Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had the jardines installed, plus a K&N filter, chose not to do the PCIII. i picked the bike up and was happy with the sound and looks, as I'm riding the bike home i notice a couple of different smells? one I'm sure is the new exhaust, and the other, fuel burning to richly, i know this smell well, have a V-MAX! but this is a new smell for the rocket. i called the dealer and asked about it, they told me that they programmed the bike the best they could with the three programs the computer in the bike provides from the factory. at first they said there was no problem doing it this way? and really there isn't, the bike runs fine a little bit of popping from the exhaust but nothing serious, it also runs a little differently, I'm not sure if it runs better but its not worse, but there is a difference, regardless there is that rich fuel smell. so the dealer tells me to get rid of it I'm going to have to custom map the computer, meaning the PCIII. so i buy one through DK, i saved some money and was happy about that, took the bike in today to have it installed and custom tuned, almost 3 hours later i get the call, sorry there is a problem, we cant get the PCIII to work? they told me that they have seen this before, but its rare,they say they have to send it to dyno-jet to have it re flashed, stating that it was bad or erased right out of the new box? this was a new part not used, so they say that dyno-jet will re flash the part or give me a new one? anyone out there heard of this or know something about it?.

[ This message was edited by: YETI on 2006-11-23 15:12 ]

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2006-11-22 22:51, YETI wrote:
had the jardines installed, plus a K&N filter, chose not to do the PCIII. i picked the bike up and was happy with the sound and looks, as I'm riding the bike home i notice a couple of different smells? one I'm sure is the new exhaust, and the other, fuel burning to richly, i know this smell well, have a V-MAX! but this is a new new smell for the rocket. i called the dealer and asked about it, they told me that they programmed the bike the best they could with the three programs the computer in the bike provides from the factory. at first they said there was no problem doing it this way? and really there isn't, the bike runs fine a little bit of popping from the exhaust but nothing serious, it also runs a little differently, I'm not sure if it runs better but its not worse, but there is a difference, regardless there is that rich fuel smell. so the dealer tells me to get rid of it I'm going to have to custom map the computer, meaning the PCIII. so i buy one through DK, i saved some money and was happy about that, took the bike in today to have it installed and custom tuned, almost 3 hours later i get the call, sorry there is a problem, we cant get the PCIII to work? they told me that they have seen this before, but its rare,they say they have to send it to dyno-jet to have it re flashed, stating that it was bad or erased right out of the new box? this was a new part not used, so they say that dyno-jet will re flash the part or give me a new one? anyone out there heard of this or know something about it?.
My dealer is a DJ center and he said he had some problems trying to get the PCIII to work when it came out for the Rocket. One problem was that it wouldn't hold a tune when he download it from the computer. This was quite some time ago. Maybe you just got a bad unit. :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I had Jardines and a PC3 installed on my 05 Rocket,it also ran rich so my dealer used a laptop and pulled the fuel down by 10% below 2500 rpms.My dealer installed a K&N filter,drilled a butt load of 1/2 holes in the bottom of the air box because he thought the Corbin seat restricked air flow,he was able to add back the 10% of the fuel he pulled out and I have had no more problems with it running rich and my bike now leaves me with a grin on my face and my front wheel in the air whenever I the need for a rush.NOW YOU GUYS GO OUT N SPANK A V ROD. :razz:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems with your rocket 3. I am surprised to hear about the PCIII. I have 'reflashed' the PCIII from my own pc thru the disc provided in the kit. You want to make sure your bike has the stock triumph tune in the ecm to work correctly with the PCIII. Dynojet also has offered a module to connect on the O2 sensor lead. If this was not in your kit call them. I did . The bike works very well now.

D

·
0 Posts
Good replies and great info....I do have questions and concerns. I do want to put on a PCIII but I am concerned that I may encounter a problem where it may not run right or I have to spend a lot more money to get it right. Second, I purchased a Corbin rumble seat and I love it, however, I did notice how the seat could possible restrict air flow. Do I need to have holes drilled in the air box as well? Let me know the best way to handle that.
Thanks,
doc :???:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2006-11-28 16:14, docbates wrote:
Good replies and great info....I do have questions and concerns. I do want to put on a PCIII but I am concerned that I may encounter a problem where it may not run right or I have to spend a lot more money to get it right. Second, I purchased a Corbin rumble seat and I love it, however, I did notice how the seat could possible restrict air flow. Do I need to have holes drilled in the air box as well? Let me know the best way to handle that.
Thanks,
doc :???:
I have the Corbin dual touring seat and I don't believe it restricts the flow - certainly not compared to the stock seat with the bloody air intake manifold riveted underneath. You don't need to drill holes in the airbox! That's silly. First thing is to replace the stock air filter with a k&N.

As for a PCIII, it depends on your exhaust and intake.

If you have Triumph Off Road (TOR) mufflers and the cat box removed and replaced with the cat bypass pipe, then the Triumph stock 20054 tune will work fine. Except that it's a bit lean at the low end and backfires in the pipes on hard decel. This tune, and all of the Triumph tunes restrict power in gears 1-3 by closing the seconding throttle plates to various extents. You actually lose around 10 ft lbs at peak torque (~2700 rpm).

One way to get around this is to remove the secondary plates manually. However, the bike's ECU (computer) thinks they're still there - fueling will not be optimum. You can get around this with a PCIII but since the PCIII doesn't know which gear you're in there still could be problems (according to Wayne MacDonald).

One alternative which works well with the above exhaust is to get Tuneboy (~$400). This lets you mess with the tune in the ECU. You can load all of the stock Triumph tunes and there are also several custom tunes available, e.g., for the above exhaust, which were created in OZ by Wayne MacDonald, Mr. Tuneboy, on the dyno. All of these keep the secondaries open.I have TORs/cat bypass, K&N filter and Tuneboy and my bike dynoed at ~140 hp/150 ft lbs torque with a Tuneboy tune. The Tuneboy also lets you correct the speedometer to actual speed and increase the rev and speed limiters. It's worth it just to open the secondaries. The downside is that to date, there aren't many DynoJet dyno tuners in the U.S. who want to mess with Tuneboy. The process is much more involved than the PCIII.

If you went with a more free flowing exhaust like Jardines, you could benefit from the PCIII because the stock tunes are probably too lean. Same applies if you put individual filters (Unifilter or K&N) on the throttle bodies. If I went that route or did other engine mods (cams, head work) I'd still like to have a Tuneboy tune in the ECU to keep the secondaries open. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts