Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of peashooter-style silencers on ebay with the intention of drilling out the restrictors, and swapping them with the reverse-cone silencers on my 99 Legend (I'll keep the reverse cones stock). They came off a 95 TBird. The owner said he took them off a few months after he bought the bike new, and they look it - they look brand new.

When I shake one of them, however, I can feel something loose inside - not like there's a marble rolling around kind of feel, but more like if the welds on an internal part failed, and something inside is bouncing.

Anyone have an idea what that could be?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Did the previous owner have false teeth?:D
There has been frequent mention here of the captive nuts breaking loose from their welds in the factory silencers. Can you see them all in place?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the nuts are there. It's not a rattle like something is rolling around free inside; it's more like some part inside is not completely secured and it's bouncing back and forth in the same place. I don't know if that's a good description, but it's best I can do lol.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
As long as it's not something that could move and plug the exhaust escaping, it's probably a moot point, as you likely won't hear it with the bike running, especially after you perform the bafflectomy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I'm figuring. It was just kind of weird, taking it out of the box and discovering that. At least the captive nuts are in place on both of them. Having read the posts here and hearing about the problems with the nuts breaking loose, I ordered a set of brackets for this pair and I'm not removing the brackets on the reverse-cones.

In any event, the price was right - I got them both for about $150 + shipping while BikeBandit wanted something like $360 each.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
most likely its a weld broken loose on a baffle

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I will post some pics. I did a few other cosmetic mods, and I've been waiting until I'm done. Haven't decided if I'll switch handlebars yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts