Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Had this problem recently:

As i was riding instrument panel and speedo lights went off , then kept flashing on and off, fan didnt kick in at 103dgrs and temp kept rising to about 107 until i parked. After switching off and on again bike didnt start. I went to work and by the end of the day the bike started, but very roughly, riding home didnt have any problems and the next day no problems either...I do ride in heavy traffic while commuting.
Had this problem before so i replaced the battery and the R/R about a month before and also flushed the cooland and put motul coolant on. The new R/R was 50pounds on ebay and it was a bit smaller than the original one.

Could this be i bought a poor R/R thats acting up already?
Or some other problem?
Hope someone can help.
Many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Your profile says 01 reg, but seems like it must be 02 Model? You might want to redefine it, otherwise will get confusing. If you have digital instruments and the next generation motor (with separate stator and R/R vs the integrated automotive alternator) definitely 02 model.
Instrument going out is first indication of low voltage due to charging system issues.
You probably either have R/R or Stator problem - check out the diagnostic thread in the stickies in the S3 subforum
Be sure to check your interconnects also - connections have to be stellar on these high current circuits. There is one stator connector up by the top left rear corner of the cam cover that sometimes burns - also, from that connector to the R/R connector, the original cable should have been replaced by a new separate cable under recall - the replacement is heavier duty wire gauge compared to the original which was part of the loom. Be sure that was done (check your Vin # under the Triumph recall page)

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Do you know how to test the R/R while the engine is running? Simply meter the battery voltage at rest with a fully charged battery and then while idling and also at 5Krpm. I don't know the specs for your bike, but many R/Rs provide voltages in the 13.5-15V range at 5Krpm. At idle the voltage should be at least 13+V. Doesn't your '01 have an automotive style alternator with an integrated R/R?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for the replies

Seems it is a 02 model reg in late 01 as it says on the log book. Sorry for the confusion ;)

I did my battery readings this morning:

Bat. disconnected from bike - 12.37 , 12.38
Bat. connected. ignition off - 12.37 , 12.38
Ignition on, lights off - 12.14 , 12.13 and droping steadily
Ignition on, lights on - 11.65 and droping steadily
Bike running at idle, lights off - 14.65
Bike running at idle, lights on - 12.80 , 12.90
At 4k rpm+ 14.30

Fan kicks in at 103degrees and voltage drops progressively to 11.97
Fan off at 101degrees voltage goes to 12.45

I did replace my R/R about a month ago with an after market one ,that was by the way smaller in size than the stock, i didnt take readings with the old one but i had the same problems and decided to replace it along with the battery.
I will check all the connectors as DEcosse sugests but with these readings doesnt seem to be anything wrong with R/R or battery right?
Cheers to all

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
One other voltage reading you could take is while cranking the engine. The voltage shouldn't drop below high 10s. The voltage drop when lights are turned on seems rather large to me, but DEcosse could chime in on that. The R/R does seem to be working okay. Was the battery fully charged using a charger when you took these measurements? Did you replace the R/R with a MOSFET type, having part # starting with a FH vs a SH?

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Bike running at idle, lights on - 12.80 , 12.90
At 4k rpm+ 14.30 ...
You don't specify the last reading, whether with lights on or off?
I'm presuming 'off' - please confirm?
Same for fan ......
Incidentally measurements with lights off not worth much as you are removing substantial load from the system and even one with a failed phase (whether stator or R/R) will be able to deal with that.

Battery is a bit low, but that is probably a consequence of the charging system.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that the 955 would use a R/R with only a 30A rating. I don't know the oem spec, just seems low, maybe not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will do the readings again and report back to be 100% sure, as well as my idle.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
duarte, Here are the readings from my '04:
-Five days sitting idle 12.39VDC (key off)
-Key on/Engine off 11.79VDC
-Cranking (sidestand down and in gear) 10.79VDC
-Idle 13.73VDC
-To 4K RM 13.55VDC

Same battery after full charge:
-Charged battery 12.70VDC (key off)
-Key on/Engine off 11.85VDC
-Cranking 10.80VDC
-Idle 13.75VDC
-To 4K 13.50VDC

All readings with the headlamps on except for cranking test where the headlamps should turn off automatically when start button is depressed. This test should be considered a worst case as the battery died a couple of weeks after the first test.

Brad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts