Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stumbled across this photo...
Anyone?
Check out the right to left drive chain mod as well as the reverse clutch lever through the bar cable!
Can't tell from the photo but it looks like the foot controls have been modded also?
Sure would like to see 360 degree photo's...
What a job!
BTW The photo came from... http://www.virginiabritishmotorcycleclub.org/new_index.html

·
Registered
673 Posts
Everything on that bike it backwards. The tank is underneath, the front suspension is backwards, the chain is on the wrong side. I am surprised the headlight is not shining in the rider's eyes. He probably drives on the wrong side of the road too. (Offense intended to all you brits, aussies and 90% of the rest of the western world driving on the "wrong" side of the world) :p

·
30,296 Posts
Well, not my kind of thing, but frankly it is well executed. There is a lot of thought in the construction - the builder has captured a real 1900's to maybe 1915 look with it. Reminiscent of those early bikes. Kudos to him for the quality of the build I say, but no I don't want one. It's a lot better built than some of the hack jobs I have seen people put together over the years. Maybe I can get all the bits of his triumph that he didn't use, and put an engine in it? :cool:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yes definitely ugly but curiously beautiful in an outrageous sort of way at the same time. Looks kinda dangerous too. Like maybe you could catch your pants leg in the chain or wear a groove in your shifter foot and I bet it runs rich when your pants legs get sucked over the air intakes :rolleyes:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Stumbled across this photo...
Anyone?
Check out the right to left drive chain mod as well as the reverse clutch lever through the bar cable!
Can't tell from the photo but it looks like the foot controls have been modded also?
Sure would like to see 360 degree photo's...
What a job!
BTW The photo came from... http://www.virginiabritishmotorcycleclub.org/new_index.html

Don't think that bike is modified. Note the mechancal rear brake, and right side shift, left side brake were the norm on 1940' bikes.

I think it was in th 60's (probably 1968)that left side shifting became mandatory in US.

But it wouldn't be the first time I was in error,.:)

·
Registered
363 Posts
The bike is definitely a 'bitsa', with that Hinckley engine in the 1920's style running gear.

BTW bikes were still available until the mid-seventies with right side shift. My '72 Ducati and a friend's '72 Norton were both right side shift, one up, four down, so we could swap rides without getting confused.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
S.ok but the real thing is better.

My Dads NSD and Me!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Don't think that bike is modified. Note the mechancal rear brake, and right side shift, left side brake were the norm on 1940' bikes.

I think it was in th 60's (probably 1968)that left side shifting became mandatory in US.

But it wouldn't be the first time I was in error,.:)
The bike is highly modified. It sports a jackshaft to move the final drive from the right side to the left side. Personally, I think it's gorgeous.. I wish I had the skills to build something like that myself.

Oh, and FWIW, the feds mandated left-side shifters on all m/c's in '74.

·
Registered
229 Posts
cool

I like it - well most of it !
Not too sure about the point of the chain drive but i do love the frame tank & sprung seat combo.

Its good to see someone is going down a different path cusomising the triumphs. Theier next bike will be interesting....

Reminds me of Jessie Rook's bikes

Clive

1 - 15 of 15 Posts