Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made up some pannier supports to keep my throw-over panniers in place. I used a couple of pieces of aluminium chequerplate. They can't be seen when the panniers are in place but when they are off they look like this:

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Very nice Bins!

Man, you guys are creative and skillful... sigh.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Hey, Binnsy: Look really nice and they look like they belong there -- unlike my OEM Triumph pannier rails that look like chrome coathangers when the panniers are off.

When you say "throwover" do you mean over the seat, or under it, as I do with my so-called "throwover" saddle bags? If you mean over the seat, how do they stay on the bike without a sissy bar? Do you tie them down?

In any case, good work.

Monte :cool:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2006-12-12 16:13, mecscc wrote:

When you say "throwover" do you mean over the seat, or under it, as I do with my so-called "throwover" saddle bags? If you mean over the seat, how do they stay on the bike without a sissy bar? Do you tie them down?

Monte,
They are the type of bag with a leather panel holding them together, which I put under the seat. They have a strap that can run behind the supports so there is no movement of the bags when travelling at 180kph, oops I mean the speed limit of course.

Thanks for the comments guys, I value you opinions. If you said they look like carp, I would have started again.... :( :-D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Binnsy. Those are some way cool supports.
They look good on your speed master.

Keef did a similar thing on his bonnie.

Thanks for sharing.
Jeff :cool:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Thanks, Binnsy for the info. I put my saddle bags UNDER the seat also on the Bonnie which makes them not truly "throwover," if that means easily portable. Those bags have an adjustable yoke that is tied with laces.

I have two other sets of "throwover" bags from Willie and Max that are literally "throwover" with a solid leather yoke that are designed to throw OVER the top of the seat and be taken off whenever you want, even to take them inside if you stop at a cafe for lunch, etc. Obviously, if you had to strap them down to keep them in place you lose a lot of the advantages of that portability.

I have solved that by using them on Sue's bike and on the nighthawk - both have sissy bars - and putting a little weight (old wrenches) in the bottoms of the bags. They don't move around at all with the weight in them, even at (oops!) speeds substantially above the limit. These bags are pretty old and I haven't seen any modern equivalent bags offered anymore. Actually it is a good idea when you don't want to leave the bags on the bike with something valuable in them. My new W&M bags are zip off and can be carried in also, but it is more awkward to get them off.

Anyway, I like what you have done with your fabricated supports.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.