Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a rather badly damaged 2001 Sprint. Without going into details (I'll tell that story someday) the front end is mashed and most of the fairing is toast. But there are many good parts still on the bike.

Last summer I bought a brand new '06 (non-ABS) that had been sitting in the dealer's lot for 2 years. Full warranty and a heck of a deal ($7500 including the 500 mile service). Honestly I actually like the '01 better, but I'm reasonably happy w/ the new one, though I bought a Corbin seat w/ backrest for my babe and intend to do something about the handlebar position.

After about 2k miles the rear tire on the new bike was punctured. To expedite getting back on the road I swapped on the old Sprint rim and tire (only 1200 miles on a new Michelin Road Pilot). That was so easy and besides the better rubber, I actually like the 3 spoke silver rims, which I think look better on my silver bike than the stock black ones. Now I'm wondering if I can/should switch out the front one so the rims match, or swap the rear tire back to the original black rim.

Any thoughts on whether it's advisable, and if so, how easy it would be to swap the fronts? And would it make sense to consider having tires ready on the spare rims for either different riding conditions and/or as backups in case another one goes flat?

Can anyone tell me which parts from the '01 I can salvage for spares before I part it out? I think I've ditched the idea of rebuilding it as a naked bike, though I could probably be convinced otherwise!

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hank

·
Registered
27 Posts
Even if you don't salvage the parts for the other bike, take a look at eBay... There is always a market for used Triumph parts. I have had really good luck funding my next upgrade thru the sale of the old parts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
this may upset some sprint purist but i have been thinkng of changing the undr seat exhaust to a low mount one like the early sprints on my 06 so would be interested to hear if the exhaust could be interchanged. then make the space under the seat into a storage area and a one off under tail tidy,

·
Registered
297 Posts
this may upset some sprint purist but i have been thinkng of changing the undr seat exhaust to a low mount one like the early sprints on my 06 so would be interested to hear if the exhaust could be interchanged. then make the space under the seat into a storage area and a one off under tail tidy,
Aw-aw.. No you didn't..

Bring out the torches....

j/k.. lets see pictures when you are done. It has been done before. I've seen it around. Looks cool..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts