Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very impressed with the ways the members of this forum modify their bikes and share information about mod's parts etc.

I'm a new Thruxton rider and thinking about making my first modifications to my moto. I wanted to throw out a hypothetical situation out here to see what you guys and gals would do.

If you had 500 dollars to spend on a stock EFI T100, Bonneville, SE, Truxton, or Scramber, how would you spend it to eek out the most performance? No Exhausts!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Accessorize

IMHO $500 isn't going to buy you a whole lot of preformance.
Start pricing around and you'll quickly realize accessorizing is a rather expensive proposition.
There are a few things you can do, mostly around the air intake system, pull the air box out and re-jet, add some K&N filters and put her on the dyno. That's gonna cost about that much. You might consider getting a baseline dyno to compare the differences of what you do.
Lots of posts on that operation on the board, just use your search function and you'll find a wealth of posts on most anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank Koifarm,

I'm looking at the sticky thread for mods and tips right now. How much does a dyno cost on average?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
dyno prices vary greatly depending on where you are and who you know.
not much you can do with the restrictions you put in place.
maybe 790 cams and a tune. That will put you over the limit though.
Start saving your pennies.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Suspension, front and back. My suspension upgrades cost more than $500, but not a lot more.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Ride the bike awhile save your money .Take time to deside what you want and how much you can spend on getting what you want.Buy the right parts the 1st time .$500, wont go far in hp parts.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm very impressed with the ways the members of this forum modify their bikes and share information about mod's parts etc.

I'm a new Thruxton rider and thinking about making my first modifications to my moto. I wanted to throw out a hypothetical situation out here to see what you guys and gals would do.

If you had 500 dollars to spend on a stock EFI T100, Bonneville, SE, Truxton, or Scramber, how would you spend it to eek out the most performance? No Exhausts!
OK... we just need to clear up a couple of things first... You say you're a new Thruxton rider and then ask about moding the EFI Bonnie, SE, Thruxton or Scrambler...

You want to up the performance but add "No Exhausts!"... If you won't open up the breathing with intake and exhaust improvements, there will be no improvements in engine performance... That is the bottom line.... And TORs will improve the exhaust note (over the sewing machine quiet stock cans) but offer only slight breathing gains over stock...

5 bills and no exhaust changing won't do anything... but let's play the "what if" game here...

I'm a 790 and carbs guy... so the EFI thing is uncharted territory for me...

Optimally, you could do the same "air box carve" and pod filters to open up the intake... add some decent breathing cans and remap the ECU... about 6 bills or so for the pods and cans... For us "old timers" that have igniters... we get them remapped to add some advance to the ignition curve... If that adjustment is possible to the ECU, then great... if not, well, I don't know...

Suspension... a lot of improvement to be gained in comfort and control for around your budgeted 5 bills... Either dual rate or the proper single rate fork spring and the proper corresponding fork oil... Shocks... lot of opinions.... some like Ikons... I like Progressive Suspensions 440 series of shocks.. Still, you're looking at nearly 6 bills for front and rear... and you're doing the work yourself...

Brakes... when the stock pads wear out, upgrade them to EBC HH pads and install a quality set (Spiegler for example) of braided lines and fresh DOT 4 fluid... you'd be surprised at the improvement in braking/feel... Adding the EBC floating front rotor is a step up too.

Others... personalize it... make it your own... set it up the way you want it... I've owned two Bonnies (one wrecked) over six years... It's an on going process... enjoy it...

That's just my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
You want to up the performance but add "No Exhausts!"... If you won't open up the breathing with intake and exhaust improvements, there will be no improvements in engine performance...

Suspension... a lot of improvement to be gained in comfort and control for around your budgeted 5 bills... Either dual rate or the proper single rate fork spring and the proper corresponding fork oil... Shocks... lot of opinions.... some like Ikons... I like Progressive Suspensions 440 series of shocks.. Still, you're looking at nearly 6 bills for front and rear... and you're doing the work yourself...

Brakes... when the stock pads wear out, upgrade them to EBC HH pads and install a quality set (Spiegler for example) of braided lines and fresh DOT 4 fluid... you'd be surprised at the improvement in braking/feel... Adding the EBC floating front rotor is a step up too.

Others... personalize it... make it your own... set it up the way you want it... I've owned two Bonnies (one wrecked) over six years... It's an on going process... enjoy it...

That's just my 2 cents worth...
+1.

No reason to mess with the intake side if you plan on leaving the 'corks' on the exhaust side. Also, no need to add HP if you aren't able to ride the wheels off it in its current state of tune. You might already be there, but I only know my own skill set & that's something you need to answer for yourself.

Set up the bike for your weight/riding style. I'd upgrade the suspension w/ proper springs, fork oil, and rear shocks. Then actually dial them in!!

That will easily burn through the 5 bills....if you decide to add more $$, use it for track days to bring your skills up to where you can ride the bike 100%. Then you can think about adding more performance.

Not sure if the EFI bikes have the same issues with AI that the carbed bikes have, but I'd probably remove that stuff if they do...I like blue at the first bend, but not back to the mufflers...

--Rich

·
30,533 Posts
Ride the bike awhile save your money .Take time to deside what you want and how much you can spend on getting what you want.
This is good advice - get the feel of the bike. Maybe you like it the way it is, but ride it first. There is lots of talk around modifications to these bikes, becuase playing with them can be as much fun as playing on them - but do what is right for you, not just because other folks (me inluded) do it.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Decker,

Maybe the best "First Step" is to ask you to define what "Performance" means to you. It means a lot of different things to different people.

Street riding? Urban area? Country? Freeway slabs? Which do you do most?

Daily Commuter or weekend rider?

Flat-out speed record attempts?

Solo rider, or two-up?

Lot's of low end grunt?

Handling?

Iron Butt style, long range riding?

Economy? Fuel Efficiency? Reliability?

Bench racing / Dyno racing?

Loud and rude?

Stealth? (Looks stock, but packs a lot of punch).

Handling? Lot's of twisties and peg scraping?

Chrome Show-Bike?

How long do you plan to keep it? 1-2 years? Forever? Be realistic.

Lot's of different choices here, and probably many more, but you arguably can't have them all. It's best to map out a realistic goal, then fit the mod's to your personal riding style and preferences.

In defense of the Stock Bonnie/Thrux/Scrambler - the guys at the factory had to make a lot of compromises and choices to arrive at a bike that could pass the ever increasing EPA, Noise, Safety, and so on restrictions, so the bike as you recieve it is poked, choked, restricted, handcuffed and gasping for air (in and out). Looking for strategic ways to improve this, without spending over $500, is very do-able, but better that you tell us what your long range plans are for this bike.

Bob

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
500$ budget on a t100 ? Not too hard . You're gonna work though .

A set of Emgo reverse megaphones . 60$ each . . Classic 12"shorties are 20$ each . Mikesxs.com
K&N air filter ? 75$
Polaris bellmouth ? 12$

That's just 207$

Keihin CVK jet kit ? Not sure . 100$ ? Correct me if I'm wrong .

1" clubmans at Biltwell ? 80$ ( optional )

A set of 14 1/4 inch Progressive rear shocks ? 215$ at 1stopmoto.com

This will set you a tad over 500$ but it would be the best for the money mods you can do for 500 or so dollars . And that's WITH a set of slip on pipes , Mate .

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you are not willing to put a more free flowing exhaust on your bike I wouldn't bother with any other mods because you will be wasting your time. I would do like sweat suggested and get the faster cheaper bike and trade yours in.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thank Koifarm,

I'm looking at the sticky thread for mods and tips right now. How much does a dyno cost on average?
Why dyno it?
A dyno is for fine tuning the A/F after carb, airbox, exhaust and engine mods...
Yours is a stock EFI...
Pipes and remap, but your adamant on no pipes...
Save your $80-$100 and get some bling or gear...
Oh yeah, I see a gremlin bell in your near future if you go the nitrous route!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info!

The reason I arbitrarily said $500 is because I plan to buy an exhaust in the future, but I didn't want responses like a big bore kit or ohlins shocks in the back. I'm really looking for the best bang for the buck. I guess I was looking for the cheaper modifications I could do now, like progressive springs, before I decide what I would really like to do in the future. I should of been more clear in the beginning.

In defense of the Stock Bonnie/Thrux/Scrambler - the guys at the factory had to make a lot of compromises and choices to arrive at a bike that could pass the ever increasing EPA, Noise, Safety, and so on restrictions, so the bike as you recieve it is poked, choked, restricted, handcuffed and gasping for air (in and out). Looking for strategic ways to improve this, without spending over $500, is very do-able, but better that you tell us what your long range plans are for this bike.
Thanks Gob,

I think the first step for me would be to select and buy progressive springs and new shocks in the back.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts