Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone was thinking of changing to the green springs or wondering what the hell they are, here's a pic compared to the stockers:

The length is the same, the coils are a little thicker and they held with no problem on the juice. Plus, it was a very simple install.

Greg

[ This message was edited by: bonnieblackinfl on 2007-03-18 09:11 ]

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
As a matter of fact Greg.... I have been wondering about the heavy duty clutch springs myself. Mostly, if you can notice any difference in the amount of force required to pull the clutch lever in... and hold it in?

Also, was your clutch slipping before the new springs went in... when you "hit the red button"? Did you keep your OEM clutch plates and only replace the springs?

Thanks Greg... I love what you've "done in your garage". :razz:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dog, no problems with the springs or the pull. It feels so close to stock I really can't tell the difference! Yes I kept the stock disk, Jorgen told me it wouldn't be a problem holding and if there was, to install 2 red springs with the green. I don't have a pn for the red, but if he advised to only install 2, so they must have a hella pull and clamping force.

I'm not sure what clutch he runs with his turbo bike, but I believe it's a stock unit with an extra stock disk installed.

Maybe he can chime in a qualify that statement.

Greg

edit: I had a small amount of slippage at high rpms, it's been stated before that 70hp is around the limit for the stock springs and it applied to my bike also.

[ This message was edited by: bonnieblackinfl on 2007-03-18 10:13 ]

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Thanks Greg... I assume that's 70 RWHP. So I've still got a ways to go. :hihi:

A couple more questions... if you don't mind my ignorance. My clutch wants to chatter when she's good and warm, and when I'm just tooling thru the parking lot or going real slow. I don't guess that stiffer springs would stop that, would it? And if so, where did you find just the springs and not have to buy the complete clutch kit? Or did you???

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem at all, pn# MT-23-6 for the green springs. Just do a search on the web or call www.watsonperformance.com and speak to Pat or Lisa, great people who believe in customer service. I got my kit, springs and pingel tap with them. The springs were like $18 and you get 6, but all you need is 4.

I am plagued with clutch chatter also, but mine is an 01, which was notorious for it, but it only happens when she is HOT. I don't know if the springs have fixed the problem or not, I haven't ridden much since the install and it's kinda cool outside right now to spend the day on it. It would be nice it they did, it's annoying.

If your bike is still under warranty bring it in, the dealer should fix it.

Greg

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Thanks again Greg... you know how much I appreciate good customer service. :hihi:

The clutch chatter is one of those things that won't happen while I'm at the dealer. But if I cruise the the parking lot of the local bikers hangout, or thru the parking lot at the local Harley Dealer... it's gonna chatter loud enough that everyone can hear it. Murphy's law I reckon.

If the Barnett springs do help eliminate some of the chatter you experienced prior, I'd really like to know about it. I may just install the springs myself when my warranty is near it's end.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try to adjust it and if that doesn't work, get the springs. If you are stock or close to stock, ie less than 70hp, you are probably just out of adjustment.

Greg

·
Registered
566 Posts
In my 120hp streetbike I use 2 red and 2 stock springs, stock plates with one extra set.
In my dragbikes I use stockplates but with a centrifugal lock-up.

To solve the chatter on a '01 you need a new clutch center, on newer bikes it shouldn't be a problem but if it is, the center might be damaged. Using semisynth oil can also make it chatter some times (and that will damage the center). Remove the clutch center and look at the trust bearing suface, it should be smooth with no marks. See pic
http://stabbarps-auto.com/images/clutchchatter.JPG

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry if it's a dumb question but why would I want to fit green springs - are they better?

My limit of working in the garage is polishing the chrome work by the way

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to keep your clutch from slipping under higher HP conditions.

Thanks jojje for chiming in on your setup, I didn't want to throw false information out there.

Greg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Did you need the special tool to put the clutch back together..

I have done 20+ clutches over the years in my bikes and those of my friends, and never needed a special tool. But the manual claims you need it..

I'd rather not wait until I have it apart to find out you REALLY need it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, you only need the tool if you remove the basket, which you don't have to for the springs. They are held in place by the retaining plate.

Unless I am really, really, really lucky and I don't see that happening. :jest:

Greg

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all 4, I just posted the pic like that to show a comparison. After the engine work I will probably go to the red springs. Hopefully the reds aren't too strong of a pull.

Greg

·
Registered
36 Posts
G'day Greg

I'm rather new to this forum and I'm liking it very much for all the great posts/info etc etc.
I saw and like :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb: the Union Jack that you have designed on the cover. Is it another one of your jobs or did you have it done ??

:-g :-g :-g :-g :-g
William Whiskey Coser

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Greg

Simple vinyl :wow: So you screwed it on or glued it ?? Does it stand the heat ??

What a load of questions, but I really like the idea and seems so simple to give the bike that extra touch of class !!!

Might just start a fashion thing here in Italy, OK Ill give all the credit to you :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts