Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got a little greedy this weekend and was able to convince my wife to let me pick up this mint 2018 Thruxton R! Beyond stoked to join the 1200 clan with all the modern bells and whistles. The silver was absolutely my dream color for this one and a nice change from my Ford black I have had on my last two bikes. I got her for $10k with 4k miles from the original owner. I took her out for a nice 200mi with a big group on Sunday to break her in, or break me in. I lost count of the compliments and stares from the sport touring guys on the ride. Can't wait to do some mods!

Shortlist of upgrades:
  • Tank knee pads
  • Fender eliminator kit
  • Low profile front signals
  • Sliders
  • LED headlight bulb
  • 2-up seat and pegs
The new 1200 will be replacing my 2010 Thrux 900, which is honestly my favorite bike I have ever owned. It will be sad once's she rolls out of the garage, but I gotta sell her to pay back the new one. Since she's damn near perfect, I know whoever picks her up will be in love. Shameless plug: let me know if anyone is interested! Located in the Bay Area.

I will sure miss this 900, but its been a hell of a 5 years! On to new chapters.... :)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You'll enjoy the look of and will look back nostalgically every time you see a 900 on the road. But you won't miss it. You really won't. Not with the roads within half a day of where you live.

Reactions: curbninja

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Welcome to the club, I'm sure you'll love it.
Your 900 does look gorgeous though :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, gang! Posted this intro video of the new 1200 today...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Watch out your key fob doesn't mar the polished yoke which has happened to others here. I just modified a rubber Triumph fob with a zip tie so it doesn't flap and scratch. I wouldn't bother with a K & N on these bikes. There's lots of info on this site (see Jsobell's write ups) about air filter changes not accomplishing anything.

Also be careful about what aftermarket blinkers you pick. Above and beyond that they are almost invisible to other motorists, I've had issues with my British Customs minis. In fact I was in the shop today sorting out a short. The tech at the dealership told me when they were getting their orientation from Triumph about the new twins in 2016, they were told Triumph would not be honouring warranty claims for electrical problems caused by aftermarket blinkers, including fried circuits that require your whole dash to be replaced. He estimated about 50% of bikes he's seen that have installed aftermarket blinkers have had "some" problems. That includes me, twice in 20,000 miles. First time it happened, between stops in Redding, Petaluma and Santa Cruz I rode a thousand miles (trailering with my wife and doing solo day trips) without working blinkers, just relying on hand signals. That was memorable.

I've also had the blinker portion of my NRC integrated tail fail on me, which resulted in me adding two more crappy British Customs so I'd have matching cool looking and crappy blinkers. I'm about to make a change. Choose wisely and enjoy your bike.

Lots of good folks on this forum, many who have forgotten more than I'll ever know about motorcycles and are happy to share knowledge.

Reactions: CafRacer

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Watch out your key fob doesn't mar the polished yoke which has happened to others here. I just modified a rubber Triumph fob with a zip tie so it doesn't flap and scratch. I wouldn't bother with a K & N on these bikes. There's lots of info on this site (see Jsobell's write ups) about air filter changes not accomplishing anything.
Yeah, I noticed the key fob straight away.
My top yoke seems to develop scratches just by looking at it the wrong way :D
It's a good job I like polishing, even if it takes three grades to remove the scratches and get a nice finish.

Agree about the air filter, haven't seen any definitive back-to-back evidence of power gains from just an aftermarket filter, could just remove the snorkel and probably get the same effect, a bit more intake noise.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome feedback! Fob is coming off for sure. I definitely don't want to scratch that polish.

So a high-flow filter does nothing with the bike. Interesting. I noticed a considerable difference with my 900

I will for sure be careful with the indicator. I'll look through the forum to see what others have done first. Those electrical problems scare me!

What is the warranty on these bikes? Would mine still be covered by anything?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Your new Thruxton has fully adjustable suspension. Tune it up on for your weight and riding style. I paid somebody to do this professionally and the difference was very noticeable. Since you are in Bay Area I can recommend Catalyst Reaction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Also in the Bay Area: LG Moto in Richmond...did a fantastic job setting the front and rear Matris suspension on my T120...quite reasonable and extremely thorough.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also in the Bay Area: LG Moto in Richmond...did a fantastic job setting the front and rear Matris suspension on my T120...quite reasonable and extremely thorough.
Thanks, that's pretty close to my house actually. Are you also in the Easy Bay?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lived in Pacheco for almost 20 years, recently moved to North Carolina. I do miss NorCal riding, but it's nice and twisty around here, so no complaints.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts