Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha, dudes. Just got back to the islands from the mainland where I did 13,000 miles from Maine to California and back on a KLR 650 in April, May and June. Decided I needed at least one more cylinder -- hence, a 2007 blacked-out Bonneville, scheduled to arrive in the garage on Saturday.

Being a geezer, I have a two-wheeled history starting with a Honda 305 Dream back in 1965. Then there was a CB360T in the '70s, followed by an XS650 Yamaha -- there's an in-line vertical twin thing going on here, isn't there?

But I've also had one-cylinder ventures, including a couple of Vespas -- a GS160 back in 1966 when I was stationed in Naples and a GT200 I picked up in 2008. Then there's the adventure-farkled KLR, which awaits our next adventure back in Maine.

Never had a Triumph until now. Rode a couple this week -- all sweet, but some rougher or rustier than others. I expected good. Got better. Chose a 2007 Bonneville, all black, with about 4,500 miles. It's a blank slate -- all stock except for a set of Triumph soft bags.

OK, so the KLR is good on dirt, the Yamaha makes some of the right noises and you can park a Vespa free almost anywhere, but the Bonnie's got lots of extra grunt and that beautiful sound -- even with the stock pipes... Well, I'm preaching to the choir here, aren't I?

Anyway, it's nice to be here. I've already picked your brains a little researching the new -- to me -- bike. Can't wait to ride -- WOOT!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Cat. I was out your way in May -- rode from Tahoe to Fallon and across to Ely before turning south to Cedar City and Zion. Gorgeous country!

I'm excited about the new bike. When I got back from the trip, my GT 200 scooter just didn't do it for me -- very practical for urban Honolulu, but -- well, you know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zoom, zoom, zoom

Picked up the bike yesterday. She's a 2007 Bonneville Black with after-market stubby mirrors, soft Triumph bags and powder-coated black rims and spokes. Lovely! Looks almost as old as her new owner.

With only 4,365 on the clock and needing only a polish and some authentic tank badges to look good as new (old?) I think she was a bargain at $4,200.

My buddy and I are going to flush the brake lines and I think I'll be in the market for a new rear tire soon. When I drop it into third at 50 mph and blow the doors off some dawdler in a Boxster on H-1 though, none of that matters. WOOT!

By the way, the adventure truly begins when your clutch cable breaks up a little canyon in western New Mexico. Buy me a beer sometime and I'll tell you some lies. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My new Beach Bonnie

My first week as a Bonneville owner involved a lot of cleaning, buffing, parts-finding and mopping up oil off the garage floor. I think it's been worth it. She got an oil change, a new brake lever and lots of new stainless, allen-head bolts and screws.

Today I took her down to Sandy Beach here on Oahu for a couple of photos. There are still a few projects in the pipeline, such as installing some tank badges I found on eBay, which should arrive in a couple of days. The polycarbonate versions just don't jibe with my idea of how she should look.

She's been an orphan -- I'm the fourth owner in four years -- but she's still a yougster at only 4,500 miles. Just needs some TLC. Her engine runs like a train and the stock pea shooters sound good to my tired old ears. It's a thrill to hear that sweet sound every time I start her up.

After taking care of a Kawasaki KLR for a couple of years, I suffered a bit of sticker shock at the Triumph parts counter. $17 for a new oil filter seemed a bit pricey and the dealer threw in a new oil-drain crush washer for "only" $2. :huh I drew the line when they offered me a $64 jug of Mobil 1 synthetic, however. Found some Castrol Syntech for half that price and alternatives to the OEM oil filter for the next change.

The ride improved radically after I checked tire pressures and pumped them up to 33 psi front and 38 rear. That done, blasting through corners became a delight. :D

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
The bike looks excellent! Your TLC is paying off. Triumph parts are not cheap. I switched to Mobil 1 filters and do the old reverse the crush washer and use it twice thing. The saddle bags look good, but they should since they're Triumph-branded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts