Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

im about to remove my airbox aswell.
i have got the unis and am trying to work out a good combo to re-jet my carbs.
i have a set of Madaz pipes which im guessing are like a predator in comparison. they definatley breathe better than TOR's

i have been thinking that a good combo would be 140-145 mains with 1 shim.
do i need to alter the pilot jet at all?
i live at sea level. does anyone have a similar setup who can advise me?

·
30,389 Posts
Standard pilots are 40's, it looks like everyone that removes the airbox goes with 42 pilots - that's what I'm going to do anyway.

I don't know anything about the madaz pipes, but I'm installing predators, and will be starting with 140 mains.

I'm also going to stick with the Dynojet needles I already have, so I don't use shims per se, and I don't know what difference that needle (and spring) will make, but it should be jolly good fun finding out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a feeling they are made in Australia. but could be wrong. i have found some info on them on UK sites before.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Madaz are made in Australia, they are very similar in design to the Staintune reverse cones.(Not as loud or open as the Predators) Some bikes require larger idle jets others dont. My 07 runs better with the standard 40s ,whilst other bikes requie 42s. The mixture screws can be turned out to compensate for the smaller pilot jets.
:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so if i run a similar setup to you. 140 mains with standard 40 jets and 1 shim should be quite safe?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The pilot jets only affect your mixture from idle to 1/4 throttle so as long as you richen the mixture screws ( screw out 1/2 to 1 turn ) and add a shim you will be fine. The pilots jets and the pilot screws overlap in this area of throttle range. There is no set data ,as all bikes are slightly differant.
;)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
When i finally got the mains and needles right on my speedmaster i left the pilots alone because from what i saw most everyone was leaving thiers stock, at least at the BA forum. So i seemed apparent they were fine even with all the mods. But after a couple years i decided to try it and upped them one size. The bike had always had some wierd issues like stalling every so often or unaccountable cutting out and other odd things. Once i upped the pilots all of that went away ! Not to mention the bike felt stronger off the line. Si i would suggest trying a size up. i tried 2 sizes up also, but that totally killed the bike's low end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts