Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got around to taking some pics of my 04 RS. The only mods that I can see on the bike are the frame sliders and maybe the exhaust. I thought the exhaust was stock but not sure now, I am a newb to Triumph. It does say Triumph on it but I thought the stock pipes did not have any lettering on them. Maybe someone would be able to shed some light on that.

Still loving the bike but I am getting frustrated with the stiff / clunky shifting. I changed the oil to Mobile 1 4T Full Synthetic 10w-40 (all I could find) but it did not help at all. Any other suggestions? I tried to search but could not find too many answers. Just thought I would ask while I was posting this.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hmm, definitely not the same pipe that came on my RS... could very well be one of the optional mufflers from Triumph. Looks like the "add-on" reflectors on the forks and mudflap were removed (the rears apparently were never installed, as there are no holes evident).

I forget, did we have you check and adjust your clutch cable just to eliminate that as a shifting hassle? And did you adjust the chain? I'm frankly amazed the oil change didn't smooth things out for you...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gearhead

Adjusting the Chain was my next thought. I will look into that as well as the clutch adjustment. Wish I had a centerstand or bike stand, maybe I will be able to talk the wife into letting me get one of those. ;)

Well, it is 70 degrees out and I am going ride.
:D

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Exhaust is...............

TEX the exhaust is the Triumph off road Stainless steel race can, I have the same puppy on my Sprint.

You should be running with the off road tune also to make the mixture more rich to suit.

I put some silicone on the bottom sleeve joint when I put the exhaust on before nipping up the clamp as this helps stop backfires from sucking in air.:)

Yours looks very nix indeed.

DaveM:cool:

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
...check and adjust your clutch cable just to eliminate that as a shifting hassle? And did you adjust the chain? ...
... be careful not to make your chain too tight though! Common issue with new SSSA owners.
I think the clutch cable adjustment might be it - do you notice a big 'clunk' when you are stop & select first gear?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TEX the exhaust is the Triumph off road Stainless steel race can, I have the same puppy on my Sprint.

You should be running with the off road tune also to make the mixture more rich to suit.

I put some silicone on the bottom sleeve joint when I put the exhaust on before nipping up the clamp as this helps stop backfires from sucking in air.:)

Yours looks very nix indeed.

Thanks Dave. I thought that might be what it was. I am hoping the previous owner did the off road tune already. Bike is running good but I do notice the an occasional small backfire but they have been very rare. Maybe when the funds allow me to I can have it checked again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... be careful not to make your chain too tight though! Common issue with new SSSA owners.
I think the clutch cable adjustment might be it - do you notice a big 'clunk' when you are stop & select first gear?
That is exactly what it does. I have a big clunk when going from neutral to first, and clucks again from 1st up through 4rd. Going to 5th and 6th isn't too bad. I will try the clutch cable first and go onto the chain if that doesn't do it. I am going to lube the chain a little also and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Hi Tex,

DEcosse (he knows his bananas) is right and you should not have all that clunking happening that is not normal although it is not a GSXR gearbox mine is smooth, they are very tight when new and need quite a few miles to loosen up.

Correct clutch lever adjustment and good oil changed frequently are the keys.

cheers,

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
That is exactly what it does. I have a big clunk when going from neutral to first ....
Your clutch is not fully disengaging - most likely cable is too loose,
.....or do you have adjustable levers by chance?
Perhaps set that you can't pull the lever in adequately to completely disengage?
(Too tight to the contrary, gives potential for clutch to slip)

Edit - I see from pic that you don't appear to have adjustable levers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
a true Black Beauty. i think your sliders are from SKY KING PRODUCTS in CA.they also make a slider for the sssa.centerstands are on the net $220.00,but i can't remember the vendors at the moment. enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all.
After a couple of attempts I think I have the cable properly adjusted. Shifting is a lot better. It still clunks from time to time going into 1st from N but I can live with that. Thanks again for the suggestions and compliments on the bike.

:ClapHappy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts