Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just wanted to introduce myself and share some pictures of our latest trip to New Zealand. My wife has owned a 2004 Triumph Daytona 600 which she takes to the track quite regularly. A couple of months ago, we took a trip down to New Zealand to escape the cold Canadian winter and rented a couple of motorcycles to tour the south island. She has always had her eye on the Sprint ST, so this was a great opportunity for her to try one out for an extended demo ride.

Anyway, since this is Triumph-related, I thought I'd share some of the pictures from our trip. I kept a daily blog with a lot more pictures which you can visit at http://www.ridedot.com/nz.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,785 Posts
Epic trip. The third pictures is fantastic; lots of them are great, but that one belongs on a Triumph brochure.

You're right about seals; it's amazing how good their rock impressions can be. I could see stepping right onto one! I've done the yellow rain glove trick too. :D

Any idea where Franz Josef got it's name?

I can relate to what you said about digital cameras becoming a wear item. What were the cameras? Ah, Nikon Coolpix...

I can relate to the remark about a camera and/or helmet glued to my face...

Great report; next time, come down to the southwest for a break from all that rain!

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Words fail me. What a wonderful place to ride and relax. I've often wondered what it would be like to ride in NZ. Now I know more than I could've before. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Excellent pics, I did a tour of the South Island last year yet some of those pics are very new to me, it's impossible to see everything.

The Franz Joseph Glacier was named by Julius von Haast in honour of the Emperor of Austria Franz Josef I of Austria, but I suspect HiDesert already knows as he's lived in Vienna.

There is also a township called Haast a bit further south than the Fox and Franz Joseph glaciers. JvH was a geological surveyor on the West Coast of the South Island, originally born in Germany.

--------------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very nice pictures. I spent 6 months traveling N and S New Zealand, not by bike unfortunately and those pictures reminded me how beautiful the country is. My one regret was not riding a bike over there, but it wasn't in the cards.

Looks like you had some pretty nice weather on the west coast. It rained every day a lot ... all day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, if you read our blog you'll see that it rained everyday for us as well. A lot! I'm starting to think that maybe NZ is not as sunny as they say it is in the summer...

Thanks for the comments, guys!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Fantastic pics. I'm wanting to ride the South Island myself sometime soon. Great place, N.Z.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts