Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just got a quick question about painting the clear flyscreen on my scrambler, I chose to buy the clear one with the intention of throwing double sided vinyl on the inside of it for a custom look. I've since decided to do paint instead. Going with some red stripes and a white background (red and white theme on the bike) The red turns out perfect, but the white keeps showing up gray on the outside. If my understanding of how paint works, white being one of the trickier colors, it does this because most the color works it's way up to the surface of the paint (I may be wrong)

I basically have unlimited attempts at this as acetone takes the paint of easily from the smooth surface. So any advice/tricks to getting it to look right would be awesome. Also considering swapping the colors do the stripes in white (which I would probably just do in vinyl) and paint the rest red.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Could you please clear something up for me? Are you painting the inside of the screen (towards the back of the motorcycle) and seeing the white as gray from the front, or are you painting the front of the screen and the white appears as gray? Also, what paint are you using?

If you are shooting the back of the screen, I'm not sure the settling pigments of white would cause what you describe. It almost sounds like the screen itself if tinting the white a little. One problem I see is that by painting your color coats directly onto the screen, you will not have good adhesion, and the paint will peel/flake in the future.

If you didn't do this, have you though about painting the front of the screen with your tritone pattern? That way, you could prime the screen with the appropriate bonding agent (like Bulldog primer), shoot your color (whether base coat clear coat or spray can enamel), and then shoot clear over that to give it some protection from the elements. You could even shoot the back a solid color to finish off that side.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I second the question what kind of paint are you using? For a plastic screen, the only paint I'd consider using would be the Krylon Fusion stuff, which is formulated for plastic surfaces. Otherwise, if you're using other paint, your LAPS should have some of the clear plastic adhesion promoter.

I don't think pigment settling is causing any issues. I think it's more the "swimming pool" effect. Consider it this way, when you look into a pool, it's all the same water, but depending on the light, the 3' part sometimes looks lighter than the 8' section. Could be the plastic resin, even though it's clear, has a little bit of coloration to it. If you take a piece of printer paper and put half the sheet behind the screen, does the color of the paper behind the screen look darker/greyer?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, yeah sorry I wasn't very clear. I am painting the inside of the screen (facing the bike) I am also using plastic enamel paints (picked up a local hobby shop) What you're saying about the screen having the water effect is probably right. I haven't tested the paper idea out. But I think I will go ahead and paint the front of the screen shoot clear over it and call it a day. Should also allow me to pull of a more intricate design. So, thanks for the advice and off to work I go.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And here is the aftermath. It's not perfect by any means. I think the red and blue should've been darker as well as the white being more of an off-white to match the bike a little better. But let me know what you guys think.

p.s. Dropped a nut for part of the windscreen and it rolled off somewhere. Hence the missing one.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Looks correct. As far as painting the 'inside' of the screen; it's 'normal' for paint to be a LITTLE transluscent, so...if you happened to paint your white stripes first, then put a darker color on behind them (painting in reverse here...), you will get a darkening effect on the white by the color behind it. The only fix: paint the white last and use it as a backer for the other colors. However, this will end up creating a lighter color shift on the other colors, so they will have to be selected a little darker than you want to get the 'final' color correct.... trial and error.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts