Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
@CPORet Looks like those panniers were a carry over from an 800?? I understand the mounting racks are different on the 900, however. Is that correct? Are the new ones offset/asymmetrical like on the 800?
Must say the bike looks good in red. I’m waiting on things to calm down a little before collecting my Rally Pro. My 800 was khaki, which is the only colour for the XC models in my opinion, but I really don’t like the white frame and treatments on the 900 so have gone for black instead. It is nice to see some real colour though.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply @CPORet. I’ve ordered the tank protection bars for mine and have asked the Dealer not to fit them until they’re powder coated, along with the engine bars. I don’t know what they were thinking with the new ones - all the silver metal and white panels. At least the GTs are spared some of that. Apart from the aesthetic, the black engine bars on my 800XCX got more than one touch up with paint to hide scratches (nothing major) and always looked as good as new.
As for the offset, it still offends my OCD. I modified some universal racks on my 800 so they were even each side. Essentially had about 1 1/2 inches cut out of the RHS and used the bits to space out the left. I think I’d try to do they with the 900.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Brought this home on Thursday. Hasn’t been easy with the restrictions but have managed about 600km on it. Wow, what a bike. Waiting on a few bits and pieces, most importantly the tank protection bars, but apparently there’s virtually no accessories coming into the country at the moment.
There’s not much point restating what everyone seems to be saying. Just ridiculous!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Enduro

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Ah....TEX = Triumph Explorer. I forgot to mention that I have a Toura-tech (knock off) quick-detach light guard on the bike for off roading. That could be causing reduced lighting. One thing I dont' like is how the lighting is very poor when leaned over around a turn even without the TT guard.
I have thought about adding aftermaerket lights to help out.... I'll be honest I don't ride much at night so I have no reference.

It's awesome you're still riding at 70... in my 50's and hope to be riding just like you at your age. :) Love the 900...it's exactly what I was looking for. Great for on and off-road and not 600 pounds!

Stay safe out there.

Pic of guard I have.

I do particularly dislike the way the headlights are asymmetrical now, but I do find them adequate if not brilliant. The fog lights don't seem to do much and I’d love to be able to have them on with the DRL, mainly because I hate the one headlight look on low beam.

When I had to relocate the fog lights on the tank protection bars I was able to retain the mounting bracket by grinding just a small bit of metal on the bracket away - completely hidden - and have mounted some CREE LED spot lights there. They add just enough lighting distance and with the fog lights on and high beam all the gaps are filled in. One drawback is that I wasn’t able to find a way to hook them up to the high beam switch, not for want of trying; there’s a separate thread on that somewhere.

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
A quick video from NSW Australia. You may have up the quality

Impressive. Personally I prefer to avoid roads like that, certainly the worst bits, and am happy knowing I could if I had too, but it is satisfying to do it once in a while. You're a much better rider than I am - or maybe I just worry too much about preserving the bike.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
[QUOTE="TigerBC, post: 2004231565, member:
MotMotoz Tractionator Adventure tires. I'm not really crazy about the Tractionator up front but I still had a spare leftover for my 800 so I put it on. I absolutely love the Tractionator on the back.

[/QUOTE]

I never liked the Tractionator Adventure up front either so mated the Adventure rear with a Tractionator Rallz front on my Scrambler. Motoz actually recommended that combo to me after I contacted them about the appalling scalloping on the front. Better mileage, at least as good grip on road, better off road and looks heaps better too. The Rallz rear is also good but the tread is a bit more open and I got better on-road mileage from the Adventure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts