Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 T100 with 3300 miles on it, purchased new April 2008. Since new it will very very intermittently die at idle after coming to a stop. It doesn't stumble, just quits. Always fires right up and runs fine. Idles like clock at 1000 rpm. I see from posts that there were issues with 2006 / 2007 bikes. Is it the ignitor or pick up sensor that there is a known issue. The problem is so intermittent I don't think that the dealer would be able to find anything. Should I bring it to them to document this?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Had a similar problem. I measured the resistance on the coil, as noted in Haynes, and found no resistance in the primary side. I expect a new coil tomorrow, so I cannot say for sure of the resolution of the problem.

·
30,517 Posts
If it is under warranty you should definitely take it to the dealer. If you need new parts to fix it they should spring for it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I agree with having the dealer fix it under warranty, the only issue is that it is so intermittent I doubt that they will be able to re-create it. I just want to be able to get the story straight about whether there is a known ignitor or pick up issue with the 2006 / 2007 models.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
135 Posts
i had the pick up sensor go on my Speedy and even the dealer thought it was the igniter. after a new igniter and no improvement i got the sensor (for like $60 i think) and problem solved. so i 2nd the "take it to yer dealer", but dont be surprised if they dont know either... lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I still have this problem

I have a 2007 T100 with 3300 miles on it, purchased new April 2008. Since new it will very very intermittently die at idle after coming to a stop. It doesn't stumble, just quits. Always fires right up and runs fine. Idles like clock at 1000 rpm. I see from posts that there were issues with 2006 / 2007 bikes. Is it the ignitor or pick up sensor that there is a known issue. The problem is so intermittent I don't think that the dealer would be able to find anything. Should I bring it to them to document this?

I DID take this to the dealer. They could not get it to die after screwing with it for three hours and riding it around.

It happens to me very infrequently. I have a 2007 Triumph Bonneville. I find it incredibly annoying. The worst part is the sound it makes when it cuts out. Like a 'clack' sound.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I dont know if ether of them is bad.if it only does it at idle and then fires back up.most pick up coils go bad at any speed and wont start back up.same with the box. I would check the wires that power the coils make sure there not loose.Check for vac leaks,check idle mix.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i dunno, Mike.. mine got steadily worse before she cut out altogether... the idle thing is strange tho.. i think mine only did it a couple times at idle; most were at speed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 05 T100 was dying intermittently like that about a year ago. I replaced the ignitor and it hasn't done it since. Maybe see if somebody has a used one.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input. I don't think that it's the carb's, been through them. I did see in an old post that some owners actually take off two of the nipples and attach a hose to connect the manifolds together. This is how the older bonnies did it. Any thoughts. I am going to take it to my dealer to document the issue.

Mike

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I had the nipples closed off in that way - the ones on the manifold to the engine - with no problems. I do have caps on them now.
Had a problem similar to your recently and changed the ht coil [beneath tank]. So far, so good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Count me in. 2007 T100 at 3200 miles.

I've got a pick up sensor on the way, and in the meantime I'm going to adjust the air gap to 0.8 mm per a service bulletin mentioned elsewhere in the forum.

What an amazing resource this forum is...I pushed my bike home a few days ago, called the dealer, and they suggested that it was a blocked fuel cap vent or bad petcock. I've ruled out both of those problems, and was stumped until doing a search here today.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I had one of my 07 T100's do EXACTLY the same thing. After a year of very, very intermittent stalling I replaced the pick up coil and haven't had the problem occur again.

Dick

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dying issue finally solved. Let me say that the bike never ran quite right since I purchased it. Dealer messed with pilot jets because it wouldn't start when cold, he drilled them out. Well this Saturday I finally put back in stock #40 pilots and adjusted the mixture screw. The only place I could find genuine OEM jets was at a Harley Shop. The guy charged me $2 for a couple of used pilots. The bike was running rich all along. Went out for a bunch of rides over the past 3 days and it hasn't died, not even once.

Mike

·
30,517 Posts
That's cool! I'm glad you resolved it. Just goes to show how a lot of dealers these days can't even do basic trouble shooting anymore. It's depressing.

Good for you though, you got there.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, but it was 54 degrees here Sunday morning and I know it is going to be hard starting again. Not as bad, but I have one of the COLD blooded bikes that will always be a tough starter in the winter months. I would rather have it this way and run properly than run so so and be an easy starter.

Mike

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dying issue finally solved. Let me say that the bike never ran quite right since I purchased it. Dealer messed with pilot jets because it wouldn't start when cold, he drilled them out. Well this Saturday I finally put back in stock #40 pilots and adjusted the mixture screw. The only place I could find genuine OEM jets was at a Harley Shop. The guy charged me $2 for a couple of used pilots. The bike was running rich all along. Went out for a bunch of rides over the past 3 days and it hasn't died, not even once.

Mike
My 08 T100 was doing trhe same thing, finally checked the idle adjustment screw and dealer had it set to 3 1/2 turns out way too rich and plugs confirmed it, explained why it was quitting at idle too rich fouled plugs. Set it to 2 1/2 turns out and it runs great now and no quitting at stop signs intermittantly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was running way rich because the pilots were drilled. I am at 3 1/2 turns now and it is much leaner than what I had before. I need to get it on a dyno to get it dialed in. But for now it is running soooooo much better.

Mike

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've had mine in for warranty service twice for these ignition issues (sudden engine failure, no sputtering, no warning).

The first time it was the Ignition Control Unit. The problem started out as intermittent but the bike would start back up & ride fine for awhile before failing again down the road.

The second time it was the pickup sensor. When the bike was warm, ignition died suddenly. When the bike cooled off, it ran again.

Subtly different symptoms. The ignition control unit is over $600 MSRP so by all means try to get it covered under warranty if you can.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Fitted New Pickup Coil

Hi, after two threads about my 2006 Bonneville cutting out Iv'e now fitted a new pickup coil to the Bonneville today at the cost of £50.00, after 60miles so far so good because last Fri after just 20miles it cut out twice on the way to work and once on the return, Im going to take the omhs readings tomorrow and compare the two reading (before and after) to see what the differences are, if there was a fault with these coils why the hell did'nt Triumph hold there hands up and just put it right, some one at Triumph must read these forums or are they all up there own ar!£s.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts