Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a post where a member claimed 135hp on a dyno run. Got me thinking that we need a running list of what performance upgrades people have made. This should include, cost, time, suppliers, gains. The mods available to our bikes are harder to find than on "million unit per model" jap bikes. Might even be a good thread for a sticky?

Ill start...so far all I have done is K&N, M4 GP style exhaust, and a "high mount off road factory tune" (how the tech described it to me)
total cost so far was $500 for the pipe and $50 for the filter. I went from stock 98hp on a corrected dyno to 106hp corrected. Ive switched to a full synthetic oil since my last test.

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
I just saw a post where a member claimed 135hp on a dyno run. ...
I went from stock 98hp on a corrected dyno to 106hp corrected....
Absolute numbers are pretty worthless as dynos and conditions change over such a wide range of values - only relative numbers, like your own are worth looking at - even then, important that it was same dyno, same set-up, ideally same day before & after.

There's not much available on market for performance gains - pretty much an exhaust and re-tune from PC3 or TuneBoy. With Tuneboy you have ability to tweak the ignition timing, pC3 not - unless you purchase the optional ignition module & those are not available for all models.
You certainly won't get the maximum from your configuration with a 'canned' factory TORS tune (even if is an improvement over stock however).

·
Registered
286 Posts
no dyno but I only really have 2 mods for power:

used wolf cans about $500
factory tune (the arrow one i believe, def not Tors) $45

I'd like to dyno it in the spring and see what i get.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im talking about everything, not just engine. Sprockets, suspension, weight reduction, steering dampening, rearsets. Anything that improves the FUNCTION of our beloved steeds. Unfortunatly, the only upgrades ive made so far involve engine performance. Hopefully that will change soon! :p Sorry if my concept was a little fuzzy.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
There are some pretty good threads in the archives ( recently ) about suspension mods, imho, the best mods to make on ANY bike. Honestly, you'll make more of a "performance" increase with a properly sorted suspension than anything else.
That, and a Total Control or similar class.

Low on the "bling", high on Return on Investment

·
Banned
557 Posts
Remus Hexacone dual exhaust, carbon fiber
Custom mid-pipe w/ pre-cat removed
ported/polished header
ceramic coated header and mid-pipe
TuneBoy and custom fuel MAP

Rizoma grips
Rizoma rear sets

Ohlins rear shock
Racetech front springs/valves
Matris steering damper

Pazzo levers

Brembo brakes (stock 2009)

Powder coated headlights, kickstand, rear passenger pegs/mounts(not currently used)

No dyno...don't need to do it....my "chocolate balloon knot" puckers REALLY tight when this bad boy pulls like a freight train and power wheelies in second gear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Remus Hexacone dual exhaust, carbon fiber
Custom mid-pipe w/ pre-cat removed
ported/polished header
ceramic coated header and mid-pipe
TuneBoy and custom fuel MAP

Rizoma grips
Rizoma rear sets

Ohlins rear shock
Racetech front springs/valves
Matris steering damper

Pazzo levers

Brembo brakes (stock 2009)

Powder coated headlights, kickstand, rear passenger pegs/mounts(not currently used)

No dyno...don't need to do it....my "chocolate balloon knot" puckers REALLY tight when this bad boy pulls like a freight train and power wheelies in second gear.
Damn, that's quite the setup. I didn't know the mid-pipe had a catalytic converter in it :confused:

Any updates on this guys? I'm also interested to see what power mods people are implementing on their bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I didn't know the mid-pipe had a catalytic converter in it :confused:
05 to mid 07 -> small precat inside header + CAT mesh inside cans + no catalyzator in midpipe
mid 07 onwards -> large CAT inside midpipe bulge

Oz+NZ all years: no CAT and 05 style midpipe

The list of easy power mods is quite short: any free flow exhaust & ECU tune. +2 teeth on rear sprocket will improve acceleration nicely with minimal cost.

Anything further will involve head work, custom cams, conrod upgrade, engine balancing etc. Not many have dared to venture this way due to cost:
http://www.sport-evolution.de/html/body_speed_triple_1050.html

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Ziggy

Pazzo brake and clutch levers.
Wolf / Trident mid-pipe without the cat.
Wolf / Trident carbon fiber oval cans.
Remap the injectors.
Air filter change to reusable oiled.
GSG sliders all around
Carbon fiber front fender
Carbon fiber hugger
Removed passenger pegs and hardware.
Safety wired the break calipers and lines. Also oil filter, drain and filler plug, front wheel.
Shorten the chain guard.
Did the Lee Parks Total Control at track day.

Suspension to be done at Computrack as soon as I get my trailer working.

Zoom! Zoom!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Ziggy

Pazzo brake and clutch levers.
Wolf / Trident mid-pipe without the cat.
Wolf / Trident carbon fiber oval cans.
Remap the injectors.
Air filter change to reusable oiled.
GSG sliders all around
Carbon fiber front fender
Carbon fiber hugger
Removed passenger pegs and hardware.
Safety wired the break calipers and lines. Also oil filter, drain and filler plug, front wheel.
Shorten the chain guard.
Did the Lee Parks Total Control at track day.

Suspension to be done at Computrack as soon as I get my trailer working.

Zoom! Zoom!
Where did you get the catless mid-pipe?

What's the point of pazzo brake and clutch levers? Less travel / more torque at the fingers?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Where did you get the catless mid-pipe?

What's the point of pazzo brake and clutch levers? Less travel / more torque at the fingers?
Mid pipe is from Trident / Wolf in the UK.

Pazzo's feel / adjust better to me and are not as long as stock. I ride with 2 fingers on the front brake. They look nice too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts