Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1....I got new petcocks for my '68 Bonnie. I used the two metal washers and pipe thread and they leaked after two days. Someone on this form suggested ..'gas resistant pipe thread', but I can locate it nowhere. Help!
#2....TR6....I have it in tip-top shape, except when I am riding and put the brakes on hard there seems to be much vibration in the forks. They have ' supposedly' been rebuilt? Help.
Thanking you in advance! Pochie

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used loctite 518

set the tap to final position back off lock nut 1/3 turn
remove tap good bead of 518 just at lock nut
fit tap tighten lock nut
no washers on mine

has worked well for me, trouble i had was finding decent taps with enough thread once lock nut was on. Some I had would only be holding by 1 1/2 threads when tap in final position

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
#1 Petcocks should have against the tank bottom a washer with vulcanized rubber seal inner lip, then a flat washer against the locknut on the tap itself.

#2 Vibration under braking is due to brake maladies, which can be several. Inspection in order.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Petcocks and forks

Thanks for the information. I will get the brakes checked by my mechanic and will try a rubber o-ring next to the tank and then my metal washers and also locktite applied. This site is such a comfort when small or large problems arise! Pochie

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Thanks for the information. I will get the brakes checked by my mechanic and will try a rubber o-ring next to the tank and then my metal washers and also locktite applied. This site is such a comfort when small or large problems arise! Pochie
Additional O rings may not work as the washers with the vulanised insert are designed to fit tight on the fuel tap thread, thus preventing any fuel leaking down the thread. The O rings will seal against the washers but may not seal the fuel tap thread and you will still have a leak.
If they are new fuel taps it may also be worth checking there are no manufacturing faults as I had a brand new one that had been machined incorrectly and had a hairling split in the threads.

Cheers
badger

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
394c is correct.........use the proper washer with the rubber insert built into it. It doesn't look like much, but it works!!

Just my $.02 worth: Jim

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Petcocks

I will try and find that type washer at the cycle shop. I assume you mean the rubber is 'attached(vulcanized)' to the metal washer and the rubber side goes next to the tank. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Hi Pochie,

Actually, the rubber is around the inner circumference of the washer, that way it seals the threads along with the tank and petcock when it's squeezed.

Gasoline will find its way through any small opening: Jim

·
Registered
138 Posts
If they are new fuel taps it may also be worth checking there are no manufacturing faults as I had a brand new one that had been machined incorrectly and had a hairling split in the threads.
This is indeed wise advise. I've had two "new" fuel taps fail from hairline cracks in the castings. I'm strongly considering going to the all brass British style taps. Leaking fuel in my garage makes life unpleasant with the wife. :p

Has anyone had any experiences with these? They are considerably more pricey than the oriental ones, but apparently use no rubber seals (although I'm not quite sure how they seal).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts