Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 08 Sprint today. Had a agreement with the dealer that if something was wrong I could bring it back or get it fixed, they wouldn't let me take a test ride. Well I left and when I got on the highway the front end was shaking pretty bad, I could actually see the forks vibrate back and forth. The bars didn't shake left to right at all. Got it home called them back,they wanted it brought back. I told them I would check the balance and runout myself first.
I did that and found that the tire had a flat spot. Brought it back and they put on a new tire, all is good!!!!

So far I like the bike, things I notice that need work. Heat under seat and right leg. Any suggestions?

Taller bars or atleast flatter bars, any suggestions?

Love the sound hope to get a D&D sometime soon!!!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
rdchris,

Welcome to the site!

I'd recommend you ride your new steed for a month. Then decide what you want to do with it, particularly relating to riding position. You don't mention a previous bike, so I can't tell if you are making a big transition to the ST riding style. There's a trick to it.

My first ST had a double-bubble style windscreen and GenMar risers when I bought it, used. When I bought my '03, I figured I'd try it in its stock setup first.

I found that I liked the stock configuration better!

Except the seat. The stock seat was awful. I put the Triumph gel seat on it, which was much more comfy, but the FL sun was a regular problem.

HTH!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Heat in the seat can be fixed with the TOR pipe and an ecm tune - although the enigne will lose some of that wonderful pop, burble and overrun.

Enjoy the sprint. I love mine more each time I ride it. It always gets attention wherever I park it.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
I added risers to mine and didn't have any problem regarding full steering lock. The bars at full touched the screen, but just barely, and the screen easily flexed away from that.

As far as the heat under the seat. I brought my bike into a local place here called Bitchn Stitchn. They did some reshaping on the seat for me and in the process added some more foam and a gel pad. That really seemed to help the heat issue.

Heat from the right side I never did get resolved save from wearing heavy boots, which seemed to block some of it, and some over pants which had some heat resistant paneling.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rdchris,

Welcome to the site!

I'd recommend you ride your new steed for a month. Then decide what you want to do with it, particularly relating to riding position. You don't mention a previous bike, so I can't tell if you are making a big transition to the ST riding style. There's a trick to it.

My first ST had a double-bubble style windscreen and GenMar risers when I bought it, used. When I bought my '03, I figured I'd try it in its stock setup first.

I found that I liked the stock configuration better!

Except the seat. The stock seat was awful. I put the Triumph gel seat on it, which was much more comfy, but the FL sun was a regular problem.

HTH!

I hear ya.
The bike I traded was a Yamaha RoadLiner big cruiser bike.
I'm familair with the riding position of the ST, before the Yamaha I had a BMW K1200S that I put 3" risers on that bike. It was about the same as the Sprint is now.

I've been looking at a ZERO Gravity touring wind screen, and some riser bars. After looking at how the stock bars are mounted, I'm going to make up my own set up. I'll use the dirt bike type bars and riser set-up. I'm going to make a bridge that will bolt on where the stock bars mount now, and the go from there with the other bars.

I'll let you guys see it when I get it done.

Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts