Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just got my 08 ST3 today and I'm trying to be legit and keep it off the street until I get my insurance and registration on Monday. We'll see how that turns out. ;) In the meantime I was taking a look at the different addons I should get for protecting my new baby at low speeds (obviously high speed accidents are going to damage something).

What I'm basically asking is should I be looking for anything beyond dual-bolt frame sliders, rear axle sliders, and a crankcase guard? Is there something else I am missing? I could test what hits the ground by knocking my bike over but that ain't gonna happen :D

So is there something else I should be looking at? I've dropped a bike (with fairings, though) before and after the initial shock that "punched in the gut" feeling is terrible. I'd prefer not to have to go through that with this bike.:)

Thanks!

Oh, also as a side note, the triple doesn't lean over as much when on its kickstand as my last bike (a ninja 250) did. I feel like it's less stable this way. Am I just being paranoid?

·
Registered
215 Posts
GB Racing sells a complete set of frame sliders / engine covers that works well. At least they've worked when I've needed them to.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I don't like a bike leaning over too much cos the sidestand will sink in hot pavement and the bike will fall over. The Triumph sidestand is just right but position your bike in the right place. Btw a few drops of oil on the sidestand pivot makes it snap up and down nicely. - Wayne :) (be sure to get a protection cover for the alternator on the left side)

·
Registered
572 Posts
As I use mine for commuting which includes a fair bit of filtering through very congested traffic I've gone for what might be the ugliest option - the SW-werks crash bars. Very effective, and good if you need to bounce off a car that's moving out of its position.

I don't like sidestands, because of the sinking problem (as well as roadside repairs) but I don't think the centre stand fits with the belly pan. Carry a small piece of plywood or metal about 2" square and put that under the foot of the stand any time you have to park on something that isn't concrete. Mine fixes on top of the instruments, hidden by the fly screen and secured with a piece of Velcro. A Velcro strap carried wrapped around the bars wraps around the brake lever to stop any movement of the bike. I very rarely feel the need to use either, but it's reassuring to have them available, and the strap makes it easier to get the bike on to its rear stand in the garage.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts