Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend has recently bought a tiger 955i 06 plate, this is a lovely bike which we are looking forward to going touring on in the summer, my only issue/question is, where am i, as a pillion supposed to grab on when the top box is in place? Is there anything that can be attached, is it wise to use the side pannier handles? I like to hold on so i am not smashing into my partner when he brakes, and i dont really like to hold on to him as this jolts him when he changes gear or breaks, so what can i do?:confused: Many thanks charley.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Charley, welcome first of all. It's great to see a pillion member joining!

So, you don't want to slam into him when he brakes? He's braking too hard and late and not giving you a chance to adjust your reflexes. He can't ride as if he's riding solo with you on board. Try asking him to smooth it out a bit.

You can help though, without any handles or rails. Simply plant your feet on the pegs, then plant your hands on the top of your knees and push down when he's braking. It will take a bit of practice, but eventually, you'll get it. This puts more weight onto your feet and lower legs and helps keep you from sliding forward. Give it a go, but also tell him to keep it nice for you :)

You can hang on to the pannier handles if you must, but you really shouldn't need to hang on at all.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Can you not still hook your fingers around the front lower part of the rack each side?
Or, how about attaching a fabric loop between the rack and the top box that comes out just in front so that you hang on behind yer bum.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi charleyx. We have the same bike with T hard bags and top box and so have the same pillion issue. There is a an 8mm threaded hole in both sides of the frame immediately in front of the side bage mounts, a good attachment point for an over-the-seat strap or other type of grab (maybe triumph's original intent for this hole?). Wouldn't recommend using the side bag handles, not very sturdy. I also warned my wife not to hook her fingers under the front edge of the seat, as movement makes it a nasty pinch point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, for your support and suggestions, i shall looking into all the above methods, your help is much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts