Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Personalized License plate- asking for ideas from UK members....

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Happyfeet 
#1 ·
I'm kicking around the idea of ordering a personalized license plate for my 79' Bonneville and thought it would be fun to solicit ideas from members here, particularly those of you who live in the UK. Looking for a slang term or word used in the UK that would sum up one's pride in their ride. I found some ideas using Google but thought asking around the forum might prove interesting. The plate can have only 6 characters, people regularly drop vowels out of spellings to "Fit" it on a plate . I invite any and all suggestions no matter where you live, might be fun!

#14 ·
Hi Duc96R
"Bob’s your uncle" is an enduring turn of phrase in the UK first used about 140 years ago.
The Prime Minister at the time Robert Cecil (Uncle Bob) appointed his Nephew Arthur Balfour as Chief Secretary for Ireland (Ireland was under British rule at the time), this act of nepotism, surprised everyone as Balfour was not a natural candidate for the post. Balfour succeeded Cecil as Prime Minister. Due to Cecil’s timely resignation, Balfour became prime minister without contesting an election.
The public and press concluded that you all Balfour needed was “Uncle Bob" to suceed.

The phrase became very popular and was uttered when things have been made easy for you (whether through nepotism or not). Often used at the end of a set of instructions. "Bob’s your uncle"
maybe, "Shoehorned in", "et voilà", "Piece of cake" "She'll be right" could be used instead.

Regards Peg.

Reactions: Happyfeet
#18 ·
Not sure if this is what you had in mind but here's a few from the depths of my disturbed mind...
RYDOLD (Ride old)
PRESHS (Precious)
BNYRDR (Bonne Rider)
OILDRP (oil drip) or DRPOIL drip oil
SLTFLT (Salt Flat) SLTRDR (salt rider) for the Bonneville Salt Flats link
79BONY (obvious)
HAPYFT HPPYFT(Happy Feet)
BRANDO (since he rode a triumph in The Wild One) or MARLON for the same (different model I know)
4THRYD 4DARYD(For the Ride, was once the triumph saying, not sure if it still is)
HNKLBK (Hinkley Bike)
T140BK (T140 Bike) 140RDR, or
RYEDIT, RYDIT, RIDEIT, RYD IT, (just Ride it!)
LTLRKT (little Rocket)
BTLRKT (Bottle Rocket)
BNYRKT (Bonne Rocket)
TTLGND (TT Legend) for being the first production bike to do a 100mph average lap at IOM.
TTWINR (TT Winner) for 7 straight years

That should give you enough to work with, have fun.
Kiwi

#22 ·
Thanks for the replies! Fun to see your ideas. I'm leaning toward a single word not commonly used in the USA as slang, something that will puzzle the person seeing it. My first name is Robert, so I like "Bob's your Uncle" as a phrase, but since I'm Uncle Bob to a slug of family members, it won't make people scratch their head. Dave M said that a 79 Bonne is "naff" in the UK and I am even considering it as a possibility while knowing it means boring, or uncool etc. Here in the midwest, USA, Harleys and its clones are most common and in my mind are "naff". People here see my bike and it always starts a conversation or gets an approving nod or a thumbs up. So a bit of irony might be appropriate.
Here are some others on my short list-

Jammy
Chuffed
Proper
Dishy
Fit
Cheeky
Tidy
Cheers

#27 ·
Dave M , I gotcha... funny how we can both speak the english language and I misunderstand your meaning! Kinda makes the irony of "naff" all the better! Over here, personalized plates are all the rage, so to speak.... university sports teams, combat veteran, conservation of natural resources, etc. The state makes lots of extra green $$ selling the privilege of having them.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.