Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone just wanna thank everyone for the help and advice picked my T100 Bonneville sixty up earlier in the week started doing a bit of work on her over the past few days, fitted a main stand, new battery, fitted the original exhausts back on and loaded the correct tune with tune ecu.

Next step is plugs, oil and air filter and some Avon's this week when I decide which ones.

One thing that surprised me from when I heard her with the Tor Exhaust's was how whiney the engine is when revved guessing that's normal judging from the youtube clips I heard when I got back from my test ride. Pretty hard to find stock exhaust clips. The standard pipes sound whisper quiet. Be interesting to see what you experienced Bonnie people think. (my bench mark daily rider) is a 1966 Norton 650ss which is as imaginable a totally different bike riding experience wise interesting drawing comparisons though.

(riding starts 1 min from the end) for those that don't wanna watch me waffle on about van breakdowns haha an the collection bit.

Next question for you all has anyone got any eu approved road legal exhausts on if so what did you go for an how are you finding them?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Video from last nights Chill ride with some first impressions on the T100 Bonnie. Something really clicked after me giving these thoughts I've really fell in love with her first modern bike I've properly liked for a fair few years. Included a static exhaust sound as well.

In the next clip I think I'll do one from the riders perspective at idle as well. As once under way the stock exhausts are that quiet you tend to hear more of the primary gears whining until she gets on song. So you don't hear as much of the beautiful 360° engine sound I'd say that's my only criticism (have heard her with a set of Tors on which I removed so that's probably spoilt me ha!) Considering Remus ones at the moment as they come with the cats built in or some other eu approved ones with cats for my Scandinavia trip although I may just grow into these stock ones. Need to do some reading up regards exhausts in mainland Europe. Usually just use stock pipes but quite fancying a set on her. Not sure whether they need to have eu stamps etc?

Overall highly pleased, great handling superb comfort and such a silky smooth engine. 9/10 for me she's totally going to be a long term keeper along with my other british brand bikes (my daily rider is a 1966 Norton 650ss) quite fancy getting a Tr6c If I decide to let some more of my Japanese classics go to fund one. My bikes certainly have to a shift letting my my 250lc rd250c and harris tz go to fund this an my 1944 Ww2 Norton 16h.

Up to now I'm sporting the bonnie a 68' Commando, 650ss an the wd16h. Really do love my british Marque's.

Ps sorry about the audio editing on my budget android with quick so very limited to what I can do.

Hope you all enjoy :) hopefully I'll do a longer video got a few 800+ mile trips planned over 3 days or so, should be a good test for her before my dream Scandinavia trip.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Congradulations on your new ride..
Now you know why they have been selling Bonnevilles since when Adam was a cowboy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed :) thanks mate really liking it. Just gotta decide between trail riders and road riders next, then can get looking at spark, remus an zard road legal exhausts.

·
Registered
824 Posts
No worries.
FWIW. I picked up some spare rims and have the option of swapping them for a more off pavement ride.

A cheap as chips folding shifter from e-bay is a good investment. Those shift shafts bend like butter.
The relay by the solenoid can get full of water so some self amalgamating tape or turn it over .

Welcome to Bonnieland.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Amazing condition. I have not seen Bonnie Sixty in real life, only online picture beauties. Ride safely.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Greedy yeah same that was the first one I'd seen :) was worth the big drive for her. Was super shocked at the condition super good.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Whoops; sorry about that ( using phone). FWIW if you are keeping the mainstand (and I would; I’ll never have a bike without one again) you need to check whether or not the silencers will work with them. I tried some Norman Hyde ones, but I sent them back as they just didn’t work well with the Triumph mainstand. I ended up with TORs and a suitable remap, but I’ve just put the standard ones back because ( a) it gets tedious having to swap them over at MOT time and (b) round here they’re cracking down on bike noise by using meters. Also, on a long trip they were beginning to get on my nerves. The problem with TORs is that they specifically state on them that they are not for road use; if they didn’t they’d be OK MOT wise.
That said I rather like the sound of the originals on my Thruxton. Being one of the last made (2016) they seem less restricted than earlier ones and sound rather like a T120 (Meriden) unit twin, with a nice, crisp rasp. I certainly don’t hear any whining, but I’ve done the usual air box baffle delete, TTP smooth bore air intake and high flow filter, SAI removal and O2 sensor removal + remap. Like night and day compared to standard. With earplugs I tend to hear the exhaust under acceleration and the intake roar more when cruising, but quiet it isn’t.
You have a lovely bike there. There are a lot of good clean low mileage ones in the UK ridden gently. It’s a shame really, because with a bit of reversible tuning there is a nice grunty twin in there on a par with a good Commando but without the maintenance and potential reliability drawbacks.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Never had either of mine failed at MOT for having TORs fitted, no problem at IVA inspection when one was brought in from overseas(just had to fit an MPH speedo)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I guess it depends on the MOT tester. Mine is quite liberal but won’t pass an exhaust explicitly marked as not for road use. I wouldn’t want to test the insurance implications either, as an insurance company could well refuse to pay out on a claim or reduce it on the basis of a blatantly illegal bike exhaust system which is almost certain to infringe a clause in the contract requiring the bike to meet current regulations relating to the age of the bike.The irony is that an unmarked exhaust could well be louder than TORs but whether or not it passes an MOT depends on the tester. It used to be the case that exhausts had to be stamped as compliant, but that was changed a few years ago, so whether or not an unmarked exhaust passes the MOT should be down to the tester listening to it; not very scientific, yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guy's yep I'm the same howler, just fitted a centre stand could never live without one so that's handy to know about the hyde's :) I also run a 1966 Norton 650ss as a daily which has been flawless and am rebuilding my 68' Commando at the moment thanks to the previous owners screw up.
So I guess anything would seem whisper quiet compared to them. That's what put me off with the Tor's and hence why I took them off was with them being marked not for road use. Round here they are doing the same really tightening up on stuff so prefer to be on the right side of things. Nice knowing everything is as it should be. That's interesting I find my stock pipes on the bonnie whisper quiet which lets me hear a lot of the engine whine might look into the AI removal I did wonder if a lot of the noise I was hearing was from that

Just spent all last night an all morning looking at tyres ha can't decide for the life of me between the trail riders an road riders. Just started looking at the new Bridgestones I'm dooooomed haha

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have Roadriders on my Thruxton. They are really good, but then I won’t be doing any trail riding. Another tip re these twins is to make sure your battery stays healthy, especially if you are doing a foreign trip. Never persist in trying to start the engine on a weak battery, it could damage the engine. While the later ones like yours have an improved boss in the primary drive they can still break if the engine backfired on startup. This can mean a new crankcase. I’ve decided to fit the TTP mod to prevent this, when I service it next month. They are essentially very robust engines, but any sizeable twin needs a good battery to prevent issues.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks mate first thing I put in was a new battery from Triumph with her having such low miles. Done plugs oil, oil filter an new air filter. I'll check that TTP mod out sounds interesting. Just got some Avon Roadriders ordered for early next week :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had another run out today up Winnats pass although it doesn't look it on the video the wind gusts were pretty insane nearly blew us over when we stopped at a junction lol

Trying to decide what to do with the screen before we head on a longer tour not sure whether to try and get a bigger one or take it off completely :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I’m not sure how big a job it would be but the small fly screen on my Thruxton does an amazing job of wind protection. I have reversed the handlebars to allow a more upright riding position, not dissimilar to a Bonneville fitted with rear sets. Good for up to 80mph cruising.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts