Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Just got my Triunph Sprint ST and on the off chance does anyone in the UK have a set of Pannier fixings that would like to sell?

Thanks

Malc

·
Premium Member
24,385 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the forum maceym:)

Don and I ask all new members to please read our forum stickies, there are some rules that other web sites do not have.:)

Please read the sticky about buying and selling.

Enjoy the forum

DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
More info....

Hi.

Welcome to the forum (top site!).

What flavour of ST are you trying to get rails for

a. the curvyer 955i '04 and earlier

or

b. More angular 1050 05 onwards?

Rexx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apologies for the ad!

Hi,

Sorry for the request to buy, wont happen again :eek: but a bit of desperation!!

Love the bike but Triumph seem to be a little on the expensive side for parts, it seems like they are gold plated rails.

Couldnt stretch to a later one with panniers fitted so had to settle for a low milage 05 model and thought get some boxes off ebay, which i did and then get the rails but what a shock on the price!

Still will keep searching and something will come up.

Good forum and been useful so far with the scot oiler and intercom info, been most useful.

Apologies again

Malc

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
maceym,
No need to apologize. Welcome to the forum. Maybe update your profile so people can see what year Sprint you ride and what your general location is.

Cheers

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi Macey welcome,

I spent some time in Southsea @ portsmouth Uni and i regularly go down there as my GF is still studying there. Down there this weekend as it stands.

I have the rails fitted to my bike, but I have wondered how hard it would be to get a metal fabricator to make some then they could be sprayed black. I don't really like the idea of them being plastic.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Nothing simple about pannier kits

maceym,

There is a lot of 'stuff' in the pannier hardware kits. I've posted here several times that buying pre-owned bags or hardware off eBay (or anywhere else) is hazardous.

Most folks, unless they have an unopened box, have no idea how much work is involved and how many bits are in the kit.

If the PO bought the bike with the bags already installed, they'll likely not realize what was done. They will also (in most cases) not have the parts that came off the bike when the kit was installed.

Same goes for the rear luggage rack.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Rack Kit

that's certainly true of the 04 and earlier, poshr0d, but I thought the 05 on had much simpler rails, with the rod with balls on the end being the only extra bit on the bike apart from the rails themselves?

Rexx

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
RP,

It's been a while, but I remember installing a kit on a buddy's '05. At one point, we had the whole ass-end of his bike disassembled. And we were following the instructions carefully.

I believe you are correct, that the '05 and later kits have fewer parts, but my point remains valid: If you buy an opened 'kit', you probably don't get all the bits you need.

For example, how many people know that the pannier kits came with stubby turn signals? The 99-04 kits did. IIRC, so do the new kits. I've seen boxes full of the longer ones sitting in a corner at dealerships. The ones off my bike are on a friends' '79 T140.

If anyone cares, I have the parts info to get the pannier hardware for the 99 - 04 bikes from Triumph. Let me warn you; it ain't pretty.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Fitting Instructions

and if you go to

http://www.triumphnet.com/

and select FAQ from the 99-04 menu, and then

Modifications (one from bottom on main screen)

Accessory Installation Tips

Top Rack/ 2 box

You will get to the Dealer instructions and guidance from another frustrated soul.

PushrOd, I think we are talking the same issue (just different dates). As far as the UK goes, the official change of model was 04 - last year of 955, and 05 first year of 1050. I don't tend to go by registration date and have seen a couple of references to 05 955s!

I've not found anything on the web that lists the pannier kit for the new model ;) yet, but hey why would I!

Rexx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts