Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I've only done it the one time, as the guy in question looked to be injured....turned out he had traveled from Leeds to Newcastle to sit in the first row of an Alice Cooper concert the night before and was covered in fake blood sprayed on-stage!!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I hitched all over the UK when I was a student back in the 70s. Best one was a lift from a very glamorous girl in an open-top sports car. I thought I'd got lucky, but she was just being kind. Later on, I would give a lift to most hitchers, with the obvious exception of people who looked like axe-murderers. Two bad experiences made me think again.

Once (quiet, rural area) I stopped for a young girl, and as soon as the car stopped four of her friends (male and female) climbed out of the hedge and into the car. I shrugged and let them. No big deal - except that they messed the car about a bit and tore a hole in one of the seats. Only found out the next day :(

Another time I offered a lift to a trucker who had broken down at a motorway service area. He asked me where I was going and it turned out I was going past the town where he wanted to be. I was in a hurry to get home so I offered to drop him at the nearest mway junction, but when he got in the car he started saying I should take him into the town, at least 10 miles out of my way. I said that was not what we agreed, and he got very abusive. We started to argue, but he wasn't going to get out of the car, so in the end I got out myself, told him the car was going nowhere until he got out, and sat down on a bench. There was quite a crowd watching by this time. Eventually he got out and slammed the car door so hard I thought it would break off. I jumped back in and drove away as fast as I could. He was twice my size, and I am not small.

I'd still consider picking someone up, but the circs would have to be right. But I hardly ever see anyone hitching these days. I think most people are still as good/kind/nice as they always were, but the nutters are worse, and it's a greater risk now. I would always stop and offer help to someone who was genuinely broken down.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I hitched all over, and hopped trains, when I was younger, but it's weird, I can't remember the last time I've even seen a hitch hiker.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
My step-father made an impression on me with a story about when he was I college and he and his roommate stopped to pick up a hitchhiker. Another driver slammed into the back of his car and killed his roommate and the hitchhiker.

Needless to say, I was repeatedly told the dangers of stopping at the side of the road for any reason.

Standing on the shoulder of a highway is lie standing 4 feet to the side of a target at a shooting range. Except, the passing cars have a lot more kinetic energy than the bullets

Hitchhikers seldom hitchhike with safe pull off in mind.

Oh well. This accident happened in 1940. If it had happened today my stepfather would have been sued and would probably still be in jail.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I did a lot of hitching back in the day. NY to FL and back several times and CO to FL via NY. Seems like most weekends I was hitch hiking somewhere. Most people were very friendly but there did seem to be a lot of middle aged closet gay salesman on the road. They were fine after you let them know you weren't interested. Only scary experience was in Indiana, frigid Feb. temps at 2am. This guy wanted me and he wanted me bad. I ended up threatening him with a knife (I didn't have one but said I did) if he didn't pull over and let me out. He pulled over. Another time 3 of use were hitching to a concert. A young couple in an old Volvo took us to their lake house, gave us a place to sleep for the weekend along with driving us into the concert Saturday and Sunday. It was a big party all weekend at their place.
I wouldn't pick anyone up now though.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Now I split time between Hogtowne, Jax and Tampa.
Next time your in Tampa, let me know.

...Only scary experience was in Indiana, frigid Feb. temps at 2am. This guy wanted me and he wanted me bad. I ended up threatening him with a knife (I didn't have one but said I did) if he didn't pull over and let me out. He pulled over...
Something similar happened to me wwaaayyy back when I was in college. The guy kept telling me I was going to end up gay... Turned me into a militant homophobic for years before having the mature realization that just because a man is attracted to me does not give him rights to my arse.

I've picked up only 2. One was a kid at the store where I worked. Everyone kept warning me but I figured I'm twice the kids size so he'd have to be REALLY stupid to try anything and he didn't. The 2nd was late at night and a woman on the side of the road, looked like someone I worked with. Anyways, she was barefoot and I drove her to the airport. Looked like a junkie.

I do stop almost every time for a motorcycle on the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
I will, generally.if they don't look too mad or too talkative. You can always chuck them out again if they are

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I passed a cute little hippie chic a few years ago in NH that was hitch hiking, short summer dress and all. I was on the bike and didn't have an extra helmet. NH doesn't have a helmet law and after I passed her I was tempted to go back and get her. I never let anyone ride without proper gear but I really had second thoughts about making an exception for her.:D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ive hitched a bit.
Jesus Crispies and truckers are good for a ride. Ive had a chick pick me up on a couple of occasions back in "the day". The occasional weirdo, but nothing serious.
And, Ill pick up a hitcher on a long road trip if it happens that I have no female company in the vehicle.

(For safety reasons. Im not going to get into a situation where my wife or one of my daughters may be put at risk.)

IMO theres nothing thats going to happen in the cab of a Jeep or a pickup that I cannot handle, or live with. *But thats me. *and thats why I dont pick up hitchers if someone else is with me.
Last hitcher I picked up, I was on my was from Delta, CO back to Dallas. Picked up a guy wayyy out in the middle of nowhere. he rode with me for a couple of hundred miles. he had some interesting stories, and I learned a few things. We parted ways where our roads split with a handshake and well wishes.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts