Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
121 - 140 of 198 Posts
Well after a little bit a questioning I was told that a T509 header was a direct swap to the Sprints....just need to have a mid-pipe made for it?.

Anyone else know anything of this would like to know for sure before i go and buy some useless headers.

Rear Shock for Classic Triples

I dropped a rear shock from a 1994 Kawasaki ZX7 into my 1996 Adventurer with no mods required at all. The upper bolt bushing was the same size, the bottom clevis width and hole diameters matched the Triumph unit exactly, and the top bolt bushing is also the same width as the Triumph unit. The ZX7 shock has no external reservoir to deal with, is fully rebuildable, and has adjustable rebound damping. The shock is 1/2" longer than the OEM Triumph shock, so the rear of the bike is raised slightly. The spring rate on the ZX7 shock was perfect for my Adventurer and the ride is much more plush.
Mine cost less than $25 including shipping. How can you beat that??

I have a 94ZX600 shock in my garage that looks like a slightly longer replacement for the stock T bird spring. I was going to try to find a ZX11 spring to put on it to stiffen it and bolt that in. That would be a lot easier than changing my swing arm and dog bones to swap over to the 95 Daytona shock I have.

I have a 94ZX600 shock in my garage that looks like a slightly longer replacement for the stock T bird spring. I was going to try to find a ZX11 spring to put on it to stiffen it and bolt that in. That would be a lot easier than changing my swing arm and dog bones to swap over to the 95 Daytona shock I have.
I would try it just the way it is. The spring rate might be close enough. If not, if you are handy with a lathe, you might be able to use the stock Triumph spring on the ZX shock. It is shorter but it looked like the OD/ID were close to the ZX spring.

oil filter part numbers

I work as a fleet equipment mechanic and have been useing Napa filters for the last 15 years with great result. I have two part numbers for filters that I use on my Thunderbird and Thruxton. The oil filter number for the Thunderbird is PS4941 it comes with all of the orings and sells for about $5.00 . I have compared them with K&N filters ,the quality is the same. The second part number is for My thruxton . It is part number 1358. If you have a local part store that sells WIX filters you can add a number 5 to the part number. 51358.

Cheers Tim

Oil seal sizes

I try to measure parts when I have them, so I can find substitutes if the OEM versions aren't available. I encourage others to do the same and post what they come up with.

Today I got two oil seals for my Legend:

3600008-T0301 sprocket cover oil seal
markings: NAK TC 12 22 7 17
NAK is the brand. 12 22 7 are the dimensions
TC is the style: two lips with spring

3600012-T0301 clutch pushrod oil seal
markings: SOG 111469 8 16 6 2
8 16 6 are the dimensions
it's also two lips with a spring

It would also be nice for people to scan any new gaskets they buy, and post the scans. It's pretty easy to cut out a new gasket if you have a template.

-jimc

Hmm.... I just bought a full set of gaskets for the 885cc carb bikes, & I really do wish I had scanned the last gasket set I bought....

Cheers,
-Kit

I suspect the seals on the 885 rears will interchange with the front seals from Honda CBR600 F2 & F3 models, but I've had too much going on to actually go through with the rebuild. There's another bike that takes seals that ought to swap, but Honda's prices were lower by a lot.

Cheers,
-Kit

Trophy Clocks & Coolant Temp Gauge on 98 Tbird

Due to a misreading Tacho, I replaced the Clocks on my 98 Thunderbird with a used Trophy set, with the added bonus of getting a coolant temperature gauge.

The high temperature warning light switch, top left of cylinder head can simply be replaced with one from an auto shop. The resistance range of most all these 'thermistor' type sensors is similar, well within the the display range of the gauge. (Both sender & 'moving iron' type gauge have complimentary non-lineararity.) But make sure you get a straight thread type, not tapered & use a washer per the stock switch. It doesn't have a degree scale, but will usefully show if things change from 'normal'. So far I've noted that the reading on mine is very steady under a wide range of riding conditions = good cooling system design from Triumph. Only when stuck at idle for while will the reading change much from about 1/3 of full scale on mine. Of course, the warning light function will no longer work as the circuit/wiring is now used for the gauge.

The connector from the Trophy clocks plugs straight in stock loom connector & all works straight off, except that the Trophy side-stand warning light will show continuously. Tbird doesn't have this function, so just remove the bulb.

Note the speedo under reads by ~ 5% due difference in wheel/tyre size (thanks, provider of gearing calulator!), tho' as most speedos over read (the manufacturer tolerance spec. is +10%) this brings it back to about spot on !

An ebay bargain !

Locking Tank Cap for Thunderbird

I've just fitted the Locking Tank Cap for Bonnevilles etc. sold by bellacorse.com for the very reasonable price of $19-95

It needed a small mod, (SEE WARNING BELOW) reducing the height of the air breather pipe that sticks up inside the cap recess. I measured 4.5mm with those wonderful digital calipers we have these days :), so marked & drilled 5mm to be sure, to be sure (as we say hereabouts). All good.

WARNING!! Fuel Vapours are EXPLOSIVE !!
Doing any work on a fuel tank can be lethally dangerous if it is not COMPLETELY CLEANED beforehand of FUEL & ANY REMAINING VAPOURS.

That said, I decided to live a little dangerously & do it in situ, stuffing the filler orifice (I had only small amount of fuel) with rags & placing bike in very well ventilated location. The temperature here was also low < 10degC. Drilled slowly & very carefully. It's easy enough to remove the swarf with the rags - do not EVEN THINK of using a powered vacuum or such. (Pulling fuel vapours into a sparking motor..!!)

Otherwise a straightforward mod.

Steering head bearings - Thunderbirds

Hi all,

A replacement steering head bearing for a TBS (and assuming a TB as well) can be picked up at local bearing supply stores for a fraction of the Triumph re-boxed cost (this is the EXACT bearing used by Triumph, NOT a substitute). The part is a commonly available 30mm tapered roller bearing by KOYO. The KOYO part number is 32006JR. The Seal under the bearing is also a KOYO part, number 32006JRRS-2.

OEM bearing = $46 CDN

Local replacement = $15 CDN

Seems to be a no brainer!

Adjustable TBS (and Thunderbird lever)

I just installed the master cylinder from a 1998 Kawi 600 sport bike (front). Fit, though it is a 5/8" bore v 1/2".

Best part, the 5 position lever assembly (including the adapter needed) is interchangeable with the TBS unit.

Brake disc interchangabiity.

I have a 96 Adventure that has a warped front disc. With all the great research that has been done on parts, is there a compatable/interchangable disc that can be used or must I replace it with one for the adventure?
Thanks to all of you for the great information that you've provided.

121 - 140 of 198 Posts