieces. This morning I snapped off the vacuum stub off carb #2. So now I need a new carb top in addition to the other parts I've bought to rebuild my carbs, which have cost me over £90 so far, plus the cost of the Carbtune! :(

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Yes, last time I broke the throttle cable and one of the petrol inlet t-pieces. This morning I snapped off the vacuum stub off carb #2. So now I need a new carb top in addition to the other parts I've bought to rebuild my carbs, which have cost me over £90 so far, plus the cost of the Carbtune! :(

The first time I pulled Trident carbs I too broke the little adjuster on the carb end of the cable :animad: (the right angle metal bit broke the head off). $40 bucks. After now refitting carbs about 2 dozen times, and learning from a some others ahead of me, it's pretty easy and nothing broken since.

The best tips I got:

1. Remove the throttle cable at the grip and just take it out with the carb rack. Note where it routes. Don't even bother to remove the throttle cable from the carbs if possible, just wrap it up so it doesn't take damage. You can undo/redo the choke at the carbs without issue.

2. If you don't split the back half of the airbox (or the first time out), use a couple of plastic strips maybe 3" x 12" (made from the material they make the cheapo for-sale signs) to slip between the inlet rubbers and airbox rubbers and carb rack on both sides. A bit fiddly but they slip out. Pull the airbox back with a bungee. I leave the rubbers on the intakes and on the airbox. A little silicone spray and they slip right out/in and don't munge up the rubbers. Silicone spray makes the carbs pop right in on reassembly.

3. The best trick I got by far is to neatly cut the back half of the airbox vertically down the middle (spine) so it can be removed by itself by pulling a half dozen screws on the airbox. This allows the carbs to go in before the airbox. A guy on the Trophy list clued me about this. You need to be a bit handy (ever build models?) to make a fine neat cut and a bit of split black vinyl tubing on one side to make a sort of an airtight gasket where they go back together. Anyway the worst that happens if you dork up your airbox is buy another one cheap. I did both mine and pulling carbs is a relative breeze.

You could always fiddle with pods but this is simpler and no d*cking with carbs and jets required.

One thing folks also apparently dork up is the rubbers folding and not getting fitted properly on refit (i.e. leaks) if you haven't done #3. Was a issue on both mine from PO before I split the airbox. With the box split you can feel around and see with all the extra room and can insure everything is fitting properly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I filled her up with redex and fuel system cleaner.

Took her out for a good blast, she is running fantastically at speed. I have also got the bikes balance just right now so it tracks every movement of weight. Its almost like it knows where you want to go before you move the bars. Had an excellent time blasting round the Fens and stopped at the Triumph dealer to look at the new models. Also picked up a fairing bolt that had stripped (They gave it to me free so it only cost the £12 worth of fuel :))

The bike runs great however it still idles like a dog barking so I guess the carbs are going to have to come out. I have done it before when the float needles wore out and it was leaking fuel. Its just its a miserable job and I'd rather be riding.

Thanks again for the advice.

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts