Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll new on the forum.

I got my bike without a right passenger foot rest and came up with this funny idea.
Before I elaborate, I need to tell you what's up. So I got my STR with an uninstalled passenger left foot rest.
My rider coach told me for my state if you had a rear seat, it better have hand strap and foot pegs or it will fail inspection.
So now I need know if any of you can help me procure one.

Or what if I make a Cowl out of duct tape? a Duct-tape Cowl?
Just tape up the pillion "seat" area to this triangle cowl shape thing.
Do you think it will pass? Aftermarket seat cowl are just some color matched plastic that doesn't do much except for
aesthetic and physical manifestation telling people they can't sit there..

Got any other ideas?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ask the mechanic if duct-tape cowl will pass inspection, they know the rules for where you live.

For some reason I had to put the pillion seat back on my Tbird for the road worthy. Even if someone wanted to sit on the fender, I wont let them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ask the mechanic if duct-tape cowl will pass inspection, they know the rules for where you live.

For some reason I had to put the pillion seat back on my Tbird for the road worthy. Even if someone wanted to sit on the fender, I wont let them.
Hey man, thanks for the response. I ended up buying a carbon fiber cowl by bestem to match. It cost $90 shipped. I had to buy the hardware myself ~$5.

I put on the seat cowl after I chopped down the foam with an electric turkey
Knife. Saw YouTuber doing that mod to their drz400. (I'm a short rider 5'5). I thought I had fucked up when I was not able to stretch the faux leather back and staple gun wouldn't penetrate the tough plastic.

Ended up buying faux leather from JoAnns Fabrics for $12. Leather needle, thread, and sheet of foam (hides imperfections from cut up foam). It took a lot of time planning an outline, sewing, refitting, to get it right. But it worked out in the end. I ended up using thumb tacs through the holes where original staples were pulled out and ductaping the seams to the seat.

New seat cover for lowered (chopped foam) seat ended up so good I'm thinking about offering it as a service. I might get myself a sewing machine to make better stiches and do it ina fraction of the time. All that hand stiching, rethreading the needle, almost drove me insane my fingers were swollen twice the size and bruised. Haha

Anyway, here are the pics. Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Looks like your also missing rear indicators and the plate location, hmmmm....
oh well see if it passes safety inspection

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like your also missing rear indicators and the plate location, hmmmm....
oh well see if it passes safety inspection
It's got fender eliminated kit installed. But thanks for pointing that out, you've brought to my attention plate to wheel clearance in case I use lowering link.. or only adjusting sag would cause that clearance to be tighter..

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Indicators arent missing just hidden, where I live I believe there is some requirement on indicator visibility, yeah but Id be more worried about clearance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts