Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the painted side covers. Are they the same between Thunderbird and Legend? I am particularly interested in the left side cover with the key hole off of Thunderbird, would it fit the Legend?
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I would be surprised if they didn’t work since they really are the same bike :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked at a couple on ebay and they look the same but pictures are some times deceiving. I was also wondering if the bolt on script is dimensionally the same? I would like to put a seat latch with key lock on my bike.

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
I'm doing the same thing. I'm planning to drill a hole in the Legend cover. I made a plaster cast from my TBS that I hope will put the hole in the right spot. Unfortunately, it's not a perfect fit...

OTOH, I'm almost 100% certain the TBS cover would have fit the Legend, but I can't try it now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are two types of Thunderbird side covers only one of them fits the legend properly, although you can make the other one fit with wire ties. I know this because I bought one of the ones that doesn't fit from ebay. I think it is the later ones that fit, you can check parts compatibility on the Fowlers website. Fowlers Parts | Genuine Motorcycle Parts & Spares.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I will probably just put a hole in the one I have and find a suitable grommet to fit. I was just thinking of saving myself some work.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Yeah, should have said nameplate and I was under the impression the plate was bolted on. Am I wrong?
Gotcha, I don’t remember if mine is bolted on? I think so but too lazy to go out into the cold garage and remove it :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I thought for some reason they were bolted on. I figured if the nameplate was bolted on an easy swap would solve the issue. I guess that is not the case so modifying my existing cover is the way to go.
Bob

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I just checked on my 96 Thunderbird and they are, as I remembered, bolted on

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a question about the painted side covers. Are they the same between Thunderbird and Legend? I am particularly interested in the left side cover with the key hole off of Thunderbird, would it fit the Legend?
Thanks
Bob
Bob,

Before you go further you may want to remove your existing cover (if you haven't already) and ensure that the two brass threaded inserts on the rear left side side of the air cleaner housing, which the key unlock fitting is retained by, are still intact.

If not, you'll either need to source an intact replacement housing or cobble something alternate together.

FWIW, it's not too tough to create the opening for the key's housing, using a tipped bit, provided you measure at least twice before starting ;)

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have already had the cover off and the brass inserts are there. That is the big concern, putting the hole in the right place. I think besides measuring multiple times I will start with a smaller hole and enlarge it as neccessary if it is not quite on center.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts