Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be in possession of a 2011 Sprint GT. 7200 miles. A new battery was installed 2 years ago. Not sure yet what that battery is yet. Wondering if a new battery investment might be wise, since I don't know the use history, and do not want any no-start surprised. I'm no expert, but so far the Odyssey seems like a good choice. Is it? Is there better? Is the Odyssey PC925 the best of their line for a GT?

Thanks for your help and advice.

MD

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Yuasa too.

Better double check the charging system and maybe put a series RR. Shindengen SH847 for instance. You'll need an adapter cable set like triumph ref T2500676 .
You may want to find a cheaper SH775 if you never run the engine above 9k rpm and you don't add a ton of power consumer on you bike. A used one from a Polaris for instance. That's what I did.

Be sure to buy a genuine Shindengen. Not one of the fakes we can see everywhere.

You may want to read that.

My first Yuasa on the GT lasted 8 years. I changed it as a precaution measure but it was still good maybe a little weak. The new one is a Yuasa as well. Always keep it on the charger.

And while you are at it, you may upgrade the starting cables. I put 25mm² and the starter spins much faster now saving battery and sprag.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The question has to be asked, why get a new battery if it's not needed?
A sensible question. I'm thinking ahead. And probably over reacting, based on a recent bad battery experience with a moto guzzi. The smart thing to do will be to see what I have first. Today is the day I'm picking up this Sprint GT. First thing I'll do when I get it home is check the battery. See whether it has an alarm to.

I already have a battery charger (Noco Genius5) on order. So assuming it's a decent battery, I'll care for it and ride for awhile no changes. I appreciate the info here. And going to look into Fred's notes on upgrades. Thanks all!
MD

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW: Brought this pretty silver GT home today. 160 mile shakedown cruise. Almost couldn't get going. On earlier bikes, could put it in gear then kick up the sidestand as you pull away. Not this one! With that solved, I got to know thus machine a bit. Impressive. Such a comfortable ride. Great ergonomics, as if it was tailored for my frame. Smooth, powerful. Refined. A lot of head buffet on a windy day at highway speed. Might have to think on windscreen options. But overall, I could not be happier, making thus bike's acquaintance.
MD

·
Registered
331 Posts
Have had a Motobatt in my ST for around 7 years after the OEM Yuasa gave up at 3 years old. Think it might be coming to the end of its life now but that's not bad going. Always have it on the Optimate 4 when it's at home.

So, based on my experience, Motobatt beats Yuasa

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Macduff: I checked yesterday. The battery in there now is a two year old Yuasa AGM YTX14-BS. Put it on the charger (Genius5) yesterday, but no need. Fully charged. So it appears all is well on the battery front at this time. Meaning, I can move on to other things ... such as windscreen. I got buffeted around hard on Friday's ride, big noise too even with earplugs in. So I'm pondering a laminar lip, PB double bubble or one of the eagle screens. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I personally got the giant eagle screen. While the look seems awkward to many I admit I couldn't ride w/o it.
Fred: Which one did you get? Did it calm the air and reduce wind noise? It's the noise that's really bothering me most. I might start with the laminar lip ... also pondering the PB double bubble. With Eagle, I have no idea which one is the right one to choose.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The ultra touring eaglescreens 680 mm screen. But I added an MRA x-creen because w/o it I got the air right into the helmet which was very annoying.
W/ the MRA x-crenn it's perfect.

You may want to try their ubertouring which is 720mm. It didn't exist at the time I bought mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts