Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after 23 years of living in London, I am finally saying goodbye to the most expensive city in the country. Due to a work transfer I will soon be working in one of our offices in Cambridge (cannot wait and I love Cambridge).

I am also looking to buy a place. In Peterborough (because I can't afford anywhere in Cambridge).

I was wondering if anyone has experience of commuting between these two places by bike? How bad is the traffic and how long cam I expect it to take?

From everything I've read, the A14, A428 and M11 are all really bad for traffic during daily commute. However, being able to filter on the bike should make the journey easier. Plus, after riding in London for three years, I'm used to stop/start traffic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good luck with your move. enjoy your motorcycle.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You can ditch up and around St. Ives, but the traffic is still an absolute nightmare anywhere around there. You are trading buses and cars for lorries and farm tractors in that area. There are no real solutions unless come off the A roads and take the B roads (B1040 from the A14 thru St Ives to the B1090 up almost all the way to P'Boro). Pretty driving but still fairly congested during the high times.

They are likely finished with most of the construction on the A14 on the west side of Cambridge, but the A14 can still be fairly awful.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
here's something from an outsider. I've been to the UK a few times on business ans so on, including the Cambridge area.

the best spot for me was Newmarket as only about 12-15 miles along a nice back road to Cambridge that I used to take daily to Cambridge for the few weeks while I was there. friends were living a little further out at Redlodge which was made up of a lot of new houses and besides the freeways there were backroads from there to Newmarket then onto Cambridge.

this was only about four years ago so wouldn't expect much to have changed since. would have loved to have been able to get around on a motorbike at the time as it was the English summer

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can ditch up and around St. Ives, but the traffic is still an absolute nightmare anywhere around there. You are trading buses and cars for lorries and farm tractors in that area. There are no real solutions unless come off the A roads and take the B roads (B1040 from the A14 thru St Ives to the B1090 up almost all the way to P'Boro). Pretty driving but still fairly congested during the high times.

They are likely finished with most of the construction on the A14 on the west side of Cambridge, but the A14 can still be fairly awful.
I'll pretty much be doing the A1 onto the A14. I fully expect loads of congestion. I even heard there are lots of lorries switching lanes that make the journey a nightmare. But, if the traffic is slow moving or af a standstill, that is where having a bike will be beneficial. Thanks to the magic of filtering ( I hope).

As I said, after riding in London traffic for 3 years, I have no problem with slow moving traffic or filtering. Just wondering how long it might add to journey time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A14 arggghhh I hate the road I am afraid! But it isn’t central London so you will make progress. I live in Essex and have spent loads of years against the traffic doing A12, M25, M11, A14, A1 to Peterborough and then the reverse home.

Plenty of beautiful places to enjoy in that area however, and better more plenty of awesome rides to enjoy. You will benefit in the long run👍

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Essex and have spent loads of years against the traffic doing A12, M25, M11, A14, A1 to Peterborough and then the reverse home.
I'm going to doing this for at least a couple months. Am looking to buy a place in Peterborough, so while I wait for everything to go through on the house I'll be travelling from Greenwich to Cambridge and back daily, using the route you mentioned, mi us the M25.

Plenty of beautiful places to enjoy in that area however, and better more plenty of awesome rides to enjoy. You will benefit in the long run👍
Yeah. Am looking forward to plenty of weekend rides once Spring returns.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ugh. @urbandread - two moves in one year! That’s rough. Congrats on the new gig though!!
Not really. The recent one was always supposed to be temporary, which is why I put loads of my stuff in storage. That's probably why the move was relatively painless. Doing the full move from London to Peterborough may be a tad more stressful. But, hopefully not.

Reactions: CorithMalin

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used to live in Welwyn Garden City and commute to Ely. Was about an hour in a car and not that bad. If you're going to be there for a while worth checking out houses East of Cambridge, the roads and congestion are much better coming in from that side

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to live in Welwyn Garden City and commute to Ely. Was about an hour in a car and not that bad. If you're going to be there for a while worth checking out houses East of Cambridge, the roads and congestion are much better coming in from that side
Thanks for the advice man. But, I need to be West side of Cambridge as I need to be able to easily get back to Bedford to visit my dad regularly, for reasons. Plus, I don't have a car licence, so will be reliant 100% on the bike.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm guessing you were renting in Greenwich and now buying in Peterborough ?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
728 Posts
You've ridden your bike in London - you can now feel confident riding anywhere (except Bristol and Naples of course)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You've ridden your bike in London - you can now feel confident riding anywhere (except Bristol and Naples of course)
Confidence is not the issue. I was curious about travel time and if the traffic is as bad as I read in my research.

What's wrong with Bristol and Naples?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Bristol is full of suicidal cyclists, who think we can still see them at might with no lights.

Naples is the craziest place I have ever navigated. Find a car without a dent, and it will be a tourist who has just arrived.

Peterborough to Cambridge is probably a regular commute for many. I've been up and down the A1M out of rush hour and it's not so bad. Maybe car sharing could be an option when covid is a memory ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey urbandead
Check out Cambourne, or St Neots areas which are West and cheap for Cambridge standards, or around Bassingbourn/Royston. There will be traffic mostly in the direction you are heading, but it's single carriage A road, so less risk of being taken out by someone changing lane without due care and attention. It's also much nicer scenery. I would not choose to commute from P'bro to Cambs as a regular rush hour journey, (which I have done in the past out of necessity, just grim).
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Bristol is full of suicidal cyclists, who think we can still see them at might with no lights.

Naples is the craziest place I have ever navigated. Find a car without a dent, and it will be a tourist who has just arrived.

Peterborough to Cambridge is probably a regular commute for many. I've been up and down the A1M out of rush hour and it's not so bad. Maybe car sharing could be an option when covid is a memory ?

I thought the whole country was full of suicidal cyclists , as for lights at least no lights aren't the super bright led's aimed at oncoming motorists .

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never ride at night, unless I am going to/coming home from the cinema.

Duly noted.

I don't have a car licence. And I prefer the solitude of being out on the bike, listening to tunes.

Hey urbandead
Check out Cambourne, or St Neots areas which are West and cheap for Cambridge standards, or around Bassingbourn/Royston.
I have. Nothing suitable/affordable on the market at the moment.

There will be traffic mostly in the direction you are heading, but it's single carriage A road, so less risk of being taken out by someone changing lane without due care and attention. It's also much nicer scenery. I would not choose to commute from P'bro to Cambs as a regular rush hour journey, (which I have done in the past out of necessity, just grim).
I don't mind traffic (I do live in London after all). And as for drivers changing lanes without looking, I'm used to that too, having to go through the Blackwall tunnel twice a day. The approach, especially in the morning, is fraught with drivers changing lanes, jockeying for position as they traffic crawls. This is why I filter at 15-20mph and am constantly vigilant for any driver doing that. There are other bikers who are behind me, impatient and revving their engines trying to get me to go faster, but i'm not putting my life at risk for the sake of a few mph and maybe getting through the tunnel 3 mins quicker. Not worth it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts