Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions to those that have successfully painted their header pipes and mufflers. My first question is sanding, do you have to sand the chrome completely off to bare metal. The other question is the paint has to be heat cured. Is there a time limit after painting and drying when it has to be heated? Is the finish durable?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
No, just scuff the chrome with a sander and some 120 grit paper....wipe them down good after sanding. Scuff the entire surface.

I used plasti-kote bbq paint in the summer, spray and let dry for about 1 hour, spray another light coat...and another after another hour.

Allow to sit overnight. Bolt them up and wipe all the fingerprint's off the pipes, and then fire the motor. Then youyr pipes will cure :)

Very durable, will easily last a season of riding, and should you need a touch-up just cover the area behind the pipe's with newspaper, spray, and fire the bike to bake it on.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your help. I got the pipes pretty well sanded, but now I'm waiting a bit. My brother-in-law drag races and is having his headers ceramic coated. He's getting his V8 headers coated for $200.00 inside and out for the pair. If the price is right and I can get them black I may go that route. Then all I have to paint is the mufflers.

·
Registered
827 Posts
On 2007-03-04 19:28, Loxpump wrote:
Thanks for all your help. I got the pipes pretty well sanded, but now I'm waiting a bit. My brother-in-law drag races and is having his headers ceramic coated. He's getting his V8 headers coated for $200.00 inside and out for the pair. If the price is right and I can get them black I may go that route. Then all I have to paint is the mufflers.
This would be the way to go if the price is right. I recently painted mine and went over them with the 0000 steel wool as Sweat said and they turned out great, nice satin finish.

·
Registered
204 Posts
if you have any friends with a sandblasting machine, you can get a good finish fast. that's what I did and it came up real nice.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Had my header pipes and Togas powdercoated with high heat powder coat and they look great. Total cost with exchange of header pipes (my shinny ones for blackened ones) was $150.00.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It went ok. Where the cover plate was welded over the hole is noticable up close but at least when it's back on it's in an area that shouldn't show. Still waiting to see if I paint them or do the ceramic coating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts