Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody in a position to do a side by side comparison of the filler caps from air cooled and water cooled twins?
What is the difference between them?
Cheers
Tibs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The various makers of custom filler caps seem to say they are only suitable for one or the other, but I haaven't managed to get anyone to tell me why.

·
Registered
146 Posts
They are the same ... also the same as HD Sportster. I have the non locking cap on my 2018 T120 - no need for the locking cap, it is a nuisance to use, and the non locking cap looks more 'retro' or authentic to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that's what I thought, so I bought a pop-up cap for a Sportster, but it will only make about 1 complete turn before it jams, as though maybe the thread is a very slightly different pitch.
I'll take it along to a local bike night tomorrow and see if I can persuade other Triumph and HD owners to do a comparison.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My riding buddy has (had) a 2017 Sportster Roadster with the basic, stock, screw in fuel cap ... no 'pop up' whatever that is, ... fit my 2018 Bonnie perfectly. Good luck with your quest!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plot thickens. The cap I bought fits aircooled Bonnies and also fits new Sportsters. In fact it fits almost anything except my sodding bike. Hey ho. Strangely I think the one I need is one that fits an 82-95 Harley.

I'm probably going to spend lots of money on cheapo caps in my attempt to save a few quid. Story of my life LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts