Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've literally just put my 78 tiger away in the garage after my first 'big' ride, a ride of 250miles (Derby to London and back) not wanting to sit on the motorway I did this ride with a mixture of A Roads and motorway. The bike didn't miss a beat, returned over 60mpg, ticked over perfectly whenever stationary and for the most of it I was physically comfortable, even when it rained!

I can't however say my comfort spread to my mental state! Am I the only person riding around constantly listening for subtlel changes to the engines sound, vibration, feel etc I have owned the bike for 8 months, I honed the bores, fitted new rings and rebuilt the head with new valves, springs and guides so I know that's all good and also fitted an external oil filter. The big and little ends were spot on and the mains felt perfect yet I am finding it hard to relax and forget about the motor and enjoy the ride. It's the first old triumph I've owned and I like many people was subjected to the constant misinformation about how bad 750 triumph twins were.

Does anyone have any stratagies or reassurance about the bikes capabilities and design to overcome these feelings or does it pass the more you ride the bike?

On another note completely I'm a big fan of clean cool oil and have been considering an oil cooler, I like one that blends into the style of the bike, anyone reccommend one?

·
Premium Member
9,890 Posts
Hyde do one that sits between the downtubes (aka "the bog brush")
or a Trident one sitting higher up would do.

I'm not convinced by them as the general opinion at the time was that, yes, they ran hot, but they were tested in a desert somewhere.

I do a lot of short runs which is bad enough for an engine, but unless I could fit a bypass with a thermostat, I will stay as I am

you never stop listening for weird noises

·
Registered
914 Posts
Clean oil is good, cool oil is bad especially in the UK where the air temp is always cold.

Just enjoy your bike and try not to worry.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Clean oil is good, cool oil is bad especially in the UK where the air temp is always cold.

Just enjoy your bike and try not to worry.
This is very true, as a matter of fact when the cooler fall weather hits new England 5 (55-65 f) I block of the oil cooler in my T-150. Here's a trick. After a long enough ride where you know the engine is well up to temp. Check the oil temp in the tank (or frame) with one of those electronic meat forks. I realise it will read lower than the sump but not by much. The highest I've seen is around 210f and that in Norton with no oil cooler. (note, wipe off the meat fork so your roast beef doesn't taste like Castrol and don't tell your wife!)

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I don't think T140s need oil coolers for use in this country (maybe if you lived in Spain an oil cooler might be useful). The Hyde coolers do look very much like bog brushes. No idea how good they are, but they do come with a thermostat (or maybe they don't come with one, but one is available as an extra).

"Should it be making that noise?" paranoia: you'll probably get used to it after a while, depending on how often you ride your bike. If rarely, you'll probably always experience it, but if frequently I expect it will fade away. Just avoid smoking grass before riding. You'll hear every moving part trying to break its way out of the engine if you do (or so I seem to recall from a long time ago!)

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Quote: "I can't however say my comfort spread to my mental state! Am I the only person riding around constantly listening for subtlel changes to the engines sound,

Does anyone have any stratagies or reassurance about the bikes capabilities and design to overcome these feelings or does it pass the more you ride the bike?"

EAR PLUGS.......

They've always worked for the "village idiot"; makes a ride a lot more enjoyable and less nerve-wracking: Jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
tommytiger cheers from calif. i know what your saying about the noise of a triumph twin,seems like something is ready to let loose at any time. ive put many thousands of miles on mine and it never left me stranded. as for oil temps ,your oil needs to reach at least 180f to kick in the friction modifiers and to burn away any moisture from combustion.in fact i took a 30 mile ride yesterday avg 60mph with temps near 100f and my oil checked with a food thermometer was only 145f,very pleased

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Does anyone have any stratagies or reassurance about the bikes capabilities and design to overcome these feelings or does it pass the more you ride the bike?
:confused: I'm not sure if there is a section in this Triumph forum for "feelings". I've never seen one in the "Classic and Vintage" section. You might try the modern Triumph sections though. I understand those riders tend to be more "sensitive".

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Tommy,

If you always ride in relatively cool temperatures and are never stuck in traffic, you will probably be fine just using high-quality oil and changing it relatively frequently. When I raced my Norton, I felt an oil cooler was essential. One of the few sources of actual relevant measurements on the subject (versus opinions) can be found here (http://www.nortonclub.com/docs/OilTemp.pdf). Note that oil coolers do not lower oil temperatures as much as you might think.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for the advice chaps.

I knew I'd get stick for this post!! I just wanted to know if I was the only person expecting my bike to blow up every time I took it above 5000rpm!

Interesting to hear peoples opinions on oil coolers, I checked the temp of the oil after a fast blast back from work tonight and it was only 60deg c (140deg f) which seems very cool so I think I agree with the general consensus that they are a waste of time in this country.

Incidently I wore ear plugs today, they took all that top end rattle away......................it just wasn't the same!! so I'll stop stressing about the bike and just ride it!

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Incidently I wore ear plugs today, they took all that top end rattle away......................it just wasn't the same!! so I'll stop stressing about the bike and just ride it!

If you ride your bike daily your ear will quickly tune to the subtle differences the bike will emit depending on ambient temperature and weather conditions as well as the bike's temperature. Also, your bike will sound different as bolts, fasteners and parts loosen as well as when carbs need to be tweaked and parts wear. Your bike will actually feel different as well. It's all rather interesting and a large part of the difference and bonus of riding a vintage Triumph. ;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Since the rebuild and up grading of my TR7RV's engine, it run's hotter then normal with the larger piston's, cam's, etc, so at that time I added a tall thin oil cooler between the front rails attached to the motor mount, nice and neat - barely noticeable, I live in western Mass and ride most of the year, I don't put the bike away just because the weather gets bad, snow and ice - that's different.
Anyways, because it run's hotter, an oil cooler - even if it lowers the temp down by just 2 - 5 degree's would be of help, and I've never had to block it off for cold weather riding, when it gets cold out the only thing the bike does different is it rev's higher, and that I suspect has more to do with air temp and carboration then anything else.

Bill G.

An Irishman on a Limey

·
Registered
874 Posts
I met a guy recently on a 750 Bonnie, he had a cooler with a manual bypass, looked neat, make unknown ....

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I always wear ear plugs and on the very occasional times I forget to pop them in after a break my Norton instantly sounds like it is self distructing. As a matter of fact my more modern Hinkly's sound a little scary too.

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
As is generally said on this thread,you dont need a cooler.measure your oil temp and it will be low compared with engine temp.The frame is a giant oil cooler.On my 750 bored T120r,i can put my finger in the oil after a run with no burning.Oil needs to run fairly hot.More important is quality of oil and frequent changes.I am quite happy running at 5000 rpm,that is not high for a Triumph twin.Have a look at my youtube channel and see mine running at 6000 rpm mrstupid is the user name.You can also see it in HD on another channel,type a search for speedy 006

1 - 18 of 18 Posts