Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a person on the back today who is quite a bit heavier than me and it was not a good experience. Our total weight is well below the max allowed but I found the passenger sliding into me, even under light braking, especially downhill. It felt dangerous as I had to use my arms to stop me from getting pushed forward and I'm sure an emergency stop would have pushed me over the handlebars! I have ridden with passengers lighter than me, (admittedly many years ago and on a different bike), and it felt absolutely fine.

Advice is appreciated!

· Premium Member
39 Posts
A passenger on a bike is not a 'passenger' as most people think of it. The person on the back generally needs to play their part by anticipating what's coming, moving with the bike and using their own muscles to brace and absorb when needed. Heavier passengers that don't know what they're doing just exacerbate the problem.

I'd put this down to user error.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
My girlfriend weighs 330 lbs and is 6'4". I can't use the front brake with her on the bike because the front tire will start to skip across the road. The other day the bike didn't feel right and I noticed both tires look almost flat with both of us on the bike. Aired up the tires and several miles down the road I could smell something burning. Turn out it was the rear fender rubbing on the tire. I told her to lose weight and we got into this big old fight. I'm sporting a black eye these days and 4 broken ribs.

· Registered
559 Posts
I love my Bonneville but honestly, they're not built for two. I know they say that they can handle it, and that they come standard with a rear passenger portion seat, but the Bonnie is just too small and the suspension cant usually handle two full grown adults very well. I also ride a Goldwing GL1800, now that beast is made for two plus plenty of cargo.

· Premium Member
435 Posts
I got the seat on my Trident recovered because my wife was always sliding into my back just from rolling off the throttle. I got them to use jet ski seat material on the pillion section of the seat. It's very grippy, so she stays put, while I can still slide around and hang off the side (which us Trident riders do ALL the time).

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Velcro is the answer!!! Glue a piece to your seat and sew a piece onto the arse of your pillions jeans......Job done, happy days!!! No more bumping uglys :D

· Registered
4,278 Posts
My girlfriend weighs 330 lbs and is 6'4". I can't use the front brake with her on the bike because the front tire will start to skip across the road. The other day the bike didn't feel right and I noticed both tires look almost flat with both of us on the bike. Aired up the tires and several miles down the road I could smell something burning. Turn out it was the rear fender rubbing on the tire. I told her to lose weight and we got into this big old fight. I'm sporting a black eye these days and 4 broken ribs.
Are you sure she is not twins?

· Registered
46 Posts
I love my Bonneville but honestly, they're not built for two. I know they say that they can handle it, and that they come standard with a rear passenger portion seat, but the Bonnie is just too small and the suspension cant usually handle two full grown adults very well. I also ride a Goldwing GL1800, now that beast is made for two plus plenty of cargo.
I couldn't disagree more. I and many others have ridden double on many bikes much smaller than a Bonneville with no ill effects. In fact, I once rode from Wisconsin to Ohio on the back of a Honda 450 (then rented a trailer and went back to Wisconsin to pick up my broken Triumph - back in the "good old days"). The Bonneville is much different than a Gold Wing, thankfully, but that doesn't mean it won't handle a passenger.

· Registered
1,314 Posts
A passenger on a bike is not a 'passenger' as most people think of it. The person on the back generally needs to play their part by anticipating what's coming, moving with the bike and using their own muscles to brace and absorb when needed. Heavier passengers that don't know what they're doing just exacerbate the problem.

I'd put this down to user error.
I would ask what experience your pillion has! It is not a great idea to take a pillion who is heavier than you. But its really a dumb idea to take a pillion who is heavier than you and does not know what they are doing

Woah there fella I have to disagree with you there and you thank your lucky stars you do not live in our neck of the woods because my pillion would could around your house and bitch slap you with a black pudding :D the bonnie handles better with a good pillion (who is not too heavy of course) and while not being as roomy as a wing it creates a great ambience and an intimate ride (better to be someone you know well)

I couldn't disagree more. I and many others have ridden double on many bikes much smaller than a Bonneville with no ill effects. In fact, I once rode from Wisconsin to Ohio on the back of a Honda 450 (then rented a trailer and went back to Wisconsin to pick up my broken Triumph - back in the "good old days"). The Bonneville is much different than a Gold Wing, thankfully, but that doesn't mean it won't handle a passenger.
agree 100%

· Registered
662 Posts
DaleN, (op), you said you're a lot lighter than 330 lbs, I'll take a guess that you're somewhere 175/200 (or more?), and you asked for advice, so...that's too damn much for a Bonneville for any kind of decent quality of ride or handling or safety in an emergency situation. Yes the bike can carry it, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. A Rocket Three would be the only Triumph for that. And that would be pushing it. Facts is facts. She needs her own big bike.

· Premium Member
6,671 Posts
It is not a great idea to take a pillion who is heavier than you. But its really a dumb idea to take a pillion who is heavier than you and does not know what they are doing
I learnt that lesson early in my riding career.

Having someone of considerable weight decide unprompted to
"help me" by keeping the bike upright when we went into the first corner was quite an educational experience.

Bikes tend not to go around corners so well when you have 2 people leaning opposite directions in a corner, especially when the one leaning out of the turn is of rather ample proportions compared to the one on the inside of the turn :eek:

(Not quite as bad but still an issue is the adrenalin junkie or thrill seeker who tries to lean more into the corner than you - I have experienced that too - that was actually a rider who did it)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.