Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 351 Posts

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
I guess it was bound to happen...I am surprised it went 5 pages before a comment like that showing up. Did you happen to notice that this was a military section of the RAT forum? There's a stretch...people that have served actually enjoying using a firearm for sport :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I'll just close it and save all the hassle.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Gentleman my apologies this thread was going well. I started it as a common link Triumphs and guns. We all have learned how to shoot...at least those of us who are or were in the military from the military. We have been having good discusions and have been well mannered. I will ask that non military people remain outside of this forum. Furthermore if someone does not like this thread feel free to refrain from posting. If someone posts negatively it will be removed. I suspect photonboy was never in the military and had only three posts total. Again I apologize for not seeing his post earlier. Thank you Lee

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Nice touch Lee and thank you. I actually really enjoyed this thread as I plan on taking this up as a sport once I return to the states and got a lot of information off of this as to peoples opinions/likes/dislikes.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Nice touch Lee and thank you. I actually really enjoyed this thread as I plan on taking this up as a sport once I return to the states and got a lot of information off of this as to peoples opinions/likes/dislikes.
Bonnie thankyou....remember when you get back to let me know for that pizza run.

Gentleman if someone posts negatively to start a problem ignore it and I will take care of the post and any trouble maker trolling. This forum was started for former and current military servicemen. All others have the rest of the site to post. Thank you for your service Lee

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Hey guys, would this be of use to any of you? :D

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Others might disagree with me on that product but I think it is bad news. I'm not looking to be some cowboy and advertising that I am carrying like some scene in Mad Max or something. I do plan on carrying when I trek across the states when I return but this is more because of the camping aspect that I will do in the Pacific Northwest. With that said, carrying a firearm on a motorcycle brings up certain challenges. Bring a lock box and put it in a saddlebag is a choice I don't like...it is still a stolen weapon if it is lifted while my son and I are having a cheeseburger and a coke at some cafe. I think the best way is to go through the proper channels legally and get your concealed permit...that is what I am going to do.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
It is on the wrong side...:D at least in the states.... Saphena that is funny though.... Here in NM we can carry concealed with permit or in the open no permit needed.. A vast difference from my home state NJ where sling shots are illegal....

·
Registered
866 Posts
Others might disagree with me on that product but I think it is bad news. I'm not looking to be some cowboy and advertising that I am carrying like some scene in Mad Max or something. I do plan on carrying when I trek across the states when I return but this is more because of the camping aspect that I will do in the Pacific Northwest. With that said, carrying a firearm on a motorcycle brings up certain challenges. Bring a lock box and put it in a saddlebag is a choice I don't like...it is still a stolen weapon if it is lifted while my son and I are having a cheeseburger and a coke at some cafe. I think the best way is to go through the proper channels legally and get your concealed permit...that is what I am going to do.
Take the time to learn the different laws in the states you will be visiting. Laws vary dramatically, & to add entertainment value they are constantly changing as well. My UT CCP is is losing reciprocity in more states all the time. Do your homework and be careful.
As for carying/stowage options, Keep it within reach as best you can. Maybe a tank bag the you just pull off and carry when your away from the bike.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Thanks for the advice Overkill and you are right, it is important to stay on top of that changing information. I planned on getting an out of state permit from Utah and Florida. Having those two as well as my NY permit, then I would pretty much have the lower 48 covered. You are exactly right about the reciprocity...it seems like they make it enough of a hassle to go through and people will stop. Its frustrating to say the least...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Helpful link...

Minor Zombie Warning:
I found this site through a firearms related site. For some reason I thought of of this thread. In light of the direction the discussion was going, I thought it would be helpful.
Note: this is by no means the final word on any state's firearms laws, but think of it as a quick helpful reference for basic familiarity.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I would love to see a Federal carry concealed permit. This way the requirements would be consistent and states like NY, NJ, Cal and Mass. could not usurp our rights.....

·
Banned
390 Posts
I carry and shoot quite well a sig 40 cal.I feel for my Brit brothers.What a damn shame such a basic right is denied you.Whether its used for self defense or carried because you like the feel ,should be entirely the choice of the citizenry.It is a God given right to defend ones self and should be considered your duty to defend your family if confronted.
zombie realization:Damn this thread is kinda old.Oh well,I still feel strongly about my beliefs.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I agree with you Lee. A uniform standard would make it much easier to be compliant while traveling. I imagine the laws in New Mexico may be different than New Jersey. Are they more or less restrictive? Michigan still remains a shall issue state for concealed carrry with little or no waiting period. I believe we also honor many other states carry permits. Have you looked into a permit for New Mexico?

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
I agree; seeing federal action on this would be fantastic but I highly doubt it would ever happen over the gun issue. The states have been chewing themselves up for too long for this to work and there would be some significant upheavel. For example, I am from the same area Lee is from in NY and he is right...it is EXTREMELY difficult to get a concealed permit. Go below Westchester and you cannot get one period...doesn't matter what the circumstances are...you are not getting one. Now if the federal government was to pass something something radical for east coast states like NY, then those same laws would become extremely restrictive for states out west. I think they have left the states beat each other up over for so long that it now a friggin mess when you look at this issue from state to state.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Duncan you are right the thread has been around for a while...but it is evolving and does not have to be a one time statement.

I think that we need the backround check, training to be uniform and then to have the states be compliant to the Federal standard. States like NJ are very subjective...if you know someone, you have money or some other variable you can get it... in Tenn. you get a back round check, training and you will receive your permit as long as everything checks out.

On another note I am thinking about getting a Taurus Judge .45 Colt long round or a .410 shotgun round. I have been hearing mixed reviews. The .410 round is good for snakes. Has anyone gottten one?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Duncan you are right the thread has been around for a while...but it is evolving and does not have to be a one time statement.

I think that we need the backround check, training to be uniform and then to have the states be compliant to the Federal standard. States like NJ are very subjective...if you know someone, you have money or some other variable you can get it... in Tenn. you get a back round check, training and you will receive your permit as long as everything checks out.

On another note I am thinking about getting a Taurus Judge .45 Colt long round or a .410 shotgun round. I have been hearing mixed reviews. The .410 round is good for snakes. Has anyone gottten one?
I know a guy with a Judge, he enjoys it. I have little interest in one myself, but they look like fun. It also loks like a pretty good defense gun if concealibility isn't your biggest issue.

Does anyone seriously believe that getting the federal govt involved deeper in the CCP process is going to end well? When I see the Gun Hating nutjobs that keep getting elected to the congress, I am thankful every day that they don't get to tell me whether I can have a gun (yet). Let's say that we did it. there would be Hundreds of new federal jobs created at the BATFE. That agency is headed by a POLITICAL APPOINTEE, not the most qualified. Can you imagine that guy telling his people: Drag your feet on every application or find a reason to deny it. Look at what's going on @ the DOJ with the Black Panther issue. They are allegedly going on a policy that minorities cannot commit race crime, as directed from ther head office. Whether we are getting the whole story is yet to be determined. But a scenario where such behavior is possible is not a stretch.
Keep it at state level. If your state sucks, then (CA, NJ, etc) then perhaps it's time to get involved and put pressure on your officials through your state & local organizations. Vote the bastages out. New Jersey may be helped by the fact that there is a conservative governer in place now.

Also: person could do worse than a Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub compact.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Taking politics out of it and just discussing how the governmental system works, then yes, I will be all for the federal government making one standard for the entire country. The states simply do not play well with each other on this; for example, I have been looking into my concealed permit for when I do my coast to coast ride and back once I return to America. Looking into what it takes to legally be able to carry for this ride is a nightmare and is almost a full time study in legal studies to get everything right. It simply is ridiculous; kind of reminded reading about the day when no one could catch their train on time because every state would not adhere to standard time zones until the government came in and mandated the established time zones we have now. Of course none of this will ever happen because we are talking about guns but the states do not play well with each other at all in this area.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Taking politics out of it and just discussing how the governmental system works, then yes, I will be all for the federal government making one standard for the entire country. The states simply do not play well with each other on this; for example, I have been looking into my concealed permit for when I do my coast to coast ride and back once I return to America. Looking into what it takes to legally be able to carry for this ride is a nightmare and is almost a full time study in legal studies to get everything right. It simply is ridiculous; kind of reminded reading about the day when no one could catch their train on time because every state would not adhere to standard time zones until the government came in and mandated the established time zones we have now. Of course none of this will ever happen because we are talking about guns but the states do not play well with each other at all in this area.
Without going into deep detail, you may notice that the states that make gun ownership difficault tend to share a certain philosophical ...perspective. ;)

41 - 60 of 351 Posts