Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As of lately, if I do not turn my petcock to the off position, ALL the gas poors out really fast.
I forget to turn it to the off position every now and then. It never leaked before when I left it open; What should I do?

Petcock leaks fast if I leave it open and I walk away. This is new how do I fix it?
thanks

·
Registered
978 Posts
There is a kit to repair it, it's likely the internal diaphragm has torn/displaced.
Its fiddly but straightforward.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Is the fuel coming out of the actual fuel tap or the carbs? If it's the tap then you might get away with cleaning it out and replacing the O-Ring in there.

Here's what one looks like in bits -

..click to enlarge

They're really ery easy to work on, just make sure you get a fuel-proof replacement O-Ring.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the gas poors out of the bottom im not sure where or how to tell. I just noticed the huge gas. it was dripping out of a tube maybe it was a nice steady streem.
where would i find new orings and stuff to fix this?

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Try rapping your carbs a few times with the plastic end of a screwdriver. May just be a stuck float or two (which is typically due to a piece of crap preventing the inlet needle from seating properly). The stock filtering on our beloved Keihins makes old Amals with their large, easily removable, washable nylon screens look like high tech; not sure about your Mikunis.

For what it's worth, be sorta careful with this stuff because, over the years, I've heard of two sets of Mikunis which managed to catch fire while the bike was running.

·
Registered
671 Posts
sounds like petcock problem... if it was just the needle then would only flood with the petcock 'on'... if its getting into the carbs in the 'off' position then its normally the nylon 'cone' inside thats worn and these arent available, so a replacemnet petcock needed.. have a search, numerous threads on here regarding options... new from triumph (expensive and still not rebuildable) new from Pingel (expensive but rebuildable and shiny :) ) or new yamaha ones (cheap but may have less reserve capacity)...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so it looks like gass is dripping out of the center of the airbox. at the bottom. I really dont know what to do? cant find that part can i switch to a TBS airbox easy enough? or anyone have one laying around i could buy. im going to swap all the hoses out some are cracked.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Gas is coming out of the airbox because one or more of your carbs is flooding, the gas coming out of the carb is being dumped in the airbox, and the airbox is leaking. If turning off the petcock stops the flow of gas (eventually), then the problem is in a carburetor. If not, it's in the petcock.

Bikebandit should have your parts listed:

http://www.bikebandit.com/1995-triumph-thunderbird/o/m147385

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Actually, both. The carbs should stop the flow of gas regardless of the setting of the petcock. The petcock is more of a fail-safe.
Yep. That's what I should have said. Thanks for the correction.

I virtually never turn off the petcock, for what it's worth. It's a good (if potentially somewhat flammable) way to ensure that the whole system is doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Edit: DOH! I did it again! Leaving the petcock on ensures that the carb floats and needles are doing what they're supposed to be doing (stopping gas flow when the bowl has been filled).

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Don't worry about the petcock, you have a stuck float or clogged float valve. If giveing it a rap with the screwdriver don't work, looks like you'll need to take your carbs apart.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yep as above.. ignore my ramblings about petcocks, I missred the original post and thought fuel was getting through with the tap in the 'off' position...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts