Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I did do a search and found lots of threads about the clevis breaking, which isn't confidence inspiring.. but couldn't find the info I'm looking for.

Does anyone know the size of the bolt that would be equivalent to what's on the stock clevis? I've found some m8 ones online and wondering if they'll fit.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
Hello, first it is the rider pegs that have been documented to have the possible breakage issue not the passenger pegs. Here was a couple notes that I saved from a post about repairing the pegs. I do not recall who here posted it but I save d it for the information. If you do some searching you will find others comments on this repair.

Foot Peg Repair:

When I became aware of this problem a couple years ago I pressed the stud out and tapped the clevis and the outriggers for a 3/8'' coarse thread. Used one inch long grade 8 bolts with a self locking nut on the back side for extra insurance. No drilling required. Before doing this I had partially copied an idea and tapped a hole and installed a 6mm Allen bolt between the top dowel and top corner of the bracket, probably a little overkill with the grade eight 3/8'' bolt threaded into the outrigger and self locking nut.

There is an alternate method that uses less whacking.
Turn the clevis so that it is upright and use a SHARP chisel to separate the FUSION weld. Although I haven't done any others than mine, I think the FUSION weld is only there for the ease of factory assembly purposes, and it's not at all difficult to separate.

A 1'' long grade 8 3/8'' bolt is the fix I decided on. I did not drill the bracket or frame but tapped them for the 3/8'' course threads. Tighten the bolt to 35 or 40 ft lbs and put a self locking nut on the back for extra insurance, end of problem forever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Back2-2 Ah awesome thank you!! Okay if the 3/8 fits through the hole on the frame then it's about a m10.

I'll buy some aftermarket clevis' and see how I go.

Cheers!!

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
You can use your clevis parts. You have to take out the bolts/ studs that are tack welded and use new stronger bolts for the mounts. Most people put the clevis in a vise and cold chisel the welds off pretty easily. I have never upgraded my pegs so I am only going by what others have posted. Looks like a pretty easy mod. Some tap for the new threads and also put a nut on the back side. Others have just drilled and put the new bolts through with a nut on the back side. Either way is evidently the fix to weak OEM stud/bolts.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Back2-2 thanks for the follow up. My bad I didn't specify what I needed the info for!

I'm trying to fit some rest footpegs to my bike- didn't come with any when I bought it! That's why I'm looking for the bolt size to install a new clevis!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The OE clevis stud size on an air cooled T100 is 8mm , a 5/16'' is a SAE equivalent. The hole in the outrigger is only slightly larger, not 10mm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The OE clevis stud size on an air cooled T100 is 8mm , a 5/16'' is a SAE equivalent. The hole in the outrigger is only slightly larger, not 10mm.
Nice! Thank you sir! Will go ahead and order that 8mm I was looking at on eBay!! That seems to be the most common size anyway.

Cheers boys!! Will post back with results!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I did do a search and found lots of threads about the clevis breaking, which isn't confidence inspiring.. but couldn't find the info I'm looking for.
Ooh sounds painful! No one wants to end up with a broken clevis, you would probably have to be rushed to A&E for that.:sick:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Hey guys,

Does anyone know the size of the bolt that would be equivalent to what's on the stock clevis? I've found some m8 ones online and wondering if they'll fit.

Thanks in advance!
just to be clear about this. it's the riders peg M8 bolt that fastens the clevis to the frame that breaks, not the clevis itself breaking
usually caused by a mishap like a low speed spill in the parking lot or such that initiates the break.

it is important that the clevis bolts are kept tight as any looseness will allow all of the load to be taken up by the bolt and not shared by the mating clevis and frame as it should when the bolt is kept tight.

the best fix in my opinion is to get a couple of 3/8 capscrews preferably with a fine UNF thread but a coarse UNC will do. 3/8 is a shade under 10mm (9.5mm) and will fit thru the existing holes without having to enlarge in the clevis and frame, or maybe will need a slight opening use a 9.5mm drill

the heads of the capscrews will need to be ground down by about 1.5 - 2mm to fit. or if you can get them use low head capscrews.
capscrews have a strength of 12.9MPa, about as strong as bolts can get and by going up 1.5mm in diameter makes an enormous gain in strength. for example 3/8 capscrews have a shear of 12,600 pounds, 8mm 8,800 pounds, according to the Unbrako catalogue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts