Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a parking ticket today and I'm damned if I'm going to pay it!

Common sense left the building nay the country I think. Here's my response to the council.

Dear Sir/Madam

I'm writing to you regarding the issue of a penalty ticket on the above date. On the date in question I had to attend a meeting at the REP theatre. Since motorcycles are at very high risk of theft, I decided to park in the REP car park as there is no motorcycle parking bay that I am aware of for a good distance and I needed to park the vehicle near to the venue I was attending. I entered the car park and discovered that whilst there is provision for disabled parking there is no provision of a motorcycle bay. Out of consideration for other car park users, and so as not to cause an obstruction to a complete car parking bay I parked my motorcycle on a triangular area marked by yellow diagonal lines. I would stress that I was causing absolutely no obstruction to any other vehicle and was infact showing consideration and common sense by leaving car parking bays free for larger vehicles. See attached photo

I then purchased a valid parking ticket. Which I was unable to attach securely to the vehicle so I retained the ticket in order to produce it if I needed to prove that I had paid the parking charge. See attached Photo.

I returned to my vehicle within the hour to find that the vehicle had been issued with a Penalty Charge.

To say that I am angry would be an understatement. On this Occasion I believe I acted entirely reasonably and out of total consideration for others. To be issued with a penalty for being considerate is nothing short of foolish. Quite clearly the vehicle was causing no problems to others and quite clearly was parked out of the way as you can see from my attached photo. I also paid for the parking. I might point out exactly the same ammount I would have had to pay if I'd been using a car even though I took up a fraction of the space.

I am afraid this incident clearly points to a total lack of common good sense. It is the application of a rule blindly and stupidly without taking into consideration the obvious situation. If I had parked a car or commercial vehicle in this area I might understand but a motorcycle?!! This vehicle is small and not obstructing anybody. Indeed if this penalty is to stand, there is no option other than to act completely inconsiderately to others by blocking a whole parking bay it would seem. Birmingham City Council punishing people for being considerate? sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

I would politely ask you to re consider the issue of this penalty. Please restore my faith in the fact that we live in a country where common sense and consideration for others are appreciated and not where every rule must be unbendingly adhered to regardless of the circumstances.

P.S The Penalty charge says the Vehicle tax expiry date is the 30/04/2000. Please explain to me how this can be the case when the vehicle was not even manufactured until 2007!!!!!!!

polite but to the point I think. Fuggin idiots. The Joke is I work for the same council. maybe they just decided I'm paid too much and wanted to claw some cash back. anyhow they have a fight on their hands. :mad:

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
That's harsh treatment from "the man." In some places in Nevada the only places allowed for bikes to park is in those yellow triangles. Hope you win your plea.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
..... best of luck Nick! - I am with you on this especially as you were even good enough to buy a parking ticket.

Essentially the Council got something for nothing - you paid them without using a parking space.

Although to be fair to the Council they wouldnt have known that you had paid when they wrote the ticket - no doubt they will now see the error of their ways and bin the ticket and apologise for being plonkers :D

Thats a good letter and with supporting evidence - no contest.

Grant:cool:

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Nick, I can't help but noticing that both of the pictures you posted are 320 pixels wide. One of them is 240 pixels tall, but the other is only 182 pixels tall. This inconsistency is unacceptable. Please choose a width-to-height ratio that is appropriate for your photos, and stick to that ratio. We'd prefer that you stick to the exact dimensions, but being reasonable, accomodating people, we will be satisfied if you will maintain a consistent ratio. If you fail to comply with our reasonable suggestion, we will rezone your yard as the only approved site in the county for canine defecation. Furthermore, we will ban the use of pooper scoopers or 'doggie bags,' as we do not like them.

Hoping you are well,

One of an endless stream of petty rule-makers and -enforcers

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yours is not the only recent example of stupid and inconsistent parking regulations. On Sunday some friends were attending a function at Leeds Civic Hall hosted by the Lord Mayor. One of these friends has a blue disabled parking badge and so parked in a disabled parking bay. He returned to find he'd been given a ticket.
Now, parking is free and has no time limits in Leeds on Sundays - except it transpires in disabled bays. These have a time limit of 2 hours. Why the anomaly? To stop disabled bays becoming clogged. There were many free disabled bays on that day but he and several others received tickets. Idiocy is rife in local government.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Keep hoping!

Well I'd like to have faith that common sense will prevail :rolleyes: but - pardon my cynicism - some how I think not.

Law and Government is often about the unbending application of rules that no one understands, make little sense and nobody wanted in the first place by people who can't get proper jobs like the rest of us.

T'was ever thus, even in Will Shakespeares time it was the same hence his famous quote of 'the law is an ass' ........................in so many ways!

Neverthless good luck with your case & I hope you come out ahead - keep us up to date with this one!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I had a "drive-by", the other week. I was loading a TV into the back of the Landy outside an electronics shop. It was on a double yellow, but I was there for about thirty seconds (having done the paperwork while the truck was parked in a car-park round the corner, all I had to do was load up). As I was pushing the box into the back of the truck with the assistance of one of the boys from the shop, I noticed a cop car go past. Closed the back door, jumped in and drove off. Thought nothing more of it. Two weeks later I get a summons for a traffic violation - "parking on a double yellow". Pay the 40 euro fine within 28 days, or go to court and face the prospect of an eight hundred euro fine.

The Guard must have written my number down from the safety of her moving vehicle as she was driving past. Now that's what I call great policing, not even having the balls to hand you a ticket to your face, so to speak. (Not that she had balls, by definition.)

Good luck, Nick. Non illegitimi carborundum, or whatever it is in Latin.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I dont know if its because I live in America, or because Im just inconsiderate (but I repeat myself... lol) but I always use up a full parking space. Theres no shortage of morons that will inevitably do harm to your bike if you try to be decent and park otherwise, not to mention that nowhere around but the bike dealers (and only a couple of them) has bike specific parking, so perhaps its a bit of revolt on my part.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
In a time when everyone is concerned about the cost of energy, you'd think that they would provide a motorcycle rider with a small parking area to reward them for not using so much gasoline. I'm sorry Nick for the stupidity of the situation and the lack of consideration. I hope you stick it in their ear mate.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
There's a few towns and cities (not that we've got that many ! :D ) with motorcycle parking and they're always free. Tauranga and Mt Maunganui are two friendly towns for bikes, Tauranga have them at each end of metered car spaces. Even Auckland has a few and if you park it away from being in anyones way around malls they don't bother you.

However I haven't seen any in your town Grant, but the parking wardens are quite good, one time I was in Whangarei's central shopping area there were no parking spots and I asked a warden where I could park and she pointed to a spot that looked illegal and said 'Just park it there, I'll keep an eye on it " (I had a back-pack on it).

....and it was when I returned to it.

--------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Bricktown(OKC'S Entertainment district) has quite a few bike parking areas and seem to be adding more. That is the way to go down there where car parking can range from $5 to $20 depending on the place or activity going on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Last year we had a bike breakdown in Edinburgh, coolant hose. We pushed the bike as far as possible in to a corner out of the way and left a note on it. Went to the bike shop got a length of hose and a clip then went to a restaurant across the road and filled a couple of empty water bottles.

By the time we got back parking tickets had been issued. We took photographs of the bke with the pool of coolant under it and running down and dripping off the engine.

Despite this and the traffic wardens own photographs showing the bike with pool of coolant they refused to let us off with the fine unless we supplied.

A) An invoice from a recovery firm showing that that specific bike had been recovered.

B) An invoice for parts and labour from the garage that carried out the repairs.

We had neither, the second hand section of hose and cliop were free of charge from the back of the shop, water free from the restaurant. Cost of breakdown £60 parking tickets.:mad:

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Nick, perhaps you should consider joining the 'No to bike parking fees' campaign and come along for the big demo on 11th May.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Oops - not with you on this. That is a clearly defined no parking area. Outside schools you will see similar - and people park with impunity and total disrespect for families and children. There is a local campaign against such parking. It is frustrating but - well if you dont want the fine hunt out a parking bay or a quiet discreet wide pavement in a side street or go into a car parking bay and pay for a ticket. Sorry, - but I am on the side of avoid rather than rant.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Outside schools you will see similar - and people park with impunity and total disrespect for families and children
And people who park cement trucks in front of Emergency room doors are also idiots. So are people who park Smart cars in apartment building elevators. What does that have to do with Nick? That space is yellow striped because a car can't fit there without causing an obstruction. It doesn't appear that Nick was causing any obstruction, or he wouldn't have parked there. The law is a jerk, and there should be room for common-sense exceptions.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thankyou. Lets get this straight I wasn't outside a school or a hospital I was in a ruddy great car park and Hide is quite right they painted those lines to deter a car from parking there which would have caused an obstruction. On the other hand a motorcycle caused no obstruction by being parked there. Perhaps the blardy council should have dedicated a couple of bays to motorcycles as then I could park there without blocking a whole car parking space. I was acting out of consideration for car drivers. Something they rarely afford me as a motorcyclist. The Parking ticket was issued by someone with no common. I have also done just as suggested and found a nice wide pavement with no possible way of causing an obstruction and got a ticket for that too a few years back now so parking on the pavement doesn't work either especialy now your every move is watched by the man behind the camera. It realy is that bad over here. Everyone I have spoken to here thinks it was completely out of order to issue a ticket. That includes people who do not ride. I can only hope that the dept responsible agree. Whatever I'm building up to fight this one with humour and grace but to fight it nevertheless. A petty issue maybe but its the tip of an ever increasing iceberg of bullshi t.

Today I learned that average speed cameras, linked together over 100s of miles and specifically tgtd at Motorcyclists are about to be switched on in several parts of the UK. Effectively making it impossible to exceed the posted speed limit at all. Never mind Elvis, the joy of life is leaving the building rapidly. I have thought of a bloody good tactic to really make a point though. A mass ride through the areas covered. Normal sensible safe speeds i.e not idiotic artificially low speed limits but how we all would normally ride, breaking the limit here and there not in villages or built up areas. But then in between camera sites, coming to a complete stop blocking the entire road, having a chat or a fag or a cup of tea, then after twenty minutes or so carrying on until we pass the next camera site then stopping again. That will fug up the average speed measure as its based on the time between passing each camera. It will piss off the servants of our police state and make the point that you have little choice but to do otherwise without losing your licence or alternatively having to ride in a manner which will hold everyone up and cause even more nuisance. Just an idea I might suggest to MAG. Of course I don't expect Ian of the boots to join on this one but I bet quite a few might. Its not something I'll try to organise alone but I might just drop the idea into the MAG pot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts