Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents

I spent a little time photoshopping up some mods I was thinking of doing and wanted to get some opinions. I know, I know, it only matters that I like it, but all that aside, let me know your thoughts.

Mods would be:

-Thruxton seat (ignore the cowl, I'm not getting that) already ordered this btw

-Swapping out the stock white fenders for Triumph Shorty fenders- someone said these come black as a default- can anyone confirm this? Also, anywhere besides caferace.com to order these?

-Lucas lights, but those aren't pictured.

Basically, for some reason, the stock white fenders started getting on my nerves, they just bother me for some reason. Not to mention they get dirty in like 3 seconds and I ride all-weather.

I know mixing the color scheme isn't something most people would do, but that's kinda why I like it. hey, I gotta be me right?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I think it works. I didn't dig the white fenders either, my bike used to look like yours but it's all black now.

Getcha some lower bars, bar end mirrors, and reverse megaphone styled exhaust and it'll look perfect!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahaha- yeah, I'd like to keep the orange and white tank though.

I'm not ready for the low bars yet, in fact I also ordered some bar-risers. For now, I'm more of an upright rider... For now ;)

I have the Norman Hyde slip on pipes which I dig, so those are staying as well.

For now...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I called caferace.com, and they said that the shorty fenders are not steel, and come white and unprimed.

Someone said they came black, and that's what got me thinking about this. I don't want to shell out the extra $$$ to have them painted.

Anyone know where I can get these things in black? Or where I can order stock thruxton fenders?

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like it. IMO, the white fenders look a little too sterile, not that that's bad or anything. The shorter black fenders make the bike a little more aggressive sporty looking, not that that's bad either (I just prefer that look).

What if you did a black pinstripe around the orange, that might tie it all together. I have the black & opal T100 and I'm debating how much to bob the fenders, your photo shop gives me a good idea. But unlike you I have cowl I'm going to mount. Any chance you can drop my colored tank in the photo? :-D

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Why not modify your own fenders and bob them yourself. You could get them powdercoated mirror black, which would be cheaper than professionally painted.

Your kinda close to me, I got a good conection to a powder coater here in New Oxford PA.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
*Thruxton seat is easily a go.
As much as I like the traditional bench seat of the Bonnie, the Thruxton seat has a touch of contemporary styling. Maybe you could mount a little Union Jack on the head of some bolts that otherwise hold the cowl onto the Thruxton seat; otherwise you would have some unused holes there.....

*I'm not in favor of eliminating the white fenders, they deffinately COMPLIMENT the tang & white color scheme.
*Nor am I in favor of abreviating the fenders.
It's the very appealing nature of the tang, white, and chrome that hooks that bike up. Short fenders on that bike sends out (to me) mixed signals.
*If however you go with black fenders, consider a white stripe down the middle of the front fender (maybe with a tang pinstripe). Any after-market fenders WILL need your attention. I sanded my black gel-coated Omar's fairing, misted it with some gloss black rattler, sanded it again with some fine, painted, sanded, painted...... and it STILL didn't look right (enough) until I had a pro' shoot some clear over all my work.

*Lucas lights..... oh yeah babieee!
I have chosen NOT to go that route because of my experience with that small tail lamp lens maaaaany years ago (they used to brake, get loose, crack, time and time again). In addition, I consider it to be a visibility issue.... they aren't very conspicuous.
*I prefer the little rectangular indicators over the round ones, otherwise I think the HOT set up would be shortened stalks on the factory art deco indicators.
*And if you're willing to part with another hundred bucks, I think you can get a universal LED cluster to go in the lens (if it's not too small) that is VERY bright and blinks rapidly when you apply your brakes.

Pleeeeese keep the white fenders...... even if you jus' gotta shorten them.

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2007-03-02 11:43 ]

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't know what price you were looking for for the bobbed fenders, but this site seems to have pretty good deals. The front fender is plastic, but they are black, like you like. The black fenders do work, and look good. Could check out newbonneville's polished aluminum fenders. A bit of work and $, but I think they would compliment the chrome. Custom gague cups from thermos or ozark trail would compliment the shiny look as well. Try it out with Pshop. I would bob them myself, and keep them white, and add a tang stripe to the front fender. That is my favorite color scheme on the bonnie.

G

·
Triumph sells accessory shorty fenders that come in black.

Go to the Triumph site and then go to the

"accessories experience"

[ This message was edited by: juno on 2007-03-02 12:52 ]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The black fenders from madss.com look like what I want. A couple questions:

-with the bobbed front fender, will I get a lot more spray on my engine when riding in rain/wet conditions?

-Can that front fender be replaced without removing the front wheel? Forgive my ignorance, this is all new to me...

I understand some of you like the white fenders. I will keep them, and maybe they'll go back on some day. But right now they bug me, and I want to love everything about my bike.

Thanks!

PS TRYMPH- if I have time today I'll try to drop your color tank in.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
On 2007-03-02 11:39, FattRat wrote:
*Thruxton seat is easily a go.
As much as I like the traditional bench seat of the Bonnie, the Thruxton seat has a touch of contemporary styling. Maybe you could mount a little Union Jack on the head of some bolts that otherwise hold the cowl onto the Thruxton seat; otherwise you would have some unused holes there.....

*I'm not in favor of eliminating the white fenders, they deffinately COMPLIMENT the tang & white color scheme.
*Nor am I in favor of abreviating the fenders.
It's the very appealing nature of the tang, white, and chrome that hooks that bike up. Short fenders on that bike sends out (to me) mixed signals.
*If however you go with black fenders, consider a white stripe down the middle of the front fender (maybe with a tang pinstripe). Any after-market fenders WILL need your attention. I sanded my black gel-coated Omar's fairing, misted it with some gloss black rattler, sanded it again with some fine, painted, sanded, painted...... and it STILL didn't look right (enough) until I had a pro' shoot some clear over all my work.

*Lucas lights..... oh yeah babieee!
I have chosen NOT to go that route because of my experience with that small tail lamp lens maaaaany years ago (they used to brake, get loose, crack, time and time again). In addition, I consider it to be a visibility issue.... they aren't very conspicuous.
*I prefer the little rectangular indicators over the round ones, otherwise I think the HOT set up would be shortened stalks on the factory art deco indicators.
*And if you're willing to part with another hundred bucks, I think you can get a universal LED cluster to go in the lens (if it's not too small) that is VERY bright and blinks rapidly when you apply your brakes.

Pleeeeese keep the white fenders...... even if you jus' gotta shorten them.
Fatt is right-there is no accounting for bad taste. Try not t o ruin a classic design and buya Harley to fcuk up . OK??

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
On 2007-03-02 10:48, billybob235 wrote:
Gents

I spent a little time photoshopping up some mods I was thinking of doing and wanted to get some opinions. I know, I know, it only matters that I like it, but all that aside, let me know your thoughts.

Mods would be:

-Thruxton seat (ignore the cowl, I'm not getting that) already ordered this btw

-Swapping out the stock white fenders for Triumph Shorty fenders- someone said these come black as a default- can anyone confirm this? Also, anywhere besides caferace.com to order these?

-Lucas lights, but those aren't pictured.

Basically, for some reason, the stock white fenders started getting on my nerves, they just bother me for some reason. Not to mention they get dirty in like 3 seconds and I ride all-weather.

I know mixing the color scheme isn't something most people would do, but that's kinda why I like it. hey, I gotta be me right?

Swap out for a black headlamp and I would be all over this...just what I am currently drooling about. My opinion only.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I say keep the opal fenders...even if you shorten them.

I LOVE them on my bike. As you guys are aware, I pretty much ordered every chrome Bonnie option available EXCEPT the chrome front fender. I'll replace black with chrome...I'll replace grey with chrome....but I will not remove any of the opal or tang....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts