Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to take my fuel tank off to clean out somke debris and want to take off my Air Intake to eliminate the backfiring that started when I put my TORS on. I tried to do it the other day and just couldn't figure it out. I love riding but am still learning to do repairs. The problem is I couldn't figure out the directions w/out diagrams or pictures because I don't know what all the parts are. Does anyone have any pics or diagrams on how to do it? I tried the search but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have to take my fuel tank off to clean out somke debris and want to take off my Air Intake to eliminate the backfiring that started when I put my TORS on. I tried to do it the other day and just couldn't figure it out. I love riding but am still learning to do repairs. The problem is I couldn't figure out the directions w/out diagrams or pictures because I don't know what all the parts are. Does anyone have any pics or diagrams on how to do it? I tried the search but couldn't find anything. Thanks.
You can find the service manual in pdf format here:
http://manualz.info/paginas/manuals/
Look under Bonneville for the Thruxton - this should guide you
Good luck
Steve

·
Registered
487 Posts
If your able too get your gas tank off ,your half way there. Lay out your AI Kit so you can see it. It will make sense as you go. http://www.bellacorse.com/bce025.htm

Grab a beer and get at it.

This is what you want to remove.

Right side.

Close-up of right side.

Left side.

This is a EASY mod too do !! Just take your time ,follow the plumbing work,and be very patient when removing the AI bolts !!

While you have your tank off and the AI system is out of the way. Unbolt your horn and relocate it to where the AI system was attached. Using the horn bracket,washers,and one of the 8mm black bolts holding the AI to the frame. Play around with it ,you will see what I am trying to write.

·
Administrator
11,042 Posts
This is what you want to remove.
Not sure what bike you have or it's year gunnybortz, but on a 2008 Bonneville (not sure of other models) you'll find an extra piece with an electrical connection in the AI (air injection) system, and you won't have that long, skinny tube. But no worries, same idea.

Following someone else's suggestion I used a couple 12mm x 1.25 oil drain plugs and some copper washers to plug the holes in the engine. The cheap New England Yankee came out in me and I was happy to save the few bucks over buying online. The cap to plug the hole in the airbox is 3/4" (or maybe a tad smaller). You should use some silicone adhesive or something to tack the airbox plug in so it doesn't blow off.

Only thing that can go bad would be cross-threading the bolts going into the head. That would be fairly bad.

·
Administrator
11,042 Posts
Question Thinking of doing this Mod

What is the function of the AI system and what benefits are there when removed
:confused:
It is for emission control. Air is injected into the exhaust so unburned fuel from the cylinder gets ignited there before exiting the pipes. But that can cause extra bluing of the pipes.

The benefit of removing the AI is reduced bluing and potential self-satisfaction. Also easier access to the spark plugs. I suspect that other "benefits" regarding engine performance are imaginary :)

Oh yeah, removing the weight of the AI lowers the center of gravity of the bike too, improving handling :D

·
Administrator
11,042 Posts
This is a EASY mod too do !! Just take your time ,follow the plumbing work,and be very patient when removing the AI bolts !!
Oh yeah, I had a difficult time with one AI bolt and absolutely couldn't get the other with a box-end wrench. And you can't get a socket on it without breaking the tube off first. But the job was trivial with the round end of a wrench like this:

It's a 13mm hex head on the AI bolt.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Spray the old injectors w/ wd-40 before you start the job and if youre lucky (i was) they loosen up enough so you can remove them w/ your fingers/pliers by the time you get there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts