Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and salutations from the Wolfman!!!!. To all you guys across the pond, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Guys, I am thinking of getting some panniers for the Bonnie, leather ones are`nt much use for the weather here in blighty so I was wondering what would hard shell panniers look like, do not want to look like a PRATT; Does anyone have some fitted or know of someone that has? If so a photo would be good.
Wolfman

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hard bags for Bonnie

Go to Leatherlyke.com. They make an 18 quart capacity (each bag) set of pretty OK looking panniers.
We had a set on another bike. They are lockable, watertight, easily removed without tools, and the mounts that remain on the bike are simply a couple of studs with holes in them for the hitch clips which hold the bags on.
Under $500 USD with all mounting hardware. Plain and fringe/conchos versions available.
Bob

Greetings and salutations from the Wolfman!!!!. To all you guys across the pond, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Guys, I am thinking of getting some panniers for the Bonnie, leather ones are`nt much use for the weather here in blighty so I was wondering what would hard shell panniers look like, do not want to look like a PRATT; Does anyone have some fitted or know of someone that has? If so a photo would be good.
Wolfman

·
30,296 Posts
Hey wolfman,

you should have a scan through our picture threads, there are quite a few bikes in there with panniers on - you might see something that you like, then you can PM the poster of the pic and get details.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Similar subject (and I hope not perceived as a thread jack). I've always had bags on most of my bikes and giving some serious consideration to the Triumph fabric saddlebags - I commute on my bike and growing weary of the backpack (for the last month now).

I don't need a ton of capacity, just some space to throw a few things once in a while (plus carry other stuff, like, say, tools). My personal taste does not run the leather/leather-like gammut (although they do look great on some of your bikes), and was wondering if any of you had the OEM fabric, like them, dislike them, etc. Alternatives?

I did run a search and looked at some of the albums, not much luck on these. I even bookmarked that great thread with all the saddlebag images sometime back.

It would seem that all the vendors use the exact same image as well.

Just curious, might even pick them up this weekend if I can.

Thanks!

·
Driftless Admin
11,913 Posts
I've always had bags on most of my bikes and giving some serious consideration to the Triumph fabric saddlebags - I commute on my bike and growing weary of the backpack (for the last month now).
I was in the same boat, tired of the backpack and strapping/unstrapping it to the seat. I bought the Triumph fabric bags and love them. They're too small for long trips, but great for day-to-day and to replace a backpack. They come with nice braces to keep the bag out of the spokes and are easy to install.

Not the cheapest way to go, but I like them.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
If you buy triumph bags buy the fabric,the leather triumph are no good there not real leather mine lasted only a year .

·
Registered
445 Posts
Cortech Sport Bags

I think the Cortech Sport Bags look pretty good with our bikes if you're not shooting for a "period piece." I use the Cortech Sport tail bag and will pick up the saddle bags when a mucho-gear-required journey necessitates the need.

Now, if I could only find some brackets to keep them off anything they might get into...

·
30,296 Posts
I have the Triumph City bags - VERY expensive, but I like them. You can't get a lot in them though. I don't like the other triumph "leather" bags, but the fabric ones are quite good. If you're going for fabric ones though, get the Cortech ones, I have those and the tail bag - they are excellent, and I think they suit the bike well enough. Good gear. Of course - I have the city bag pannier rails on my bike, and they work well to hold the cortech bags off the wheels / suspension, when I'm using those.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I also have the Cortech bags and Sport tailpack. If you buy the MC Resources underseat bracket from New Bonneville (http://www.newbonneville.com/html/luggage_brackets.html) you can easily bolt another piece to the bracket to keep bags where they need to be. I used 1 1/2 inch aluminum angle iron and it works great and is also lightweight. The bracket bolts off and on in 2 minutes. MC Resources is making a complete saddlebag bracket, but I believe it is still in development.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Luggage Brackets

If you buy the MC Resources underseat bracket from New Bonneville (http://www.newbonneville.com/html/luggage_brackets.html) you can easily bolt another piece to the bracket to keep bags where they need to be.

Been checking New Bonneville's site for luggage brackets for awhile. They've been out of stock for some time:mad: Anybody else know of a source for luggage brackets at a reasonable price? I don't need the Triumph brand panniers just to get the brackets, I've got a set of panniers I like from another bike I owned in the past. Just need some brackets. Haaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllpppppppppp:confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
brackets

Can't answer your question on where a good set can be found, because I couldn't either. The ones at NB won't be restocked. The manufactor is redesigning them to be beefier and better...and more expensive. The old ones, as nice as they were, had a habit of breaking the weld at the bolt eye when heavy bags put some stress on them. I got one replaced, thankfully, but the word from MC Resources is wait on the new ones for more. Thy're good guys and I hope the new ones come around soon.
http://mcresourcesusa.com/index.html

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
www.newbonneville.com has the Hepco Beckers for about 460.00USD for the set . With shipping to the UK it might set you ro about or a tad over 500USD

You might want to check out Givi as well.

As for soft bags Oxford , Cortech , and even Dowco are good .

I saw the citybags from Triumph and for what they are they're very pricey . At tops they'll fit a laptop compter and a few small items and that's about it .

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
panniers

Don't know if you are interested in leather pannniers but the Royal Enfield catalog has some beautiful brown and black leather panniers that look very nice. Mounting may be an issue but generally leather panniers are pretty flexible in mounting situations.

http://www.royalenfield.com/

·
Registered
282 Posts
If your wanting hard side panniers the only options are Hepco Becker or Givi. I have Hepco Becker Junior 40l side and top case on my Bonne . They make a 30l size but I needed a little more storage and I can fit a full size helmet in the side cases and its locked up and secure. I've only seen the Givi cases at dealers showrooms but they seem to be well made. The only brackets available for the Bonneville and Givi cases is from Norman Hyde. Hepco Becker make a bracket for the Bonne which will they say will hold any of their cases. I've taken some long trips on the bike using throw over bags. I didn't care much for not being able to lock everything up. Parking where you can keep on eye on things isn't always possible.

·
30,296 Posts
If all you want is side rails to keep soft bags away from the wheels / suspension and whatnnot, you can buy the triumph rails on their own. I forget the part number. Just talk to your dealer. Not the cheapest solution, but they look allright, and are a piece of cake to install. They're not well set up for mounting hard luggage to though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have used the leatherlyke:

Good points:
easy on / off the bike
weather proof
has a lock in the top
bracket doesn't look too bad when the bags are off
has a helmet lock feature - nice
don't have to relocate turn signals
fast order processing time

Bad Points:
front edge rests against the shock - some people don't like that
lock isn't high security - but works
not as big as some bags

I like them. The larger bags are known to crack at the mounting points - I think this is because with the larger size it puts more stress on the mounts. There are threads on the internet about it, and about modifying them with metal to improve the mounting. I have had 3 bikes with these things on them, and never had a problem. The ones for the bonneville are the medium "cruiser" bags. Now - you can fill these things up with a 6 pack of beer in each side, a bunch of apples, and other groceries - and have no problem (I sometimes exceed the 20lb limit they list). They aren't big enough for a laptop (well, barely). They look nice. They are easy to mount and dismount.

The plastic is a formed plastic - it's not as heavy duty as GIVI luggage. Certainly not as heavy duty as a pelican case. If you are doing ADV type riding - skip these bags. (NOTE - I have seen bikes tip over onto these bags, and the bags protected the bike - so don't think that they are "flimsy" - they just aren't as heavy duty as a pelican case).

If you ride around town, to and from work - the occasional weekend trip, and have a nice tail bag already - get these bags. good for storing clothes, anything you want to keep dry. The ones for the bonneville aren't big enough to overload. I use them for storing clothes for work, work shoes, toolkit, and strap the laptop bag to the seat.

The bracket, when the bags are off, makes a convenient spot to attach bungee straps / netting.

NOTE: You have to have the optional luggage grab rail from triumph - leatherlyke bracket uses this rail to mount - so figure having to buy a chrome lower grab rail to mount them.

With these bags, and a medium motofizz bag (thing that aerostich sells)- you could pack a LOT of gear. Motofizz bags are my favorite, most versatile tailbag yet! (not waterproof though - they come with a rain cover)

If I can quit being lazy, I'll take a few pictures (right now "lazy" means I am rebuilding the front suspension of a tiger I bought....).

Never used the Hepco bags - but don't you also have to get the $390 mounting kit - bringing the total price to $900?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Got mine set up with a Rentec carrier with Givi plate and top box, plus Norman Hyde side frames and again Givi panniers:

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I've also used one of the City Bags for commuting. Look great, don't hold much. Currently, I'm using an inexpensive set of Dowco bags that didn't look right on the Bonnie until I mounted the Corbin seat. I think the lines of the bags and seat are complementary:

I'm using the Triumph luggage brackets ("pannier rails" in factory nomenclature). I have a set of the brackets that New Bonneville used to sell, but haven't used them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had made a set of frames which allowed me to fit BMW R1200C cases. I use the 22 litre version but they do 37 litre size also. Mine fit without relocating indicators. They remove easily and lock to the frame. I can get more made if anyone is interested. Tim Angus 07980 592911

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts