Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the bug is Bonneville! His column in the most recent issue of Cycle World didn't say what he'd done with the Goodwood Green and Gold T100 he previously owned, but he goes on at length about how this particular 2008 T100 had him depleting his checking account shortly after he saw it at his local Triumph dealer. And the 09s were already in stock. Apparently it was in a color combination to which he just couldn't say 'no'!

I've been there before.

Bob

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. Don't think we're permitted to scan copyrighted info and post it to the forum. Probably ok to quote a line or two. Didn't want to ruin it for anyone who receives their copy of Cycle World a day or two after I got mine. This post was just a heads up.

Bob

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
My boss is very good friends with Peter, and is mentioned from time-to-time in his columns. It is kind of fun to get the inside scoop now and then, and some pics of his Bonneville and Scrambler were recently passed along. :cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
And the 09s were already in stock. Apparently it was in a color combination to which he just couldn't say 'no'!
The color is most likely Jet Black/Tornado Red. The 09 T100 isn't available in this color. That was one reason that I went for the 08 instead of waiting.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Can't wait to get my new copy of Cycle World..."Saint Peter" is the first column I read when I get a new issue. I've been reading his stuff in CW and R&T for years.

Can't wait to hear how he becomes infatuated with a Hinckley Bonnie. Perhaps someone should nudge him in this direction? That will drive him headlong into obsession for sure. :D

Jason

·
Registered
980 Posts
The color is most likely Jet Black/Tornado Red. The 09 T100 isn't available in this color. That was one reason that I went for the 08 instead of waiting.
Red and Silver, according to the article.

·
Premium Member
17,471 Posts
Can't wait to get my new copy of Cycle World..."Saint Peter" is the first column I read when I get a new issue.
That's funny, I like his writing so much I save it for last! I guess he'll never get over his Ducati infatuation, though...

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
685 Posts
His most recent Cycle World article about a Triumph purchase is kind of strange, to me anyway. Peter writes with his usual honest and straight forward style about falling in love with a new T100. He describes what he had to do to obtain this object of his lust. Yet, he never mentions the Triumph Scrambler that he bought about a year or so ago, if my memory serves me correctly. He knows that a sizeable number of bike riders and buyers read this magazine. Why no mention of the Scramber, if even to cite that he had bought it? Maybe it was an editorial decision that cut some of his text due to space limitations. Or maybe it's just me who wants more free marketing for Triump, when it's truly justified. :eek:

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
His most recent Cycle World article about a Triumph purchase is kind of strange, to me anyway. Peter writes with his usual honest and straight forward style about falling in love with a new T100. He describes what he had to do to obtain this object of his lust. Yet, he never mentions the Triumph Scrambler that he bought about a year or so ago, if my memory serves me correctly. He knows that a sizeable number of bike riders and buyers read this magazine. Why no mention of the Scramber, if even to cite that he had bought it? Maybe it was an editorial decision that cut some of his text due to space limitations. Or maybe it's just me who wants more free marketing for Triump, when it's truly justified. :eek:
I never read his article about buying a Scrambler, but he did purchase a Goodwood Green and Gold T100 a few years back, and I thought surely he'd mention that one in his recent article.

As it was, the Jan issue of Motorcyclist looked like a Triumph pub:
1. Editorial - B Catterson borrows a Thrux to ride with some vintage bikers
2. Egan's column about buying the 2008 instead of 09 T100
3. Scrambler hop up article.

Is this a sign that things are a'changin' in the bike marketplace? Is retro the new thing? Are we going to be overrun by wannabe's on Britbikes? Will the Teutels retool so they can work on vertical twins? Will Jesse's brother Frank have a show? Tune in next week for Chapter 2 "Doin' the Ton with Rosie O'Donnell".

Bob

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
PE is a great writer whether jotting notes about bikes or cars. (He writes for Road & Track too.) I find his columns pithy and hilarious. The longer articles are often burdened with too many facts, a situation made understandable by the need to pass along pertinent information. However, when he is given free reign, it seems to me he follows the adage of a good friend of mine "Never ruin a good story by telling the truth."

Write on Peter!

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Good point - I forgot about the Scram until just now. If memory serves correct, he waxed eloquently about what a nice "accessible" bike it was...throw on a jacket, jeans, and a helmet and ride, in a comfortable, upright position. No kevlar race suits, space-age helmets, knee pucks, etc. (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Wish I could find the article, alas, I've been 'recycling' my magazines to the local library as of late so only have the last month or so. Did he actually buy the Scrambler or was it a borrowed bike?

Jason

·
Registered
685 Posts
Rotaryracer,
I could have sworn that I read in his column a year or so back that he bought a Scrambler and wrote things like: how much he really enjoyed the Scrambler, regardless of what others had written; that when it was time for real fun on a bike, he'd choose the Scrambler over his other bikes; that he even went to a friend's bar/pub in nasty cold weather.

But then again, reality is such a fragile thing. Maybe I just dreamt it. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Red and Silver, according to the article.
I haven't read the article since I don't get the mag:)

The Claret/Aluminum Silver is still available for 2009 so he didn't pick it up because the color isn't available for the new model year. Guess he just got the fever:D

I can understand that. Also the price did go up a bit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If I remember correctly he didn't buy one (yet), but his friend that owns a local restaurant he frequents was the one who bought the scrambler. He's been fondly admiring it for awhile tho. He went on to say what a fun, inviting bike it was to just get on & go, without needing too much of a reason to just go for a ride.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If I remember correctly he didn't buy one (yet), but his friend that owns a local restaurant he frequents was the one who bought the scrambler. He's been fondly admiring it for awhile tho. He went on to say what a fun, inviting bike it was to just get on & go, without needing too much of a reason to just go for a ride.
:) You are correct sir. He also did a review of the Scrambler, riding some of the fire roads around LA.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I remember now. Thanks for the clarification. So many bike articles read at home or scanned at my local Barnes & Noble/Borders free libraries. I least I didn't fabricate the whole deal. I feel better now.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Particularly interesting to me was Pete's comment, ...it brings the magical combination of size, performance, and agility that got many of us into this sport to begin with (para). I could not agree more. He also speaks of the T100 as not really suited to "a long trip". This is arguable for many, but I happen to agree prompting me to buy my Moto Guzzi California Vintage. Mr. Egan spoke well of this machine in a recent Cycle World feature article as well. How could I not be a big fan of this guy? Heck, he even likes to play blues guitar...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts