Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep- I took delivery of my new ’06 Sunset Red ST last night :) :)

It’s really too early for first impressions, but here ya go anyway - mixed in with a ride report

Rules:
- Cant exceed 3500 RPM as per the owners manual, for the first 100 miles.

- New tires…gotta be mindful of their slippery nature

Ride:
- From Lomita, to Camarillo. The first 20miles covered stop & go traffic through town.

- A moderate amount of heat from the motor
- Low beam lights are fine in town
- Seat comfortable- softest I’ve ever ridden on
- Seating position is excellent!
- Shifting is really smooth compared to the older bikes I’ve ridden (02 Daytona, 03 Speed four)

Santa Monica / Malibu / Camarillo:
- The suspension did a really good job with the bumpy roads

- All the lights through Malibu were in my favor, so I left it in one gear (3rd?) and paid attention to the “feel” of the bike- smooth, and relatively light.

- Now about 2 hours into the ride and I’m still very comfortable- even through horrible stop & go traffic earlier

- Stopped at the Starbucks near Pepperdine college. Knowing the last part of the ride was going to be stressful, I wanted to get some coffee to calm my nerves. The place was packed, so back on the bike

- High-beam light didn’t seem to help much, but better then some bikes I’ve owned.

- The fairing was just the right height for me to tuck down behind without having buffeting problems.

- 45 MPH+ wind gusts knocked us around quite a bit. Sure wish I could have had the engine turning more then 3500 RPM! Here is where I was concerned about the new, slick tires; a lot of water was coming off the ocean along the coast, combined with the heavy winds. Could have been real bad news.

- Center stand is real easy- when we arrived home safely, I put her up on the center-stand expecting a hard time, but it was very easy. Much better then my Bonnie!

Final thoughts:
- The bike got me home through all that, and I wasn’t saddle sore (despite several “pucker” moments)- I love this bike!

- The dealer couldn’t order the hard bags ‘till the bike was registered. I was expecting to have them already installed. Silly me

- the left mirror vibrates a quite a bit more then the right- which is rock steady; Matt noticed it during the check-ride, and put a new one on order. Most shops out here would wait for YOU to tell them it was bad.

- Matt & Linda at South Bay were great! I could have bought the bike for a bit less elsewhere, but the service at SB was outstanding- totally worth it.

We are still under a wind advisory today, so I left the bike at home. Had enough of that last night, thank you very much! However, I’ll be riding tonight :)

Didn’t get many photos of the bike last night since, well, it was dark out. But did take a few when I arrived home. Posted them in my Members Photo Album

More to come!

~Randy DTFR
Ride safe!

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I took a look at your photo album and I will never be able to look at my blue 06 the same way again. It does look like Stitch.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm glad you are enjoying her so far. The advice I got from my trusted dealer was to be less concerned with absolute rpm's than than the relative throttle opening. So - up to one third throttle opening for the 1st 100 miles and then up to half opem after that and until the 500 mile service.

My mirrors also exhibit differantial stability at various speeds - I am used to it. I agree with your comments re: the seat and comfort. However, I, too. am becoming frustrated with the # of traffic light stops when I ride to and from work. Oh well.

Enjoy and take care - BB

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
How many bikes do you have. I have one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You are going to love that bike. They just keep getting better and better as you and the bike learn each other's ways.

I bought the Silver 06, but the sunset red is very nice looking indeed. I like the stock seat as well, and the handling is great.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

"How many bikes do you have. I have one- triumphite;"
I'm blessed to have two at the moment; the Sprint and the SV650. My wife has my old Bonnie, which is set up for me to ride since she LOVES her new Ninja 500 (fits her better and is lighter). The photo album has become my scrapbook since buying my first (and current) digital camera back in '02. I have my SV650 for sale at RPM Cycles in Ventura. When it sells, I'll have enough money for a proper set of leathers :)

The stock seats comfort was a real pleasant surprise. One of the magazines (Motorcyclist?) mentioned it was too soft, and on a long ride felt like he was sitting on the rails- I'm guessing that he had a bad seat or something. I like it so far~

I was going to go for a ride after work (which is now), but at 5:20 its already pitch black outside! Might go for a spin anyway- out of respect for those back east (& up north) who cant; being their buried under snow & ice...

More photos and ride reports to come~

~Randy DTFR
Ride safe!

[ This message was edited by: RandyDTFR on 2006-11-30 19:31 ]

·
Registered
703 Posts
Randy- Congrats on your beauty like mine! Sunset red is awesome in the sunlight. Anyways, the heat issue gets plenty better after break-in (or I'm used to it more). Also, the tranny does get better too after switching to full synthetic after the break-in also. You'll love the bike!

PS--with my build date, I didn't have the 'heat kit' installed. My dealer is getting it for me though.

[ This message was edited by: KevyKev on 2006-12-01 06:23 ]

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey there KevyKev,

Whats the build date on your bike?

Mine appears to be 07/05. Must be one of the very first "2006" models to be released in 2005.

Just corious really.

I finsihed reading the threads about the rear suspension problems... looks like late '05 early '06 bikes.

Sure was surprised to see such an early date for my "2006" model.

~Randy
Ride safe!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Randy--believe it or not I think my build date was 05/05. Maybe first one made?!?!? I'm at work and can't check right now. Anyways, my Sunset ABS has the 14mm MC and does not have the 'heat kit' shields. So, dealer is working on correcting/checking into these issues. Thought I saw somewhere on here with a VIN listing re: the drag link issue but can't recall of hand.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My '06 build date is 7/05. It also did not have the heat kit installed, but the dealer ordered and installed it for free. I also have the 14mm M/C, but no ABS. I have beed lucky and don't have any brake issues during the 4700 miles I have put on it since new.

Off topic a bit. My stock windshield had the bubbling paint issue since new. I knew it would be replaced under warranty. But then I saw a few on here that had theirs replaced and received the Aeroscreen. That was an option on the '05/6 for around $170, but now stock on the '07's. I really wanted one of those. My dealer had no problem replacing the windscreen, but even though they asked Triumph about this, they were told no joy, and to order the replacement by VIN. Well they did, and this past Wednesday they put on my new one. Lo and behold it was a brand new Aeroscreen!

Man you have to love it when things work out your way. Thanks Triumph!

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Hi RandyDTFR,
welcome and congratulations on your new Sprint.

In case you havent already noticed we have a very friendly helpful bunch in this forum and a great deal of Sprint knowledge as well.

Good luck and have fun :)

I have just got from my second 300km ride this weekend,this mornings was half in the rain but still great fun in the twisties.

You will find your Sprint a very easy bike to ride.

Davem :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congratulations Randy DTFR,

it's intesting to read about your first impression of the bike having myself just purchase a 06 Sprint ST (sunset-red) this afternoon.

Although mine won't be delivered for a couple of weeks.

Best of luck with the new bike. No doubt you'll have a great time when you are riding on those awsome twisty roads you guys a have down there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congrats on the ST. I got my Sunset red in June this year. Got 6300 miles on her and really don't have any major complaints. The seat bolt setup is kinda goofy but once you get the hang of it... But overall I can't say enough about the bike. It handles really well, has plenty of speed for me, is just awesome to look at. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.
Brian

·
Registered
122 Posts
BTW
I read that you were going to use the red sprint st with the lake in the background as your comp. background. That is my sprint and that happened to be an absolutely awesome ride that Rick and I went on that day.
Hopefully not the last ride of the year but time is short and right now and so are the days.

Brian

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys!

Sadly this beautiful, sunny weekend has been spent away from the new bike. We have been under another wind advisory (30-50MPH- more in the canyons). While out and about in my truck, I'd see a Harley rider and think, "Man I should be out on the bike...!" then a little later I see a bunch of debris on the road... "Man, good thing I'm not on the bike today...!" Its a horrible way to spend a sunny weekend!

On the brighter side, I now have time to remove the warning stickers our concerned friends in Hinckley, Leicestershire affixed to that beautiful sunset-red tank :wink:

DaveM;
Your absolutely right! I had a lot of good input from folks here which really helped me decide on the right bike for me. This is a great group for sure :upthumb:

remlin;
You have a beautiful bike! That photo is my wallpaper on both, home & work computers :-D I really liked all the photos, but that last one was just right... Hope I can repay the favor with some photos of my own real soon~

~Randy DTFR
Ride safe!

[ This message was edited by: RandyDTFR on 2006-12-03 15:23 ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts