Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raining again,so tried a few new colors on the badges.The first pic was stripping off all the factory paint,down to the chrome,the second badge is a metalflake copper.

The 3rd one is my fave,metalflake green over the chrome.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mancha,the badges came with black inside the raised edges of the letters.I used some lacquer thinner and a toothbrush to remove the black paint,leaving chrome. I sprayed duplicolor metalflake right over the chrome then painted the bumpy background with black paint and a small brush.The paint over chrome really looks cool,very deep and reflective. The wife wants me to spray the turnsignals and forkbrace too.

[ This message was edited by: rodburner on 2006-04-15 12:47 ]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rodburner - great job! =) The green is very nice and stands out beautifully... I wonder if a tangerine orange would look okay... ?? Hmm...

I really like how Copper has his Triumph on the back of his seat white and plan to copy this. Don't know why the factory would think that the black on black would stand out on our seats!

Mike

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Oh man, you would have to go and post an idea like this ! Like i didn't have enough things to spend time playing with. Now you got me thinking about this, but i don't know what would look best. but i do have lots of pics of my bike and photoshop on my PC so it looks like i'll be doing some P'shopping to see what might look good. But i'll only paint them if i find a scheme that looks awesome. I'm thinking gold may have a place in there somewhere since there is gold pinstriping on my speedy tank. Possibly on the raised edges of the letters.

One thing i don't get tho.....those badges are cruiser badges and you have a bonnie. Did you buy those badges for change or what? by the way, i gotta think that greenish/blue looking one might look good on my neon blue tank.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mike. And Daz,my badges are like yours,"heritage" badges from Hermys.Duplicolor has a metalflake blue that would look pretty good on your bike,or even just paint the bumpy part gold to match your pinstripe.Maybe hit the "cheesegraters' while your at it. :-D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
With Rodburner's inspiration, I painted my own badges over the weekend:

Just filled in the chrome bumpy part (and the screw heads) with a brush-on primer and then black automotive touch-up paint. This is one of the few mods I've done that I immediately felt positive about. Thanks Rodburner.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anytime Mancha.Looks great. I stripped mine back to chrome a few minutes ago. Also ordered some baffles from J&P for the pipes I`m building. I`m hoping for a look similar to the Flat tracker pipes in Thruxton-up`s post. :-D

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Man, you guys are all converting from eyebrow to the cruiser type badges. Maybe you should have bought speedmasters to begin with, then you wopuld have had to order new badges ! :-D seriously tho, that looks better mancha. I looked at your bike with the badges unpainted and it definatly looks better now. I'll have to try this in photoshop and see how it'll look on mine. Might not look as good as yours tho since your tank is all black.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
On 2006-04-17 21:52, dazco wrote:

I'll have to try this in photoshop and see how it'll look on mine. Might not look as good as yours tho since your tank is all black.
How about getting some blue touch-up paint from Triumph and painting the backdrop of the badges blue? Might look odd with the black rubber grommet around the badge though. Give it a try in Photoshop and post the result.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Nice job Steve! I really like the way the chrome shows through. I'm going to have to buy some of the Duplicolor paint. Where did you find it? Is it something I could spray on with an air brush or is it in a rattle can? MAN! That looks good. :cool:

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bryan,its all rattlecan. Pep Boys and G I Joes sell it,among others. This stuff is called "Metal Specks"but they have all sorts of cool stuff,even one that glows blue at night. :-D

[ This message was edited by: rodburner on 2006-04-18 06:11 ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts