Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a number of motorcycles over the years, but this is my first Triumph, and while I really like it, the stock sound and lack of power leave something to be desired. I have an 08 America (California model).

I went up to Reno today to talk with the dealer about modifications that might be reasonable. He seemed very knowledgable, and willing to work with me. His suggestion for upgrades in power were:
Bub Pipes = $419
Air Box Eliminator kit = $299
Stage 1 cam = $699
Labor = $620 which includes rejetting and dynotuning the bike. No charge for new jets, since they keep the old jets and just replace them.

I would love to hear any comments to help me make a decision. So far I'm considering
1. Go with just the pipes and air box kit
2. Going with the whole proposal
3. Checking E-bay and Craigslist and see what I can come up with on my own. I am not a mechanic, so I would still need help with installation and the dynotuning.

Stan

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Those prices are about the same you're going to get anywhere else. The only thing you can really save on is the labour if you do it yourself. You can keep your pipes and debaffle them and that will save you the cost of new pipes.

You can find used pipes, but the rest of that stuff you're going to have a hard time finding second hand.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
You can save a little on the air box elimination kit, and just buy the TPUSA billet intakes and K&N pod filters.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marc, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to start pricing things today and see just how much I can save either doing the work myself (with a little help from friends). I'm far from a mechanic, so only the simple things are within my capabilities.

sweatmachine, he was talking about the Triumph Stage 1 cam. I emphasized that I wanted to maintain reliability and streetability and that was the cam he recommended.

I would really like to find someone in the Sacramento/Stockton area who's done the Air intake and Air Box removal and have them look over my shoulder as I did the work. I don't mind at all doing the work, but I certainly don't want to screw things up.

·
Registered
866 Posts
As parts prices go, those are fairly reasonable. Can't really comment on the Labor cost (if you can't say anything nice...).
I didn't know Triumph had an Upgrade Cam (Set?). Is anyone familiar with these? Are they someone else's part, i.e. TP USA or BC? The price seems decent.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
sweatmachine, he was talking about the Triumph Stage 1 cam. I emphasized that I wanted to maintain reliability and streetability and that was the cam he recommended.
I didn't know Triumph had an Upgrade Cam (Set?). Is anyone familiar with these? Are they someone else's part, i.e. TP USA or BC? The price seems decent.
Triumph doesn't offer a performance cam setup. Someone is confused here. I would look elsewhere for performance advice.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
They're probably just toting it as their own to keep the business in-house. They probably plan on 6-7 hours labour, at about $90-$100/hr.

As newbie, he can tackle everything except the cams, which can easily be done at a later date.

UNI pod filters $35
TPUSA Billet intakes $175
UNI Crankcase breather $14
Debaffled pipes - $0
145 Main Jets $20

Total $234

This presumes you carv the air box instead of removing it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may have assumed when he said Stage 1 cam he was talking Triumph, but can't say for sure. I do know that they've been into racing for years, so probably know what they're talking about. Usually people who race successfully do.

Marc, I would really like to do the work myself, because I have the time and probably most of the necessary tools, and would love to save the money, however, I am not mechanically inclined and if something can go wrong it will (Murphy was an optimist). I've spend hours reading the "How to" posts on here, and have the Haynes manual, but I'm still reluctant to tear things off the bike and start tinkering with them.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I may have assumed when he said Stage 1 cam he was talking Triumph, but can't say for sure. I do know that they've been into racing for years, so probably know what they're talking about. Usually people who race successfully do.

Marc, I would really like to do the work myself, because I have the time and probably most of the necessary tools, and would love to save the money, however, I am not mechanically inclined and if something can go wrong it will (Murphy was an optimist). I've spend hours reading the "How to" posts on here, and have the Haynes manual, but I'm still reluctant to tear things off the bike and start tinkering with them.
The stuff I listed in my last post was relatively easy to do. If you go with carving the airbox like I said, there's one on ebay right now for about $40 that you can do and then install on your bike afterward.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marc, I hate to sound stupid, because I'm, not, but I'm just not mechanically inclined. Is there somewhere that shows me what needs to be done to carve up the air box ?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The stuff I listed in my last post was relatively easy to do. If you go with carving the airbox like I said, there's one on ebay right now for about $40 that you can do and then install on your bike afterward.
Mark, 2 questions.

First, will that air box fit my 08 America? and if so, if I buy it, will you walk me through the carving process through email ?

[email protected]

Stan

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Maybe someone else can comment as to whether or not the airbox is unchanged. I believe it is the same. We may even have a how-to thread for this; but basically you're just cutting away all the unnecessary parts of the airbox that are not holding your gadgetry, such as the battery, fuse box, side panel etc. When you buy an ARK (Airbox Removal Kit) they supply a special bracket for holding all this stuff.

Yes, I can help you with some instructions. In the meantime I'll try to verify the airbox compatibility.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to do it

OK Marc, you've convinced me. I'll start by getting an extra air box and reading as many posts as I can about what is required to modify it. But I still hope that I can count on you and some of the others who know what they're doing to help me if I run into problems.

Stan

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Just remember, you'll need either the billet intakes or a carb brace to hold your carbs in place because they won't be attached to your airbox anymore.

You will have to re-jet, so if you're not comfortable with doing that yourself, make sure you have someone lined up to help you. To give you an idea of what's involved:

http://www.dinqua.com/Triumph/carbs1.html

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bikebandit has them listed as the same part numbers, so I think your safe.

Here's the billet intakes:
http://www.triumphperformanceusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=14

Airboxes on Ebay:

Marc, I just bought the 2002 America air box (#3). Since it will take a few days to get here I'm going to try removing my air injection system in the mean time. I also bought a set of leather saddlebags and quick disconnect brackets from Leatherneck Jim. Damn, this has been an expensive day. Tomorrow I'll probably get a windshield. I have the Triumph summer screen, and it doesn't really go high enough. I'm 6'3 with a long torso and get the wind blasting right under my eyes with the Triumph windshield. I'm looking at some of the National Cycle windshields.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I'm not a windshield type myself - more of a minimalist. But yeah, with that stature you're like a sail on that bike. :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for the help

Thank you for the help so far, and hopefully you'll be able to help me through the "chop job" on the air box. I've been reading on the AI removal and hopefully I'll be able to complete that tomorrow. Then it's adding the saddle bags, ordering the windshield, modifying the air box, changing the pipes, rejetting. Damn, it's a good thing I'm retired so that I have enough time for all this stuff (in addition to honey do's, radio control flying and riding my ATV).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts