Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard, recently, that there is a way of increasing economy and torque by using piezo-acoustic devices on the main jets to reduce the fuel droplet size in the carb venturi to the point where it becomes pretty much vapour. I think the idea is that, as the sound waves force the jets to vibrate the liquid fuel (in much the same way as the air vibrates around a piezo-electric arc between two electrodes), it becomes sufficiently agitated to break up to a near molecular level as it's sucked through.

I'd heard of such technology being used in both diesel fuel injection and electronic ignition systems, but never in a carb. My guess is that the acoustic vibrations could be directed through the body of the carb somehow - perhaps fitted at 90 degrees to one another so that they focus the greatest amount of vibration at the point where the directed sound waves meet, ideally smack in the middle of the main jet.

A friend of mine (with a PhD in electronic engineering - so I guess he has an idea of what he's talking about) mentioned it but bemoaned the fact that his computer had crashed and he had lost all of his favourite links. He had found the necessary components to build such a device but needs the exact specifications from an article somewhere on the internet giving details of one which had already be built and scientifically tested.

Have any of you guys come across such an article?
If so, I'd love to get a link to it - especially as my friend has offered to build me some for the carbs on the bonnie when he puts some together for his Lotus.

Wodya think? :cool:

[ This message was edited by: keef on 2007-02-21 20:31 ]

·
Registered
386 Posts
My guess is it would be true, BUT, the gains wont be worth the cost of fitting the system.
Its not like the carbs are delivering giant gobs of gas, the CV part of the carb is designed to run a good vacuum all the time which atomizes the fuel quite well I would think.

So you might spend say $1000.00 on getting 1 mpg....

Brett

·
Registered
276 Posts
You'd probably get the same improvement in fuel flow by porting and polishing the intakes. From what I understand, atomization could be improved with billet intake manifolds machined with a vortex pattern.

The total pricetag would be less and probably gain the same or more. Also not carrying around extra stuff and drawing more electricity.

[ This message was edited by: Tabletop on 2007-02-22 08:58 ]

·
Registered
2004 America
1,351 Posts
If you could do it with home made materials then I would say " Why not?" If you could turn the gas into vapor the inside of your engine would be really clean and last a lot longer. I googled " Vibrate liquid fuel" and didn't come up with much unless I wanted to pay a fee. If everybody could put their minds together we might come up with a web site for you. :cool:

This kind of stuff is very interesting and you might want to ask the people in the other forums about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts