Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my RS in for a service last week. Since picking it up, Ive noticed a petrol smell which has now got stronger. Had the tak off at the weekend and noticed...

A tiny bit of damage to one of the o rings on the petrol in feed...
Nothing at all on one of the connections... According to the Hybes, its a fuel pressure regulator, but I have nothing on it and cant see anything that looks like it belongs on it??? Ive got a scottoiler fitted (on when I got it), if that makes any difference??

Any suggestions wouold be good. Im going to get in touch with the garage, but getting it there is a hassle I could do without..

Any ideas?
Ta,
Phil.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
WYP,

Look at my post on fuel fittings. The shop may have nicked one of the o-rings ('nicked' as in damaged, not stolen), or possibly did not reseat the fitting completely.

The hose fitting on the FPR is not connected to anything.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
To be honest Phil mate.......and even though as a Lancashire lad it pains me to offer you advice (j/k!) you are as well checking two things....

Has the recall been done on the fuel tank hose fittings?.........and/or
Do you want to replace/or get t'garage to replace the unreliable plastic fuel fittings (in the Fuel pump tank plate)....

Trust me...the one in't tank WILL leak......eventually, it is very brittle.....probably as you are going through Hebden Bridge on a wet sunday!!!, it's a fairly easy job, I think Colder products UK stock them...try doing a search on here/ check the maintenance threads.....

It's one of the (few) minor problems with what is STILL the best Bike that Triumph has ever produced!!!!!.....while you are at it, check your tank drain hoses actually drain......if not, some of that lovely Yorkshire rain might find it's way into t'tank eventually!!!!........happened to my RS, and I've heard of quite a few others whose drain hoses get blocked easily!!

ttfn........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^ Bloody hell. What they say about you Lancastrians cant be true!!! :)

Cheers for the advice. taking it back to the garage on Friday for them to have a look and will also have a look at any threads around the tank fittings..

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
It's the plastic female fitting that usually breaks..........it usually goes AFTER a few 'Tank removals' but I heard of at least one that allegedly failed on't road..........purely for peace of mind I'd get it done, lad!!!!!

PS Are those 'Big Golf Balls' still on't North Yorks moors......??

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Colder products......??
are they UK based..?

I got mine from Ride Team Triumph........BUT they are US based, AND they use a NAPT ( North American Pipe Thread) which goes against the grain with a few of the more technically competent lads on here.....
(I've had no problems, and no leaks.....but bacically you are combining a British Standard Pipe Thread with the NAPT mentioned above...two different 'kinds' of thread layout)...........

The Golf balls are gone.....blimey, it's been THAT long since I couriered over t' North Yorkshire Moors......!!!!!!

tomparker.co.uk........but you'd have to search for the right size/viton o ring..............

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Alternative Quick-disconnects

One problem with the standard design QD (metal or plastic) is that only one side seals when they are uncoupled. That is, the tank is sealed but fuel will still run out of the injector line as soon as you lower the end. A better solution is provided by Jiffy-Tite fittings, because they seal on both sides. Unfortunately, I have never seen them with BSP threads, so you have to add an extra fitting on the tank end and a short length of hose. Note, the rear fitting takes a close elbow because of the limited clearance between the tank and frame.

Here is a link to a supplier but I expect they are readily available from race shops in the U.K (e.g. Demon Tweaks).

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?t...onnects&form_cat_id=39,24,363&action=category

1 - 9 of 9 Posts